Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Obsessing about semen retention
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Louie

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  2:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In both the Taoist and Tantric schools they strongly emphasize that retaining semen is important if a man wants to increase his chi or prana and grow toward spiritual enlightenment. Each time that a man ejaculates he releases a lot of energy from his body. This is energy that could be used for better purposes.

However, I think that it is important to NOT become obsessed about this. Otherwise, the fixation on retaining semen can become another trap for the ego mind that actually hinders a person's growth.

I have been on multiple forums where people are beating themselves up because they cannot achieve the degree of control over their semen that they want. Maybe they have trouble staying ahead of orgasm during intercourse. Maybe they are having nocturnal emmissions. Suffice it to say that they have the best intentions to retain all semen and it is not working for them. They respond to this by being angry with themselves.

I think it is imporatnt to maintain perspective on this kind of thing. All of the body's natural processes are healthy in moderation, and this includes ejaculation. Sometimes the body will have more sexual energy than it can comfortably hold. Unless you know high level practices for grounding this energy, you will sometimes need to ejaculate to restore balance.

We also need to keep in mind that practices like deep meditation and pranayama will release energy stored in cellular memory. Sometimes the energy that comes up will be intense and may activate your sexual center in a big way. This means that a person who has successfully gone months without ejaculating may suddenly find that the urge is incerdibly strong for a few days or weeks. You just have to accept that this is part of the purification process. You have wet dreams for a while and then it goes away again.

However, if you spend the whole time being furious with your body about the wet dreams then you are working at cross purposes. You are actively doing practices to purify, and then being upset when the energy comes out in ways that you do not like.

So, I think it is imporatant to respect the body's natural wisdom. If it really needs to vent some sexual energy, then so be it. being furious about the whole thing will not help your spiritual growth in any way. Just forgive yourself whenever it happens and carry on with your practices.

It is my opinion that the purification of the nervous system and the clearing of cellular memories is more important than retaining sexual energy in the long run. If doing regular deep meditation means that my libido goes haywire for a while then so be it. The loss of chi will be temporary. I will get it back. The cleaner and more enlightened state of my being will be permanent.

broken heart

India
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  2:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louie
Your advice may be suitable for some, but not for others. Nocturnal emissions are not necessary symptoms of release of excessive energy. More often than not, they are due to unfulfilled sexual desires and the lack of a partner. They indicate you are doing something wrong. Wrong includes not attracting the partner. Married men and men with partners seldom face nocturnal emissions. Sexual union without ejaculation is a divine act. So nocturnal emissions are a punishment in many cases, and I know from experience they are far more draining than waking ejaculations.

Edited by - broken heart on Jan 31 2012 3:47:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  7:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with Louie. You may not desire a partner but still have a rough time with this stuff and its good to look at the long run not the short term. Perhaps some people do need a little more pressure however to maintain discipline once they chose that discipline so it really is an individual things.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  11:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post Louie! Even my teacher used to say the same.. the over-obsession with noctural emission. When the time is ripe, energy will be circulated internally without our interference.
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou, I agree with your comments about cellular regeneration etc. However, In my experience, moving beyond one chakra to another takes a lot of hard work in terms of sadhana, life experiences and so on. Especially when you are hovering somewhere between heart chakra and manipuraka and you have to ascend higher, sexual vasanas would have to be re experienced to some extent and then successfully pushed aside. If you have such vairaghya where you are willing to goto any extremes to make your progress, then progress is inevitable. However it is equal to being inhuman to one's own feelings and emotions. These are hugely connected to the body and only when we reasonably transcend the body we are able to make real spiritual progress and be rooted in reality.

Thus it is based on where you are, your karmas and will only be required if you are very very serious about your spirit's elevation!

with much love

sivasambo

Edited by - sivasambho on Mar 23 2012 11:14:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Often, even with the most sincere of intentions, we cannot make the jump from idealizing those intentions to realizing them. That is when we tend to beat ourselves up. However, know this--even having such noble intentions with a sincere heart is a foot in the door, and as Lao Tze said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." My own guru used to tell us, "Well begun is half done." So the intention is that single step, it is well begun. How that plays out in our real life is not always totally within our control, as others have already said. Maybe we're just not physically ready yet to accomplish such a difficult degree of self-control. Some people can't seem to establish sufficient self-control to even meditate regularly! So it's all relative. Many other life circumstances other than intention play into this. Keep your intentions sincere, stay innocent in all of your practices, and accept where you are as WHO you are, always striving effortlessly to seek that next phase...
Namaste,
Michael
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000