AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 falling tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  04:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
have been contemplating this one for the last couple days, also noticed maheswari has too, however in a different text.

so if i am not aware of anything outside the "counsciousness of Neil" and I am not aware of any wars in the world, poverty in the world, hunger in the world, does it exist?

I have heard that we create our own reality, yet to what extent, if I never think of hunger in the world then it doesnt exist to me, yet are their people still suffering?

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  2:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a few unexamined assumptions here Neil

Hint: -

See if you can find an edge or boundary to your Consciousness/Awareness

The Direct Path is not about what anyone tells you, it's about exploring your own present experience.

I love this exploration.

Let's explore together.

With Love

gatito
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  3:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It can't really be told. Brother Neil is right, it's about your own exploration beyond a certain point. Nothing anyone says or writes makes sense beyond the practical techniques. It's like entering a singularity. Beyond the event horizon the rules suddenly change.

The questions you ask are entirely relevant, follow them to the source, or to the outer boundaries, however seems right, it's your ride. It's only when you perceive from that point that you see that the question is actually irrelevant. This is why SI is so often disturbing because it forces the mind to bounce off both perceptions and can de-stabilise because of the perceptual split.

If your ready for it, then it's a fast track to the beginnings of something new. If you aren't it can throw you into a tail spin where nothing feels real, but everything takes on an additional intensity.

Be careful with it. Tiny steps.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  4:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If your ready for it, then it's a fast track to the beginnings of something new. If you aren't it can throw you into a tail spin where nothing feels real, but everything takes on an additional intensity.

It is also (from a certain perspective) self-limiting but you will need to keep yourself grounded.

With Love

gatito
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  4:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gatito

quote:

It is also (from a certain perspective) self-limiting but you will need to keep yourself grounded.

With Love

gatito

Yes, definitely. It creates it's own self generated mountain in response, which can be equally frustrating and as you say, grounding is very important.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  4:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yes, definitely. It creates it's own self generated mountain in response, which can be equally frustrating and as you say, grounding is very important.

This is because you are going in circles with some of your assumptions. You are not examining your present experience.

This is why I've suggested that you start with examining your Consciousness/Awareness and see if you can find a boundary. This will unstick you. Forget wars etc. for the time being, we can come back to examine suffering later if you want.

What will happen with this inquiry is a falling away of some of the rest of your question because it will be seen that it's based on false premises.

They will simply cease being relevant questions. (This doesn't mean that you will stop caring about the world, in a certain sense, you will care more).

The heart of the Direct Path is your present experience, which will turn out to be Happiness/Peace/Love.

With Love

gatito
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  5:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Think we are at cross purposes. I was simply agreeing with your response.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  5:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Think we are at cross purposes. I was simply agreeing with your response.

My sense was that you simply added a relevant caveat Thank you for that. You were right to do so. We're all looking out for each other here.

With Love

gatito
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  02:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
What will happen with this inquiry is a falling away of some of the rest of your question because it will be seen that it's based on false premises.

They will simply cease being relevant questions. (This doesn't mean that you will stop caring about the world, in a certain sense, you will care more).

very well said...one spontaneously drops asking those questions like why there is war,death,earthquakes, famine...personally when this happened with me 2 years ago i spontaneously stopped reading or watching the news, or watching TV...what for? it is not relevant to my present experience...and i am not talking from insenstivity cause i m from Lebanon and experienced civil war,death,crime for many many years
so now for example when i go to work my collegues might tell me
you dont know yet that an earthquake happened in such and such country and it is a disaster??!!....i dont understand why they are worried and dramatising about an experience that is not part of their own personal experience...why are their filling their mind with all these useless thoughts creating self afflicted mental energy drain and fatigue?
but this does not mean that i dont care or i am insensitive...it is a nuance that i dont know how to explain in words...
also this does not mean i am living in my own bubble cause one will always hear the news from other people.you will always have drama queens around you ....it just it does not affect me, it is not my experience now
in case it becomes my experience i will deal with it then...
funy enough in my immediate environment i became more helpful,loving etc....in my immediate environment not in a country miles amd miles away and that is not part of my experience

Edited by - maheswari on Jan 27 2012 02:11:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  05:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If what we're talking about here was seen by everyone, it would spell the end of war, poverty and hunger.

So let's change the world one conversation at a time (as someone wise in the ways of the world and the spirit said to us at a satsang last Wednesday ).

And after you have looked for an edge or boundary to your Awareness/Consciousness (and failed to find it ), consider whether there is any evidence for Awareness/Consciousness being two (or more).

Regarding whether we create our own reality, you could experiment with treating others as though the Awareness/Consciousness in them is the same as your "own" and see what happens.

Usually, this is easier to practice with "strangers"

With Love

gatito
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  10:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I pondered the edge of my consciouness, and heard the wind blowing outside. in a certain sense some questions just arent that relative, ill keep doing the meditation and see where it leads, hopefully more and more peace, compasion, and trance moments where im lost in the moment and things seem more alive.
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  12:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. It seemed that you'd got stuck in a non-relational loop. (It happens. ) Cultivate the witness with DM and the self-inquiry will arise relationally. The questions that are relevant to you will arise naturally. It seems that this question arose and was relevant and that you've found the answer for yourself now. No need to force anything. It's gentle and loving. Greg Goode talks about the "sweetness" of the inquiry.

Yes. Certainly more Peace/Love/Happiness.

You will find yourself in the moment - there is only now.

With Love
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  11:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Neil

I been pondering our brief interaction - a lot.

On mature reflection, I don't believe that "you were stuck in a non-relational loop".

Please accept my sincere apologies.

With Love

Gatito
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  8:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
no worries on this end Gatito
Go to Top of Page

gatito

United Kingdom
179 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  9:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very glad.

Perhaps another time?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000