Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Led Zeppelin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  04:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Led Zeppelin 's Stairway to heaven...excellent music and lyrics....

"Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9TGj2jrJk8

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've become convinced over the years that much of humankind's "best" art/music/poetry, etc. has been channelled... "muses" are not abstract concepts ;)

(and related to your post, Yogesh, Mick Jagger has said much the same thing about his writing process for many of his songs)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  12:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
iron maiden,nirvana,rolling stones, black sabbath etc...you name it ...all have faced the same accusations.....art comes from inner silence....
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  08:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Hammer of the Gods" is a really good book if you want to learn about Led Zep (at least up to Plant's solo career, that is). I always liked the story about how Page came up with the band's name. According to legend, Plant had asked Keith Moon from The Who to be the drummer for the new band he was trying to form from the ashes of The Yard Birds. Moon made an off-hand remark like, "That would go over like a lead balloon with Roger and Peter (Daltery and Townsend. This inspired Page to call his new band Lead Zeppelin, but he changed the spelling to Led fearing that dense Americans would read it as Leed instead of lead.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  09:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There was also Iron Butterfly at that same time and drug soaked fans thought it was so profound that the name is "Heavy" and "Light" at the same time. . .

I wouldn't say "dense americans" though. There are two meanings for lead, and the first is to be the first of a group, not the name of a heavy metal. So "led" forces it to be pronounced like the metal.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jan 15 2012 10:02:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Etherfish, "dense Americans" were Pages words, not mine, though as an American I can attest to the fact of being very dense and lead-like at times.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  01:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is so funny how british and american people gossip about each other!!!
i love Jimmy Page a music genius
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  08:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

Sorry Etherfish, "dense Americans" were Pages words, not mine, though as an American I can attest to the fact of being very dense and lead-like at times.

Me too. I understand what he means by dense americans too. That's where they make all their money. I liked them when they first came out, got tired of them after a few years of constant radio play. we got a break for a while, then I played in local club bands in the 70's, and got constant Leed Zep requests which we didn't play. Then in the 80's I worked construction and the radio played them several times a day. Got another break, then when I moved here the construction sites played a local station that played stairway several times a day.
Doesn't matter how good a song is, after a certain number of times you get tired of it. i would say I've heard stairway in the tens of thousands of times! So yes, i see those people playing it several times every day as being dense!
But of course, for those of you who haven't been immersed in it, enjoy as I did the first few years.
If I don't hear a song for years, I enjoy hearing it again. But not much chance of that with zeppelin where I live! Now the younger generation likes it and plays it on their stations too- I hear it at stop lights.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000