Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Two years later.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stoat

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  8:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit stoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. I started a thread as a new forum member two years ago, received helpful feedback, and then lived my life with only occasional visits as a reader to this site since. I'm not sure why. Feel free to refer back to my original posts for my background and general situation.
Anyway, I'm currently finding that the more clear I become about who I seem to be as an individual these days (despite an awareness of not being one), the more I'm able to be in my heart and help others (I work as a psychotherapist). So on the one hand, not owning siddhis and understandings and ordinary talents seems to be consistent with my deeper sense of not being an individual, but the net result of fully acknowledging them internally has yielded benefits to all. I walk around loving most everyone I meet, and I feel happy. It's a striking contrast to my earlier "self", who never seemed to be deriving the benefits that others did from their spiritual work.
Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks.

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  9:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey stoat, I just read your old topic. Did you take up AYP practices after that last post two years ago?

Of all the siddhis you mentioned back then, the only one I can relate to is synchronicity. And hey, there was a recent synchronicity involving a fetus. Two fetuses actually :) Twins. I don't think of them as any kind of power that I have. I don't think of myself as causing them any more than they caused me. Anyway, in the lessons here, Yogani has written that these things are scenery along the path. Beautiful things for sure, that we get to watch go by, as we go on our way without getting attached to them. They are just little miracles that happen from a place of love, in a way that I could never predict or take advantage of. I just smile deeply when they happen.
Go to Top of Page

stoat

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  10:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I never did AYP practices. Despite the common (and uncommon) sense of this suggestion, it didn't feel right for me, and I've gotten used to trusting this as my best guideline. On the other hand, mostly things haven't changed -- but my relationship to them has. I am so much more content than I was.
Congratulations on your twins, JDH. Now there's a miracle.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My brother's twins. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  03:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi, Stoat! I'm relatively new to AYP (about 6-7 months) but doing yoga for 35 years. I wasn't here when you first posted, but I have gone back and read your original posts. I am trained as a psychologist but, in addition teaching yoga, currently work for Psychic Source and Hollywood Psychics as a tarot reader because my California credentials are not accepted here in Florida where I now live. So I appreciate your experience as a psychotherapist. I have found a wonderful sangha with the most incredible, intelligent, loving people here at AYP.
You asked for our "thoughts" but what exactly is your question? You haven't been doing AYP practices but you are back here 2 years later sharing with us for some reason. Welcome back! What are you seeking and/or how can we help? Would love to hear more.

Edited by - Radharani on Jan 05 2012 03:19:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

stoat

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  10:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit stoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently the more clear I become about myself, the less clear I am when I write about it.
What I'm wondering is what folks think about the counterintuitive (AYP-wise) relationship between having a stronger sense of myself and being more loving and happy. It would seem as though most people here are seeking a sort of transcendance from their false individuality and owning the fruits of their developmental stage (spiritually) would represent something problematical. So how does my experience fit into yoga?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a natural unfolding whichever way it is. Everyone according to their various natures and characters is working their way to union(Yoga).

There is a direction even without obvious intent, all that is required is to have a desire for truth. That desire implies a direction, even of not a destination.

Getting to know yourself is an important milestone, doing right actions, right thinking, right communication is all a necessary part of an ongoing evolution. How could that possibly be in conflict with AYP?

The AYP practices are one such tool that move us towards Union and Truth. The advantages in everyday life such as out flowing Love, better internal feelings, less confusion, the end of suffering are all drivers that most of us are looking for. AYP is one way of attaining some of those changes in critical thinking.

None of us would criticise your own personal journey, because we understand there are other ways of growth and different goals.

No one needs to do anything at all if they are happy with their own gradual evolution. Yoga practices are for those that know they need it., just as some plants need more water, or Sun.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  2:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stoat
...relationship between having a stronger sense of myself and being more loving and happy.

Hi Stoat,

I worked for a while as a clinical social worker using (among other methods) a family therapy model created by Murray Bowen. Bowen talks about "self differentiation" and has a kind of scale discussed here:
http://ideastoaction.wordpress.com/...f-self-scal/

Perhaps you've heard of it.

Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Apparently the more clear I become about myself, the less clear I am when I write about it.
What I'm wondering is what folks think about the counterintuitive (AYP-wise) relationship between having a stronger sense of myself and being more loving and happy. It would seem as though most people here are seeking a sort of transcendance from their false individuality and owning the fruits of their developmental stage (spiritually) would represent something problematical. So how does my experience fit into yoga?

Hi Stoat,

I don't see how your approach is counterintuitive (AYP-wise). There are many approaches, but the first big step is always learning to accept yourself. It sounds like you are well on the way.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  5:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome back, stoat

I see nothing problematic or counter-intuitive in what you're saying. Could you please elaborate?

It's wonderful that you're helping people and being loving and happy. I'd take that over siddhis any day

[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

stoat

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for all the feedback.
To Karl -- I found your words especially helpful as this is the way I typically approach things when I'm not adapting to something new or otherwise getting caught in self-doubt. I think I struggle sometimes with holding both my hard-earned (and others') point of view when new experience seems to challenge it. The key phrase here, I think, is "seems to".
To Jeff and others. Yes, thank you. This all does seem to be a version of self-acceptance. In this case, I'm realizing that I have resisted the positive reality of who I (currently) am out of fear (of grandiousity, new responsibilities, and new, possibly problematic understandings of who others are).
To Bewell -- I actually used Bowen as my model for my state licensing oral exam 20 years ago, but have forgotten all about it as I've worked in the trenches. Thanks for the link.
It certainly hasn't felt like something going wrong in my life. I guess I was looking for an appraisal from this forum's point of view in case I was missing something. When I had a guru years ago, he was so intent on reducing my ego that anything that felt good, light and easy, etc was suspect. It's hard to fully shrug this off since he was very helpful in some other respects.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  01:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

It's not problematical. Here's the thing: Even when we fully realize who we are as the Self, the One who transcends everything, at the same time we are still here in this body on earth. It's different for everybody, but for me it's like being an actor playing a role. While I know it's only a role, I want to play it to the best and fullest possible extent, with sincerity and enthusiasm. Each of us is a perfect expression of the One in our particular unique form and role. The role is necessary in order to participate effectively in human society. You can accept and embrace that role without being trapped or limited by it. Transcendence does not mean we no longer have a personality; the ego still exists and functions, it just isn't our focus anymore, it's not our true identity. I do not think there is a problem unless there is more to the story than you are saying. My only caution would be, don't be attached to the siddhis and/or your ownership of them, because that can become a distraction on the spiritual path. But I'm sure you already know that. All the best to you!
Go to Top of Page

stoat

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  02:01:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit stoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. I'm convinced. I don't have a problem. It is as you say, Radharani.
Thanks everyone..
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  03:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Okay. I'm convinced. I don't have a problem. It is as you say, Radharani.
Thanks everyone..

Excellent! Love to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000