Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Brahmacharya and build up of energy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svarupa

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  11:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste,
I have a question and was wondering if anyone can suggest something. I am trying to practice strict bramhacharya. Even though i failed many many times I continue to improve and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted.

I seem to have a pattern which repeats itself over and over and which leads to my breaking my vow. My sadhana consists of some suriya namaskara, 5 tibetans, some leg stretches, japa, nose tip meditation, shambhavi mudra and meditation on "I AM". The sadhana, and mostly the 5 tibetans, is what builds up strong energy in my body. Energy that sometimes feels like it is just "bouncing around" without being directed to a specific purpose. Once this is happening, my mind becomes restless and only meditation will "balance it". Yet it takes effort at that point to mindfully practice the sadhana and get into the meditative state because of the monkey mind.

Is pranayama the key component which "balances" the energy? I do not practice any pranayama currently because I hurt my lungs last year from overdoing nadi shodana and not having a stable asana. Therefore this year I told myself that until i can sit very comfortable and completely relax in padmasana/half padmasana i will not practice pranayama again.

My intuition also tells me that the energy is not being guided into one purpose because of my a lack of discipline of my mind. I have also been working hard on this lately. Currently it seems when the buddhi says "you should do this", the manas says "well you dont have to" and the ahankara says "why you doing this". :)

Has anyone had a similar experience with the build up of energy that seems like it is just "stirring" the lake of the mind and is not being directed for a specific purpose? How does one "balance" the energy?

Take care,
svarupa

Moderator note : edited for formatting only

Edited by - AYPforum on Dec 30 2011 4:22:56 PM

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome svarupa,

I think you are being so strict with yourself.As with nadi shodhan pranayama you have overdone it and whenever you breath in or breath out make sure you are not exerting more pressure(I feel thats what u have done with nadi shodan pranayama).I suggest you introduce Spinal breathing pranayama and see how you feel about it I am sure it'll fix the problem.

You can also try the following method:

Sit down in sukhasan and keep your left palm facing up the ceiling/sky and place your right hand palm on the ground.Now imagine all the bad/negaive and excessive energy from your left side is going to the ground through your right hand.

Now place your right hand palm facing up the ceiling and raise your left hand up on the ether ie up towards the sky and imagine all the excessive,bad/nagative energy from your right side is sent to the ether.

Now bring both then hands together to Indian style namaste to end it.

Love n Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page

svarupa

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  12:30:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Viji,
Thank you for your assistance.
I have a question about the method provided.

1) When i raise the left hand to the either, my arm is parallel to the spine and my hand is almost perpendicular to the hand.
Is that correct?

2) Should the energy leaving be imagines with inhaling/exhaling or breathing does not matter?

Thank you for your help.

Take care,
svarupa
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  05:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Svarupa,

Sorry for late reply. For the first question yes that method is correct.

For the second question no need to pay attention to your inhalation or exhalation you just imagine the bad/over load/negative energy just leaving.No need to pay attention on your breathing.

hope that helps!

Love n Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page

svarupa

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  11:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Viji. I appreciate your help with this.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  12:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think that this is a very common stage that many go through. AYP pranayama and meditation with kechari really works well for me. MUCH less issues of this sort anymore though age can be a factor. As you get older if you continue practicing your practice deepens as well as your hormones settle a bit. Just think about the long run, this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you harmed yourself with nadi shodhna it shows me that you are a bit overzealous. Just self pace and find a personal balance. Yogani spells out very clearly the best way to sit. I was a bit more formal myself and so took longer to progress in some ways. Siddhasana is the best position for practice but teh real key is to not feel strain or discomfort in your sitting posture while at the same time sitting upright. The rest of teh details will come as practice unfolds
Go to Top of Page

showup

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2012 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit showup's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by svarupa
Is pranayama the key component which "balances" the energy?

No...pranayama will increase your energy level further high...
Meditation/Yoga nidhra/Nishtai will help you to ground your energy.
quote:
Originally posted by svarupa
I have a question and was wondering if anyone can suggest something. I am trying to practice strict bramhacharya. Even though i failed many many times I continue to improve and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted. I seem to have a pattern which repeats itself over and over and which leads to my breaking my vow.

Without pranayama it will take really long... long... time to stabilize in bramhacharya. If you are performing regular pranayama it would take about 3-5 years to establish in bramhacharya. If you can't perform pranayama (because of health reasons) try the devotinal path along with your yogic practise. The devotion (towards God/Guru) will eventually establish you in bramhacharya but will take longer time frame than the pranayama. I hope this helps.

Edited by - showup on Apr 06 2012 10:07:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  9:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Svarupa,

Its great you are able to do this with intensity. I do have one question for you. If you are practising tibetan yoga, were you initiated into the secret mantra practice? I think the answer lies in tibetan practices for your situation. Please approach your guru and seek help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000