Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Kapalbhati Can kill you? Article
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  04:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I am doing Kapalbhati quite often but then I came across this article http://www.livemint.com/2011/06/232...ing-you.html

that states "Every diaphragm-deflating session may double the risk of a heart attack and other illnesses, say experts"

How true is that statement? do I have any reason to worry?

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  2:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting article. I know that Iyengar is not a proponant of Kapalabhati or Bhastrika. He does teach it in his books but only for a few breaths at a time, maybe 10 breaths in a cycle.
Personally when I was young I would practice it for up to 10-15 minutes at a stretch with no ill effects but I was young and healthy and was very well practiced in asana. I say no ill effect but also no real deeper effect as I have found in AYP SB pranayama. It is invigorating and helps wake up the circulation but from my experience 1 minute should be sufficient to get benefits.
All pranayama can be dangerous. Incorrect practice of breath retention can cause stress to the nerves and possibly effect the heart. Pranayama needs to be practiced with great sensitivity, regularity and care. It is much better to underdo that overdo.That said, I believe that considering the limitations of the lack of direct personal contact that Yogani has been doing an outstanding job of teaching pranayama to as wide an audience as possible. At that point, the responsibility falls on the practitioner to pay very close attention to the messages that their own body sends during practice and self pace accordingly. As for other teachers, I can't say and I personally have never heard of any deaths ascribed to yoga practices. I have however many times in my life had to correct my pranayama practice due to ill effects that I could feel in the form of emotional or neurological stress that usually quickly responded to corrections in practice. The breath is a very subtle and very deep and very core to our life itself and needs to be worked with in the most sensitive way possible in order to get benefit.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000