Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How to re-balance an unbalance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  2:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
If daily meditation causes an unbalance and causes ones negative emotions to run wild, how would one recreate balance and how long would it typically take to re-balance?

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  4:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They say leaving practices behind for a little (bhakti included), doing stuff like yard work, eating red meat I think it is, walking in the grass without shoes, things like that. Sometimes you just gotta wait it out. Sometimes doing anything just makes it worse.

I've had to go to the hospital once, because of too much energy in my head that almost jolted down my body. I thought I'd pass out. Though it was rather pleasant hehehe, so much energy I was all giddy and blissful but scared all at the same time. Kundalini is a wild beast at times hehe

If you've done crown chakra work, stay clear from that. It can bring up loads of karmah. In fact, just yesterday I almost got full enlightenment by facing collective kharmic consciousness and going through what was most fearful in the world. I couldn't do it fully though, and so I'm just choosing to get there more gradually. I started reading the book Transcendent Wisdom by the Dalai Lama, I understand too much hehe.

Me, I don't even use the mantra I AM. I'm not one for Karmah busting mantras, I believe you gotta learn the lessons in life instead of just purifying yourself through a mantra and seeing through duality.

When I have used the I AM mantra, I feel it "dislodges" karmah going from a feeling to a thought, and then I handle the thought as well as I can, seeing it to its end just normally. I don't like thinking of thoughts as just scenery and letting them pass you by, I like my thoughts :). Maybe try that for a little while, instead of bringing up karmah and not handling it (im not saying that's the problem, but I do see how that could happen).
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  9:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Searching,

I've found exercise to be great for grounding. You might consider increasing physical activity. For myself, I need to get my heart rate up into the aerobic zone 4-5 times per week. You also might try eating a heavier diet. Personally, I see meat eating as being disadvantageous, particularly in regards to negative emotional states. There are many ways to eat a heavier diet for grounding purposes, such as including more nuts, seeds, potatoes, and legumes. However, I don't see this as being a good long term solution, but it can help when needed.

If you can tell us about your routine- including which practices you are doing, the amount of time you are practicing, and what your diet and physical activity is, it might help to us to point you in the right direction. If you haven't read lesson 367 yet ( http://www.aypsite.org/367.html ) , I'd recommend it. It could be that you are over sensitive. If so, there are some techniques worth trying (such as reducing practice times to a few minutes per day). On the other hand, there is a fair amount of pain inherent in purification, and in life generally. It's wise of you to address the situation, and I hope you find a sustainable and appropriate practice routine.

Edited by - chas on Nov 17 2011 9:45:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  10:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with chas, and yes some more information about your practice will give way to better understanding.

quote:

and how long would it typically take to re-balance?

I would say try to avoid building any such expectations, just focus on doing the right thing and let it unfold at its own pace.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  02:05:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Divinies thanks for sharing your personal experience and the techniques that work for you...but keep in mind that Searching is attempting to do DM while as you said you do NOT use AYAM mantra

@Searching you received good tips from Chas and Swan...please provide us further details about your practices and their duration ...

all the best
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  11:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its hard for me to tell if im oversensitive or not since my emotions have been wild for months. 2 weeks after starting, the nasty emotions disappeared and I experienced a great deal of joy and peace. During this peaceful time I added SPB. Then, another 2 weeks later, I went right back to a mess of emotions again. Im trying to figure out what this was. I have experimented with different times and practices but nothing changes. I stopped for 5 days and no changes. Im back to doing 20min a day with SPB now. I had sensitivity issues at first with wake induced lucid dreams but they are gone. Carson has been immensely helpful with past issues but I dont want to keep bugging him. also, I stated DM 4 months ago andpracticed as instructed by yogani.
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adam,

I wouldn't practice SBP until gaining stability with meditation for one to two months. Ten minutes twice per day of DM should be sufficient to increase inner silence while keeping purification and negative symptoms to a more manageable level. Allow at least two weeks to determine the effects of practice adjustments. If you don't see improvement after two weeks, then I would drop DM time to five minutes. You can adjust down from there if you need to. Have faith Adam, this will pass.

Edited by - chas on Nov 18 2011 2:33:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  3:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many posts about grounding in this thread:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5464#49851
(however, I think I over-simplified the "Tantric" there; when there, it's not grounding, but the day/days after, there's often a feeling of clarity, energy, and balance).
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  7:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great info guys. I really appreciate your time.
Any specific grounding techniques recommended? Should I continue with DM during this process or give it t
ime off? Its been pretty nasty and I dont want to worsen it. Thanks again guys.
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  9:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are most welcome Adam.
If you're inclined to take some time off, then do that. You can pick this up later.

A few specific grounding methods:

Walk outside
Attack a punching bag
Tai Chi or other martial arts
Swim
Run
Lie down on the ground or floor
Lift weights
Play sports

Edited by - chas on Nov 18 2011 9:58:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  10:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Searching,

I have gone through a phase when staying away from all the practices, and some grounding also did not give me the relief as my overloaded condition continued. Then directed to lesson #71 and this was it. It really took great care of my imbalances.

http://www.aypsite.org/71.html

Look at the para where he says - 'It may even be necessary if you are having some kundalini imbalances. Asanas can help smooth out the inner currents. '

Do you do asanas? then this could be a highly grounding practice, also it channelizes the energy in right direction.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  12:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally recommend to drop SPB entirely. Focus on DM and cut down the time as much as needed. This can be as extrem as just a few min. per session or just by 5 min. It is up to you to find the right way. I would suggest to keep practicing, and not stop entirely. But sometimes there is no way around stopping practice. Also, it might help to switch to breath watching meditation till you feel more stable.
For the future, I would be more carefull about adding practices. I personally have added way too much in a short amount of time and I'm still paying the price for it. For myself, I have set up the rule of having a stable practice for at least 2 month in one area before even considerîng to add anything new.
We all leanr by falling on our nose sveral times :) or how else did you learn to walk ;)
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  3:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yaming, on AYP lesson 69 Yogani states the following for balancing kundalini: "First off, if you have not already, it is suggested you begin a light session of spinal breathing before meditation, only five or ten minutes. See if that brings some balance". On the other hand he does mention that meditation time can be cut down as you said. What to do?

Swan, this is a good idea, I forgot about this lesson. I will have to pick up the book on asanas. I currently do not do any asanas or yoga of any kind.

Chas, I would love to do some outdoor walking or jogging but it is getting cold on most days here with the exception of a few warm days once in a while. As for Tai Chi, I have been considering Qigong. Will this have any grounding effects?

Hathateacher, I like your suggestions for grounding. Is there a book or video I can pick up somewhere that gives more instructions on how to perform these? I have also been considering Hatha Yoga for some time now. Does this have any balancing effects in itself?

Thanks again for all your time, I do appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  4:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

As for Tai Chi, I have been considering Qigong. Will this have any grounding effects?
quote:

I don't have experience with Qigong. It appears to be grounding. Qigong + regular vigorous exercise seems like it would be most excellent.

Edited by - chas on Nov 19 2011 4:55:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

chas

USA
209 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  11:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Adam,
Regarding asanas, "Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika" by B.K.S. Iyengar is very good. http://www.amazon.com/Light-Yoga-B-..._at_ep_dpt_1
You might also check your local area for yoga studios.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  09:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Searching...The complete illustrated book of yoga by Swami Vishnudevanada also a great book..
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Illu...98861&sr=8-1
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  11:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
By all means, try Qigong if that is what you are attracted to as a way to balance your meditation. From the readings, it is said that tai chi is mostly grounding with some opening. If it helps you, good enough.

I've done some taijiquan, qigong and taoist meditation before ayp, and after experimenting and reading about it, I am not any closer to understanding the elusive concepts of grounding/opening any more than a beginner's insight into the practical wisdom behind passages such as "Daoists often make the mistake of labouring Shen and only raising Qi...thus Qi disperses and Shen's residence rots" (trans. Jwing-Ming Yang).

In short, do also have faith in your own ability to verify for yourself whether something is helpful or not (the inner guru).

Also, I find it is possible to jog in winter by dressing appropriately (!!) and adjusting to the conditions as they come. Sure, it is a challenge to take on gradually, and it won't work out every single time just right, but you don't need some special resistance to cold to do it from my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Searching

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  11:57:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the great advice everyone. I had no idea where to even start but all of you have given me some insight (and motivation )
Sorry for all the questions but my trial and error habits have gotten me is some tough situations in the past so I thought it would be best to ask for advice from those with experience.
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  12:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know Taijiquan is considered to be grounding here. However, it can be used as a spiritual practice in which case it does not necessarily has to be grounding. The same goes for Qigong. Everything depends on the practitioner and how he practices the exercises.
If one approaches it with the mindset of energy cultivation, I would consider it adding a new spiritual practice.
As for adding/continuing spinal breathing or not: I would just see how it feels. Sometimes it does help to stabilize sometimes it doesn't. I am sure with some practice and searching you will find the answer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000