Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Which traditional yogic system is AYP most like?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  9:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Which traditional yogic system is AYP most like? Sorry if this has been addressed on here somewhere but couldn't find any specific thread. So which system would AYP be the most similar to? thanks

Edited by - AYPforum on Oct 31 2011 12:23:27 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  12:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LittleTurtle!

I've wondered the same. The best answer I have found came from Holy a while back:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8613#74097

Holy does not reference Satyananda yoga (Bihar School, see the book on Tantra and Kundalini) which teaches kechari mudra and which could have been an influence in other ways. I would say that "whole body mudra" is the inner fruition of mahamudra without having to do asanas and breath retentions taught in Satyananda tradition.

The English phrase "ecstatic conductivity" is Yogani's invention, but "pure bliss consciousness" is borrowed (I do not recall from where). As far as I can tell, Yogani may have invented or given his own spin on the specifically "relational" notion of "self-inquiry."

Edited by - bewell on Oct 31 2011 8:07:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  9:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS I am curious about the history of the tradition behind AYP, but hopefully not to the point of distraction. I did asanas in the Satyananda yoga tradition and also practiced Centering Prayer as taught by Thomas Keating (which has twice daily twenty minute sits and is influenced by TM) for years prior to finding AYP. When we come to AYP from other systems of practice, we tend to pick out aspects of AYP that resonate with our prior experiences. That said, we tend to stick with the AYP approach when we find that it empowers us as individual yoga practitioners, and that it works in a smooth, progressive way.

Edited by - bewell on Oct 31 2011 9:55:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  11:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lesson 253, and the extended book list link therein, has a good summary of the tradition and influences of AYP.
http://www.aypsite.org/253.html
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  01:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000