Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Mudras and Meditating
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stelio75

Cyprus
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  07:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody!
Please I would like to know 1) Where must i have my hands while meditating.Do you recommend specific mudras?
2)While meditating with the mandra IAM ,thought the eyes are closed,where must i have my attention eg. In the area in front of the eye(Chidakash),in my breath etc?
Thanks
Stelios

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  08:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stelio

Hand mudras are not used in AYP as Yogani had said that they are a distraction (if memory serves me correctly ). I don't bother with them myself - I just have my hands on my lap, one on top of the other (besides when you ask someone to visualise meditation they always picture the full lotus and the index finger touching the thumb mudra! Very cliched!).

If you have just started practicing do not worry about the location of the mantra. If you are trying to locate it with your awareness then it is not on the mantra - go back to it! There is Solar Centering, but again if you are just starting out leave it for the time being.

Edited by - woosa on Oct 25 2011 08:24:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  1:30:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stalio,

As Woosa said - keep your hands as comfortably so that you cen forget about them (on the lap works for me too). Mudra would require attention to the hand, so it will be a distraction.

On the second question, answer is nowhere but on the mantra. Sometimes it is naturally located somewhere, but TRYING to locate it is not recommended.

All the best...
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the index finger touching thumb mudra, but because I've been using it prior to AYP and to me I feel it would be a distraction not to, though it is very relaxed and balanced so I don't know if it counts as the real mudra even.

The idea from the lessons is to have only the mantra and minimize other distractions so that it is most effective. The only time a mudra would be useful is when you feel you need it, and I guess we'll know when that time is beyond a doubt.

You might come across an optional enhancement in case your mantra gives you 'trouble' with localizing, though no need to veer off a most direct path if all is well and stable.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  5:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the mantra brings out either subtle thought or subtle energy in the body. For me, I just let the mantra go where it goes (it could be in thought or in the body), and I let it get subtle... I kinda let go of it, and just pick it up at where it has subtly gone.

It sometimes brings up past karmah for me also, like it takes the energy in your chakras and brings it to your mind, to understand it and see it as it is.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000