Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 ♦ what 'truth' is to be sought?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gamefu

India
23 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  01:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
what is the whole purpose of spirituality?
why meditate?
what is to be sought?
what 'truth' is to be found?

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  2:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I always picture myself as an almighty (dun duh duh duhhhh hehe) tree with a tire swing.Grounded in reality or your "self", blah, whatever you wanna call it. Call it blah haha. Grounded in Blah, yes. But making room for all to play (tis the tire swing), or/and to be on the path to the end of suffering.

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  3:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of why I do this meditating lark is to experience who i am.

Quite a simple sounding goal, but it's proving quite a lengthy one to accomplish .
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  5:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To find what was never lost. To lose what never was. To live without fear of death, to die without fear of life. To end the suffering and put right what was never wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  7:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, blah, I tried to change the consciousness of pain, and felt god's love one day, that I knew would transcend pain. I thought things should be generally less painful (like skin pain, not emotional pain). I felt he changed it for a little while, only to get me to realize that it was ok all along, and that, I hope... he would intervene if anyone got too much into pain. It's really the torture kind of pain that bugs me, a human inflicting pain on another.

but yeah, there's so many considerations, like self harm people, or suicide or things like that... there'd be more of it (people hurting themselves... or others) if it were less painful, it's like a really fine balance between what's seemingly right and what is right. Unity... god made it so :).

hehe, people thought I enjoyed pain, oh man. I enjoyed painlessness, silly people. This happened in Ottawa... I think a lot of people felt it, cuz some random guy said something to me, without me saying anything to him. Don't worry ottawa folks, it was for the good of man kind... but really just... a lesson in; everything's appropriate.

Nameste to you all :)

and peace out *props*
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2011 :  11:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Divineis

there'd be more of it (people hurting themselves... or others) if it were less painful,

Hmmm I think that's one of those truths to be sought.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  08:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No good reason... Other than to learn how to smile.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  11:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gamefu and All

I don't think there can be any "absolute" answers to these questions (only individual ones)... here are mine:

quote:
Originally posted by gamefu

To learn to see things as they are.

quote:

why meditate?

To learn to see things as they are.

quote:

what is to be sought?

The ability to accept things as they are.

quote:

The truth that everything is exactly as it needs to be.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We all creatures are part of one life-force/prana spreading the whole universe, however, we see ourselves as separate identities, separated by ego. Through spiritual practices/meditation, we try to cool down/turn off the ego infested mind and create an inner silence, which has much better ability to see, analyze, and skim the truth. It removes the veils from our eyes, something that an always chirping mind is not capable to do. Then we start to see who we are and where we are.

Truth is nothing but what remains after all veils of lies and presumptions removed.

My two pennies...

Edited by - Swan on Oct 24 2011 12:12:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  12:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello gamefu;
I like your questions,I've asked myself the same questions

my personal answers are:
1-I don't know
2-Meditation makes me happy!
3-Nothing to be sought from my side.
4-I don't know either..I'm open to possibilities

Love;
Delara
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  9:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of spirituality is to bring a larger perspective of life than can be reached from our own minds alone. The concept that there is a power larger than ourselves opens a perception outside the mundane struggle.

Meditate because it removes stress, the #1 cause of premature aging.
Meditate because it changes your perception, and makes your whole life better.

Nothing is to be sought, except your highest ideal.

The truths to be found can't be described from a mundane point of view. There will be many, but they will be different for each person, and can't be understood well by those who haven't experienced them yet.
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gamefu,

This might not be what you are looking for, but it is an interesting link that could help you.

www.sanatansociety.org/.../T..._the_self.htm

When you're there, go back to the overview on St.Thomas and the Truths" found therein.

nirmal
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  10:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirmal,
The link in your post above does not work.
But maybe this is the link you meant to post?
http://www.sanatansociety.org/yoga_...the_self.htm

If not, please do correct me.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several studies out there that show the benefits of meditation. I personally just meditate to make every day a little bit better. That what appeals to me in ayp. Not some chasing of some abstract idea. I can not relate to any saying of "seeing as the things really are". Maybe one day I understand. Til then I stay with my conviction that there is no so called "absoulte truth" or even the possibility to see anything as it is because we are trapped into our subjective perception.
So just try out to meditate for a year on a regular basis and you will see the benefits. :)
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  02:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

Yes,that is the one.Sorry about that people!

nirmal
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  03:36:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gamefu,

Great questions! Here is my 2 cents:

1. the purpose of spirituality is a desire to know one self. To seek his or her Truth about who they are, and the purpose of life. An intriguing and deep interest in and the world(Universe) and how it all works.
2. I think meditating usually is sought to bring peace of mind and tranquility to self, but expands as one grows deeper into it.
3. I believe each person is perhaps finally searching "God" or higher power to bring into one self and understanding spiritual concepts that connects Self to the Universe.(we are not alone, never have, never will be.)
4. I believe the truth to be found is that we all are one in the Universe. That we are all made of the same "stuff" and including that higher power. That we Are that power(energy, vibreation,intelligence and pure Awareness just to name a few.)Each soul will discover within it's self to find their Own truth and self.

Thoughtful questions indeed!

nirmal
Go to Top of Page

Mikananda

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  4:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings and peace

I believe it comes down to purpose of life itself. We are presently stuck in the wheel of maya. The cycle of birth and death. To be born and then to die is to suffer. The cause of this suffering is attachment (desire). Once a desire has been put into motion is must be fulfilled. These desires spring out of the ego. The ego is the soul identified with the body (physical, astral, casual). In meditation we see that we are not the body, we are not the mind. We are that which is left when these outer coverings have be removed. There was a time when I thought if I melt into GOD what will become of me. I now see that to melt into GOD is not to lose anything but to gain everything.

Edited by - Mikananda on Nov 22 2011 11:31:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  12:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful, Mikananda.
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  4:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gamefu, here are some answers from my humble perspective to your questions:

1)what is the whole purpose of spirituality?
To become first better human beings, strengthened with moral values, and then to realize our true divine nature...once knowing who or what we are...only then the next steps can be taken, leading towards the goal.

2)why meditate?
Because meditation is the only vehicle, which can enable and transport us, to that subtle spiritual realm, where the truth lies...

3)what is to be sought?
Sach-Chit-Anand = Supreme Lord

4)what 'truth' is to be found?
The one that is eternal, self sufficient, beyond births and deaths, changeless,fearless,merciful, without enmity, and omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent, matchless... these are some of the infinite virtues of that truth,which is none other, than the Lord Himself.

Edited by - harsharan000 on Feb 17 2012 5:16:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2012 :  11:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Once you take just one step, there is no looking back. Then, it's not about purpose, but imperative, undeniable.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  7:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Friend,

the answers above are very kind and the writers very humble. Riding on Carson's wise opening:

Bliss needs no reason.
Go to Top of Page

harsharan000

Spain
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  4:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bliss needs no reason is o.k, once reached there......But we should keep in mind that, bliss is a consequence of hard work, love, dedication, regularity, sincerity, moral values,above all grace...all this is required, plus the highway of meditation...to reach that goal of Bliss!
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2012 :  05:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

why meditate?
what is to be sought?

The 'truth' which eliminates all questions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000