Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Your daily practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ahalia

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  07:16:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ahalia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
Incorporating a yoga lifestyle and wondering what a daily routine is like for you.
The guru in me is just waking up

devrim

Thailand
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  10:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit devrim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahalia, its great to hear that the guru in you is waking up. Yoga is just about that. Working on the self to discover what is inside. Take the first steps and develop your own practice, it can be easily done if you follow the lessons here. On your journey you will share much with others that will help spread knowledge of spiritual awareness.
If you have just began an AYP practice i would read or re-read the lessons on Bhakti,fill your daily routine with love and devotion and your can't far wrong.
I wish you a pleasent trip Ahalia and hope this post helps.
devrim.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  4:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ahalia,

Welcome! The paintings on your link are beautiful!

The core practices in AYP twice daily sits are Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama. In terms of time, my whole sit these days takes me about 35 minutes.

Between sits: day to day activities of life. Lighter foods. Caffeine and alcohol in moderation.

Fruits of practices: gradually, a lot less reactivity, and more calm awareness, less fear, more freedom to give attention to others.

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2011 :  6:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi there,

been the same for a few months now: ayp basic asana routine, spinal breathing pranayama (mulabandha, asvini etc..), deep meditation, custom short healing samyama for two people. also add my own brief foot and leg massage-stretch and repeat some of the same asanas to help ease leg and back strain since I don't use back support. my days are also kind of short :( because I like longer sessions, at least as much as my posture allows.

and you, Ahalia?
Go to Top of Page

Ahalia

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  04:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ahalia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

hi there,

been the same for a few months now: ayp basic asana routine, spinal breathing pranayama (mulabandha, asvini etc..), deep meditation, custom short healing samyama for two people. also add my own brief foot and leg massage-stretch and repeat some of the same asanas to help ease leg and back strain since I don't use back support. my days are also kind of short :( because I like longer sessions, at least as much as my posture allows.

and you, Ahalia?

I like your routine, I am new to yoga so I have been trying to establish a routine . I do meditation at dawn.

8am Asanas followed by
pranayama
skin brushing and massage

not sure if that is the best orderjavascript:insertsmilie('')

meditation again in the afternoon
Go to Top of Page

Ahalia

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  04:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ahalia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by devrim

Ahalia, its great to hear that the guru in you is waking up. Yoga is just about that. Working on the self to discover what is inside. Take the first steps and develop your own practice, it can be easily done if you follow the lessons here. On your journey you will share much with others that will help spread knowledge of spiritual awareness.
If you have just began an AYP practice i would read or re-read the lessons on Bhakti,fill your daily routine with love and devotion and your can't far wrong.
I wish you a pleasent trip Ahalia and hope this post helps.
devrim.

Hi Devrim
As per your suggestion I got the Bhakti lessons and it was good I did, makes everything more valuable, I am improving with my practice
Go to Top of Page

Ahalia

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  04:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ahalia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

Hi Ahalia,

Welcome! The paintings on your link are beautiful!

The core practices in AYP twice daily sits are Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing Pranayama. In terms of time, my whole sit these days takes me about 35 minutes.

Between sits: day to day activities of life. Lighter foods. Caffeine and alcohol in moderation.

Fruits of practices: gradually, a lot less reactivity, and more calm awareness, less fear, more freedom to give attention to others.

Thank you bewell for the compliment on my paintings, I do enjoy painting very much and it has been a form of meditation for me, I am in bliss when I paint. Ananda Painting
I aam not sure what you mean by more freedom to pay attention to others, care to expand?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  08:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your paintings are beautiful indeed Ahalia.

I know what you mean by "it has been a form of meditation for me, I am in bliss when I paint."

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  09:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ahalia, welcome to the AYP forums

My usual practice routine is 7.5 minutes of Spinal Breathing Pranayama, 20 minutes of Deep Meditation and 6-10 minutes of Samyama followed by a 20 minute rest. Lately however I have had some pretty intense overload going on and have had to cut my practices down to 3 or 4 cycles of Spinal Breathing, 20 minutes of Deep Meditation and a 20 minute rest. Cutting back on my practices and increasing my grounding activities has really helped to balance things out and I'm slowly starting to add practices back in to my routine. I should also mention that I teach AYP classes 3 times a week as well so there are 3 days in which I am doing 3 practices a day (on these days though my second practice is usually just 10 minutes of Deep Meditation and a 20 minute rest). We do the AYP asana sequence in the classes also so I practice the asanas 3 times per week. In between practice times I engage in informal samyama, informal self-inquiry and karma yoga.

quote:
8am Asanas followed by
pranayama

Are you including Deep Meditation in your daily routine? It's quite important to include meditation in your daily routine, especially if you are doing pranayama, since pranayama opens the nervous system up and readies it for meditation. Doing pranayama without meditation can actually make us more uptight and irritable instead of going the opposite way and making us more calm and flexible. Perhaps I'm just misreading your post. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Best of luck to you!

Love!

Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  10:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ahalia
I am not sure what you mean by more freedom to pay attention to others, care to expand?

What i was thinking of when i wrote that is that sometimes, if I miss my sit, I find it difficult to pay attention to other people. It is as if I am tired and my eyes want to close. But if I removed myself from those situations for a Deep Meditation sit, then return, I feel refreshed and attentive to whatever is going on around me.

Go to Top of Page

Adriana

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  10:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Adriana's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Carson,

What do you mean by informal Samyama?

Love,

Adriana

[In between practice times I engage in informal samyama, informal self-inquiry and karma yoga.]

My usual practice routine is 7.5 minutes of Spinal Breathing Pranayama, 20 minutes of Deep Meditation and 6-10 minutes of Samyama followed by a 20 minute rest. Lately however I have had some pretty intense overload going on and have had to cut my practices down to 3 or 4 cycles of Spinal Breathing, 20 minutes of Deep Meditation and a 20 minute rest. Cutting back on my practices and increasing my grounding activities has really helped to balance things out and I'm slowly starting to add practices back in to my routine. I should also mention that I teach AYP classes 3 times a week as well so there are 3 days in which I am doing 3 practices a day (on these days though my second practice is usually just 10 minutes of Deep Meditation and a 20 minute rest). We do the AYP asana sequence in the classes also so I practice the asanas 3 times per week. In between practice times I engage in informal samyama, informal self-inquiry and karma yoga.

quote:
8am Asanas followed by
pranayama

Are you including Deep Meditation in your daily routine? It's quite important to include meditation in your daily routine, especially if you are doing pranayama, since pranayama opens the nervous system up and readies it for meditation. Doing pranayama without meditation can actually make us more uptight and irritable instead of going the opposite way and making us more calm and flexible. Perhaps I'm just misreading your post. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Best of luck to you!

Love!

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Adriana! Hope all is well with you these days.

quote:
Originally posted by Adriana

Dear Carson,

What do you mean by informal Samyama?

What I mean by "informal samyama" is just using the principles of samyama during daily activity. We use "formal samyama" after our meditation practice and before our rest period. I use "informal samyama" while out and about and engaged in daily activity.

What I mean by this is that when something is noticed (a thought, a feeling, a sensation or whatever... and it doesn't have to be an unpleasant thought/feeling/sensation) I just use the principles of samyama to let it go and to go back to resting in "the space" these thoughts/feelings/sensations are arising within. So in practice, this looks like a simple "touching" of awareness on the thought/feeling/sensation that is arising, and then a letting go of whatever is arising and going back to resting in the silence.

It should probably be mentioned that the "resting in the silence" is not something that I try to do and not something that always happens. The ability to allow the awareness to expand and rest in "the space" is a natural outcome of daily meditation and yoga practice, including formal samyama, but as far as I can tell it is not something that can be forced or tried for. So, essentially I just touch whatever is arising in the moment with the mind and then let it go just like we do in our formal samyama practice (minus the specific sutras).

Hope this answers your question and I hope to see you again someday soon too.

Love!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000