Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 the man who wanted to bury his shadow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  1:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"Bhagavan [Ramana Maharshi] once told a story about a man who wanted to bury his own shadow in a deep pit. He dug the pit and stood in such a position that his shadow was on the bottom of it. The man then tried to bury it by covering it with earth. Each time he threw some soil in the hole the shadow appeared on top of it. Of course, he never succeeded in burying the shadow. Many people behave like this when they meditate. They take the mind to be real, try to fight it and kill it, and always fail. These fights against the mind are all mental activities which strengthen the mind instead of weakening it. If you want to get rid of the mind, all you have to do is understand that it is 'not me'. Cultivate the awareness "I am the immanent consciousness". When that understanding becomes firm, the non-existent mind will not trouble you.|"/Annamalai Swami

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2011 :  1:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A good pointer to meditators
Go to Top of Page

11jono11

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  10:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2011 :  11:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the man must have given up before sundown.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  02:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I think the man must have given up before sundown.

lollz
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  4:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
haha, thats too halarious etherfish :). hehehe... i think im gonna go chuckle my way off to meditating now :) hehehe
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  4:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  8:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a type of experience that relates to that sense of the mind being "not me." I had a dream this morning and when I reflected on it after awakening, I had a sense that it was not my thoughts that I was dreaming. I had a feeling that I was telepathically picking up someone else's thoughts. I told my wife the dream, and it paralleled in remarkable detail a very odd, scary situation in a novel she is now reading, but had not told me about. She and I both agreed that the contents of my dream made most sense if we assume that I was absorbing her thoughts telepathically.

Seems to me, disidentification from mind is like that in a totalistic way. When "I" am absorbed in pure bliss consciousness, all thought comes to resemble that telepathic dream -- it is witnessed as "not me."

Edited by - bewell on Oct 31 2011 8:43:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000