Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Pressure in head and pain in spine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TwiceWise

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  11:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
With reference to: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=10441

Hello jasis

I'd like to make it clear from the outset that I don't practice AYP. I used to browse the forums, but I hadn't done so for several years, until this morning. I've been having a similar experience to you, in fact it seems to be exactly the same, but I'm not sure they have been caused by the same thing.

I don't want to go into too many details about myself so I'll just get straight to the point. The symptoms your describing are, in my experience, a sign of possession. I'm not talking about the kind of devil possession hear the Church talking about, I don't know enough to make that kind of comparison. For several years now I've been subject to the same experience of pressure in my head and lower spine. From what I've learned this is a sign that another spirit has taken up residence in my body, and most likely yours as well. It hasn't been overly detrimental in that my ability to meditate hasn't been impaired. However, it will disrupt your ability to think and feel. That's what it's done to me anyway.

I haven't been able to cleanse myself of this affliction yet. But, and I really really hate to sound like some kind of nut job, I've had a minor psychic experience that suggests doing puja would cleanse my chakras. For now I've just been maintaining myself with a basic mantra so I can't confirm for you whether or not this actually works, I think it will though. Once I learn how to do puja correctly I'll check back in here and let you know.

My suspicion is that any type of worshipful meditation will clear this up. Including, western style meditation. If your so inclined, I suggest you get a couple of books by Gabriel Bunge called Earthen Vessels and Dragon's Wine And Ange's Bread. These two books are basically descriptions on how to practice personal prayer in a Christian context. They're based on the ancient desert monks who practiced christian asceticism before the Church became a political body, which (to me at least) gives them some legitimacy (sorry if that's offensive to anyone). I've never implemented them myself but I would just like to let you know you have options if you want to use them.

Also, and I know I'm going to step on a lot of toes with this one, I think you should stop practicing AYP. Now, I'm not saying AYP has directly or indirectly caused this. But in my experience popular spiritual moments and methods like this aren't as beneficial as they claim to be. In my case it was a popular spiritual movement that caused my condition but that's really no grounds for accusing AYP of the same. IMO you should focus on cultivating an experience of and relationship with the divine, in whatever tradition you are moved to be in. This, I believe, will heal what your feeling and give you better direction in your spiritual seeking.

I've often heard Christians claim that practicing yoga leads to possession. I'm really sorry if this comes off as me being a Bible beater, but to me it seems there is some legitimacy to this claim. By this I mean that modern, watered down yoga derivatives, like AYP, probably do have the effect of disrupting your energy in some way and making you vulnerable. So, to repeat, focus on simple things like puja, Hindu or Buddhist is fine i think, since they both work the same way. Or, if your so incline, prayer.

Mantras, pranayama, Tantra, etc. should not be practiced without an authentic guru. More likely than not you'll end up harming yourself. I don't mean to be a doomsayer. On my own journey I've learned that there is a lot of light in this world, but that doesn't mean everything is light.

I understand that it's in incredibly bad taste to come on this forum and point you in a direction other than AYP. And, given that I've so far been unsuccessful in cleansing myself I probably have no authority to say things like that. But I felt like I might be able to help a little bit. Hopefully we will be able to help each other.

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  12:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: Post moved for better placement.
Go to Top of Page

jasis

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  3:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TwiceWise,

Thanks for your reply and you have an interesting point of view with which I respectfully disagree. The symptoms I reported did not begin when I started AYP practices but only recently.

Before I consider such ideas further I would also like to hear from regular AYP practitioners and also from the forum moderator as I posted this in the DM thread and these are symptoms I experienced while practicing AYP DM.

L&L Jasis

Edited by - jasis on Sep 27 2011 3:40:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jasis

Hi TwiceWise,

Thanks for your reply and you have an interesting point of view with which I respectfully disagree. The symptoms I reported did not begin when I started AYP practices but only recently.

I would also like to hear from regular AYP practitioners and also from the forum moderator as I posted this in the DM thread and these are symptoms I experienced while practicing AYP DM.

L&L Jasis

Hi Jasis:

Sorry for the confusion. I have removed the quote of your original inquiry above, leaving only the link to your post in the AYP Deep Meditation support forum.

The above reply was split and moved to here because it is not an AYP Deep Meditation support reply. Rather it advises against practicing AYP DM on the basis of experiences and conclusions that have little to do with what we are doing here, and recommends other measures that are not part of the AYP baseline system.

Sounds like TwiceWise's case involved one of the major practice systems going wrong. For sensitive meditators, things can get out of hand without adequate self-pacing and other remedial measures in place. And then the mind conjures up stories (like possession) to explain the unaided affliction.

I think it is important to allow such issues to be explored in a responsible way, but not within the AYP practice support topics. Obviously, TwiceWise's experience and conclusions have little to do with the overall AYP approach, which, as you know, has many safeguards built into it.

As long as the forum guidelines are observed, we can let a discussion on similar symptoms coming from another system of practice continue here in the appropriate forum category.

If AYP has shortcomings (all systems do), we'd like to address them. AYP has already gone much further than most systems in addressing sensitivity and overload issues. IMO, that is really what this is about -- not possession.

Which is not to say prayers and pujas are not in order. Whatever works!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

jasis

Germany
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Thanks a lot for the clarification which clears up my initial confusion

I also hope to receive some feedback in the original DM thread.

L&L Jasis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000