Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Awareness vs Concentration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  05:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've read few comments where AYP senior members mention not to mix up between awareness & concentration.For the later is a mind game.
Over here,I can't see the difference.Awareness that's present in me is the same awareness that looks through the eyes at a certain object & thus concentrating/giving attention to that object.
what am I missing ?
thank ya!

Edited by - Delara on Sep 24 2011 05:32:16 AM

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  06:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One way to differentiate them is to think of concentration as a narrow focus, and awareness as non-discriminating, effortless openness to everything (and nothing!)

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  08:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Concentration is looking at an object. It stills the mind temporarily as long as the mind focuses on the object.

Awareness is beyond mind. Becoming the empty space on which both the subject and object make their appearance and disappearance.

Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2011 :  4:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Experimentally they seem the same thing for me.As you are concentrating/reading my words it's through awareness.Now close your eyes & the same awareness is still there.Only the object of observation removed.Therefore,Concentration is awareness.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Delara
Therefore,Concentration is awareness.

Yes, you can say awareness when narrowed (as amoux said) becomes concentration.

Your mind has been taught to read words, you know its a language, as soon as you see a word your mind starts the process to decode the word and understand its meaning.

But if you 'concentrate' on a particular word or object without using your mind, in that stillness you will not be able to decode the meaning of the word or the object. Because all your knowledge and relationship with the world is of the mind.

Beyond mind is just emptiness.

Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  05:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesthey are different from linguistic point of view.. although I experienced them as the same.
I love your explanation manigma & I agree with you.I've noticed that my mathematical skill has dropped somehow since starting DM a year ago...But I don't care something happier has replaced it.
thank you both.
[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  09:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Delara

Yesthey are different from linguistic point of view.. although I experienced them as the same.
I love your explanation manigma & I agree with you.I've noticed that my mathematical skill has dropped somehow since starting DM a year ago...But I don't care something happier has replaced it.
thank you both.
[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]

That is interesting. I have found the opposite to be true. As random noise is quieted in the mind, it is easier to concentrate (or be aware ) and solve problems. Using the mind for it's intended purpose.

Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you!
Definitely it dropped over here.My GPA is a proof in itself.I had a GPA of 4 out of 4 for three continuous years at uni.Only on the fourth year-which was that year- it dropped to 3.9 .
my tutors & friends commented on that too!
maybe it's just a phase n my analytical & mathematical skills get back to normal oneday .However;I can't care less!
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yea one more thing,my grammar is making an emergency descend too!never had that much grammatical mistakes before.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  08:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Delara,

I have fought within over this recently.

I was trying to 'rest in the heart' while ended up 'concentrating on the heart' for a long while.

What I get from it is - consider you want to shift awarness from head to heart:
- concentrating will be you are still in head, and concentrating/looking down on the heart from 'up there'.
- moving awarness to heart would be you 'feel' yourself in the heart, your thoughts arising from heart, you are accepting worldly inputs like sights or sound through heart, head is slowly out of picture. You are not concentrating anywhere, and if you need to concentrate anywhere, it would be something outside (the screen you are watching now )

For me it took some practicing and some time to get it. Below is a link to a post where I got really good advice on that (in later part of the post)

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=10129

hope this helps...

lots of love
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  4:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanx DawnCalling!
Shanti recommended that technique when I had a terrible headache concentrated on the forehead area few weeks back..I did it few times & ended up with strong expanding vibration at the chest area(really good ) and later on throwing up(really bad)...the headache was gone only to be replaced with a loud tone like"tnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn".Next day i was fine.

I actually raised this question based on this technique and shanti's comment to differentiate between concentration and awareness.
lots of Love back to you
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  4:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Delara,
One way to look at it is...
Having a headache....
When you are just sitting and doing nothing and you have a headache you are focusing/ concentrating on the headache. You are aware consciously that you have a headache. However when you are busy doing something, talking to someone or engrossed in an activity, you are aware you have a headache, but it is not a focus... it is not a conscious awareness.

So knowing it exists (being aware of it) but not focusing on it (not concentrating on it).

Like that, if you are concentrating on something, you cannot let it dissolve, but being aware of it, helps you stay with it, but also give you the option of losing it and coming back to it like we do with the mantra. When this happens, an easy awareness of what is going on and yet not an over focus, not a concentration on what is going on, helps us learn to be easy with what is going on and allow room for the mind to loosen it's grip so stillness can sneak into our lives.

Does this help?
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  01:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes it does Shanti!Although it's so simple that a child may apply it easily,it needs practice for people like me who spent their lives learning to concentrate... now I'm unlearning concentration

Just for laugh...I see we women are naturally aware.I-as most women-can be sitting & chatting to someone,hearing what's going on in the nearby table and in the same time sensing what's going on behind my back without the need to look...[Natural Talent!
Thank you Shanti ...[img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  07:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's why they say mothers have eyes behind their head.... I guess they should say women have eyes behind their head.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
do women have eyes behind their head too? or just behind their head
Go to Top of Page

Delara

Lebanon
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HaHa!In all directions!we shift as needed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000