Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Do you break the body in order to break the ego?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

breakbodyego

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  12:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, i am a noob to yoga but have been researching spirituality and various traditions for many years now.

Lately, I have been coming to the realization that our bodies are in fact the main residences of our egos.

This is why the hindu ascetics have resorted to various painful yoga positions cos by inflicting pain on the body, it lessens the body's grip on your mind. It lessens the ego's grip on your mind.

Our bodies are cages which trapped our minds. In order to free our minds, we have to break our body cages.

Any opinions on this?

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  01:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey welcome to the forums, breakbodyego

quote:
Originally posted by breakbodyego

Our bodies are cages which trapped our minds. In order to free our minds, we have to break our body cages.

Any opinions on this?

The body is temporal and limited, so I don't see how it can contain something as unbounded as mind (or spirit for that matter). I see consciousness as the base, in which body, mind, life, the universe, and everything, all arise in.

If you wanna use the language of "cages", I'd say the mind (or ego) is the cage. But even that's an illusion. You are FREE as you are.

Great to have a fellow yoga noob here Enjoy your unfolding!

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  02:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Lately, I have been coming to the realization that our bodies are in fact the main residences of our egos.

so what do u suggest ...physcial torture?

the ego creates the body...
what creates the ego?
the mind creates the ego...the mind thinks one is a seperate entity...

it is far better the other way around....ie break the mind,break the ego then the body...meaning develop deep rooted knowledge that you are not the ego,nor the mind nor the body...yoga practices especially meditation will gradually take you to this realization

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 17 2011 04:47:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  06:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

have been researching spirituality and various traditions for many years now.

Please stop your research and your untruthful realization. Remove all sharp objects from your house. Don't stay alone in the house. Move to the ground floor if you are on upper levels. Throw away those horrorful cult and ritual videos and books. Talk to and be with human beings.

Edited by - Maximus on Sep 17 2011 08:33:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  07:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Buddha tried it, before he was the Buddha of course, but gave up. "Not too tight, but not too loose" The Middle Path!
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  09:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
This is why the hindu ascetics have resorted to various painful yoga positions cos by inflicting pain on the body, it lessens the body's grip on your mind. It lessens the ego's grip on your mind.

Inflicting pain is common among various religions and cultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortif...and_cultures

The body is like an empty bottle floating on the surface of the ocean. Waves clash and a few drops jump and fall inside the bottle. The drops are still in the ocean but because they are now inside the bottle, they feel they are separated.

Poor drops, what should they do?

Luckily, we did not fell inside an actual bottle. Our bodies can do some pretty decent asanas you know.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2011 :  10:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forums!
It's not really a matter of breaking the body to be free, although you are on to something. It is more complex than that, and not as easy as it sounds.
Enlightenment does include letting go of the ego, but unfortunately the ego is like a glue that holds your whole world together. So if you do radical things to loosen the ego you can destroy your world as you know it, and end up crazy, depressed, lying in the gutter unable to cope with the world.

That's why it's better to meditate as taught in the "main lessons" link above, and in the books. It's not necessary to learn complicated things, it IS easy, but takes a long term effort and consistency.

You are right about stuff being stored in the physical body though, your brain stores emotions it can't deal with by tightening a muscle so it will be reminded at a later time. Then later if you work with that muscle by asanas, stretching, or deep massage, they will be released. It will happen slowly over time to protect your sanity. I like extreme stretching, but others like asanas, different body alignment systems, massage etc. some people say physical release is not necessary, only meditation.
Whatever method you use, meditation is also necessary. Yogani explains it well in the lessons and books.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2011 :  10:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

the hindu ascetics have resorted to various painful yoga positions cos by inflicting pain on the body

Yoga is not painful, it's delightful (saving for the tough time when you try it for the first time)

Hindu scripts say 'Sthir-sukham-asanam". Asanas are those you do in a stable and graceful manner. You will find that yoga teachers say not to stress but move gradually while taking up tougher poses. Because pain is not the objective, stability and grace are.

Another qoute would be. 'shariram khalu mandiram' - body is a temple - speaks for itself. So rather than breaking it, cleaning it up by getting rid of the bad stuffs is the best approach it seems. I think that is what people are trying to do with AYP.

Love
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  02:49:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well said DawnCalling
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  7:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Any opinions on this?

This business of crushing the ego is not a method of loving yourself nor others. The idea of "ego" is an intellectual thoughtform put in your body's brain/computer by someone else.

Do we have an animal/android personality as part of the human machinery?
Yes!

Do we in fact need this "ego" construct to interact in the world of forms?
Also yes!

So let go of all that rubbish about self abuse and practice loving yourself and others. AYP Meditation is great to help keep your divine aspects in conscious perspective.

Edited by - delta33 on Sep 20 2011 11:06:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

psychicexplorer

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  8:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit psychicexplorer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Any opinions on this?

You sound like an early gnostic christian. They are always talking about leaving the corruption of the flesh. Those views are of course considered radical.
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2011 :  9:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DawnCalling

quote:

the hindu ascetics have resorted to various painful yoga positions cos by inflicting pain on the body

Yoga is not painful, it's delightful (saving for the tough time when you try it for the first time) -- Love

i used to call my first serious yoga teacher "our mistress of torment" behind her back

but you know

there is a river of bliss running deep in the spine
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  02:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What DawnCalling said! The ascetic gnostic dualism that spirit is good, body is evil, a cage, etc. is a limiting delusion which will not lead anywhere good. Trust me. If anything the mind is more of a trap than the body. Let it all go. You, as an embodied spirit, are a perfect manifestation of Life, Love, Consciousness. There is no need to escape from anything. By consistent practice of asana and pranayama (and later, perhaps tantra) we can experience Bliss in and through our body, and in deep meditation we realize our true Self which has no limitations. Much Love to you.
Go to Top of Page

breakbodyego

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  07:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i am not advocating self-abuse

but if anything, the ego seems to avoid pain in the pursuit of pleasure

this is why i say the ego/lower mind resides in the body but the higher mind belongs to the spirit

the body/ego seems to want to avoid spiritual practices which bring hardships to the body.. eg vegetarianism, fasting, meditation, yoga

this is why i say the ego resides in the body so we have to break the hold of the body-ego over our higher mind in order to free it
Go to Top of Page

naplesward

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  12:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are thing in life that are good for us but we don't like doing. Part of liberating ourselves from egos hold is learning to do those things will loosening are negative attitude. According to Yoga philosophy the ego arises out of ignorance and from ego comes attachment to pleasure and avoidance of pain, next comes cling to life as-it- is. These are the five afflictions that cause us true suffering. The practice of yoga is to thin out these affliction and realize our true nature beyond them.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  2:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
These are the five afflictions that cause us true suffering. The practice of yoga is to thin out these affliction and realize our true nature beyond them.

yes exactly,thinning out ie gradually by using suitable yoga practices....so in due time the fruit will be ripe enough then it will spontneously and smoothly break off from the tree....intead of snatching /plucking the fruit before it is ready.....before one is ready...

Edited by - maheswari on Sep 25 2011 3:25:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  7:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoga done properly does NOT "bring hardships to the body." Asana and pranayama done correctly is a PLEASURE. And the mind ("higher" or "lower") can be more clever in its attachments than the body. The body is pretty honest and straightforward with its desires, whereas the mind is quite tricky clinging to all kinds of intellectual attachments, false ideals, pride and so forth, while trying to convince us that it's being "spiritual." This is why we need a yoga practice that is a complete system which works for the whole person, body, mind and soul. As we continue in our daily practice all kinds of afflictions/attachments are released and we are nurtured by our deepening connection with the Bliss at the center of our own being. This yoga is way more enjoyable than all the external things we think we are attached to and which will naturally begin to fall away.
Go to Top of Page

Swan

India
256 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  12:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

which bring hardships to the body.. eg vegetarianism, fasting, meditation, yoga

All else is fine, just the HARDSHIP is the thing here which is shouting. I believe that god loves us and good practices are meant to be enjoyed, and my tiny sack of experiences confirms it.

I would suggest no to look at the hardship part or make it a objective. If you are planning to take up some practice, go start it like someone would take up some sporting activity, or add something small to their existing lifestyle. And be sure to ENJOY whatever you take up, and start with whatever you enjoy. For me, I have taken up asanas and some other AYP initial stuffs, enjoying it and progressing, but I dont think I will go vegetarian any time soon.

I believe that's how you will find most of your answers. Or else discussing about swimming wont reaveal much about swimming untill you are at least in chest deep water.

and if you find it hard even after giving sometime, may be just that you need to take smaller step (I had to cut down some), or you need to find the most suitable starter for you.

quote:

the ego seems to avoid pain in the pursuit of pleasure

I agree with you on that, more so when it's about painful emotions.

From what I read, or hear from others - I am hopeful that yoga will straighten it out for me. And I feel that it has started already.

Lots of Love

Edited by - Swan on Sep 26 2011 05:31:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000