Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 trix of the eyes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  7:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many times when I stare at an object long enough I begin to see a white light enveloping most of it. I know it's my eyes playing tricks but I was wondering why it happens? Anyone have the same thing happen?

Edited by - AYPforum on Sep 06 2011 10:08:09 AM

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  11:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It usually results in a punch in the ribs for me

Can't tell you why you see a White light, but I can ask you why you stare so much ?
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  12:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you focus your energy on anything worthwhile...good things happen.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lmaher22

Many times when I stare at an object long enough I begin to see a white light enveloping most of it. I know it's my eyes playing tricks but I was wondering why it happens? Anyone have the same thing happen?

Maybe its not a tick.

Lao Tsu is reported to have said to Chuang Tzu, "Remain here. Go on looking down from this bridge to the river until the river stops and the bridge starts flowing. Then come to me."

The river is flowing; the bridge never flows. But Chuang Tzu was given this meditation - to wait on this bridge. It is said he made a hut on the bridge and remained there. Months passed... he would just sit on the bridge, looking down for the moment when the river would stop and the bridge would flow so he could go to the master.

One day it happened: the river stopped and the bridge started flowing.

How can it happen? If thought stops completely, then anything is possible, because really, it is fixedness of thought which says that the river is flowing and the bridge is static. This is just relative - just relative! Einstein says, and physics says, that everything is relative. If two trains are running side by side with the same speed, you will not be able to feel that they are moving. You can feel a moving train because you see the static things by the side. If there is nothing - for example, if the trees are also moving in the same direction with the same speed - you will feel static. Or when a train passes in the opposite direction, your speed is doubled. You feel your train has become faster. It has not become faster. It is the same train with the same speed, but a train going in the opposite direction gives you the feeling of double speed.

If speed is relative, then it is just a fixedness of the mind to think that the river is flowing and the bridge is static. Continuously meditating, meditating, meditating, Chuang Tzu came to realize that everything is relative.

The river is flowing because you take the bridge as static. The bridge is also flowing deep down. Nothing is static in this world. Atoms are moving, electrons are moving; the bridge is a constant movement within. Everything is flowing; the bridge is also flowing.

Chuang Tzu must have had a glimpse of the atomic structure of the bridge. Now they say this wall which looks static is not static. Movement is there, every electron is running, but the movement is so fast you cannot see it. That is why you feel it as static. If a fan goes on with a faster movement, faster and faster, you will not be able to see its wings, the spaces between them. You will not be able to see this. And if it moves with the speed of light, you will see simply one circular disc that is static. Nothing will be moving in it because eyes cannot catch that fast movement.

~ Osho [The Book of Secrets]

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  07:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to do that quite a bit (when boring people would talk to me). Coloured objects have a different colour appearing around them.

Think it is just an after image created by your brain.

Remember watching this rather boring documentary on colours and there is a picture of a desert further down the page, which might explain it . Or maybe not .

Bit ironic really because I sound like a boring person by being skeptical.

So I will say: It can be anything you want it to be!

Edited by - woosa on Sep 06 2011 08:04:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  09:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do know what you mean. If you stare long enough, it's as if you get a type of tunnel-vision which fills in from the outsides in until your vision is filled with white. There are also halos of white that form around the edges of objects and people. I used to close my eyes and cover them with my hand to see a play of purple streaming around in a way that I could almost control, and this too would happen in white with eyes open in certain lighting. The way any of these happen is by fixing attention on vision while trying to keep the eyes still.

Why does it happen? For one thing, perception is a great achievement of the senses, brain, and consciousness no doubt, and when we artificially play with the eyes and attention, it creates all sorts of 'artifacts' coming from anywhere along the processing path, whether at the retina (negative color after-images for ex.) or higher up in the brain (edge-enhancement for ex.).

Some people claim that by doing this repeatedly, one can develop their 'aura' seeing ability, such as Robert Bruce. Even Rudolf Steiner recommends a practical exercise in his book Knowledge of the Higher Worlds and its Attainment by starring at a seed while invoking some elaborate thoughts: "Grain will appear enveloped in luminous cloud, felt as kind of flame...A larger flame can be felt of certain ‘colors’, as colors give certain feelings when looked at."

Is this true? Or is it a deliberate mis-wiring of our otherwise excellent perceptual neurology? Surely without a holistic practice to support such abilities, it is nothing more than a so-called magic bullet syndrome, going off on a tangent towards a certain dead-end.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  10:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000