Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation beginner questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vantagepoint

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  06:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste to All from London UK,

This is my first post here. I have read and really enjoyed the deep meditation book by Yogani. I am happy to have found these forums and have just joined today. I had the following three questions:

1) The book mentions the mantra becoming refined and fuzzy at some stage during deep meditation. Can someone please elaborate. What does refine and fuzzy mean here.

2) Does one need to focus on mantra as a thought and keep it there gently or repeat the mantra thought again and again? In other words is it that attention should remain on the mantra thought (focus) OR touch, leave and get back to it again and again (repetition).

3) I understand mantra (IAM) is never actually said or spoken its just taken as a thought to be repeated or focused on (depending on the answer to question 2). Can someone please confirm that?

Many thanks to your help. I look forward to getting to know you all more.

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  07:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi vantage

You want to be easily favouring the mantra, so you are not forcing it. Over time - minutes, days, months of practice you will notice that the pronunciation of the mantra might not be as clear. It could be like a mumble in your mind or just a feeling. All of this comes naturally with practice and so it can not be forced.

Just keep practicing in a relaxed way and it will all fall into place.

As each session comes and goes you will notice that some days the mantra can be fast and clear, or slow and fuzzy etc. It doesn't matter, as long as you easily come back to the mantra when you realize you are not saying it anymore.

You want to repeat the mantra 'back to back', but still in a relaxed and easy way. No foucusing on it is required. You will find, even though you are repeating it, you will stop and go into thoughts. When that happens just easily pick it back up.

The I AM has no meaning it is the effect the vibration has on the nervous system.

This topic has a lot of info.

And finally, welcome to the forum!

Go to Top of Page

vantagepoint

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  08:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your response and for the helpful link, you use the term "pronounce". Do the lips typically move when you "silently" repeat the mantra or is it just the thought in the mind to which we come back again and again.

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  11:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by vantagepoint

Thanks for your response and for the helpful link, you use the term "pronounce". Do the lips typically move when you "silently" repeat the mantra or is it just the thought in the mind to which we come back again and again.

Just in the mind so that your mind turns inwards.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  3:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Micromovements of tounge and lips can happen along with the mental repetition of the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2011 :  6:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In all traditions of Vedic-style meditation (which this is), the mantra is repeated silently, without moving tongue or lips. The "mantra becoming refined"can be experienced in many different ways, sometimes changing in more than one different way over the course of a single meditation session. For example--it might become slower or faster, louder or softer, or it may change in actual pronunciation, one common change being that the syllables turn themselves inside out, and become "am I" instead of "I am". That may seem like a small change, but ALL of these various sorts of changes are signs of correctly-done meditation technique. Echoing, reverberating, morphing, stretching and twisting are all different changes in the mantra reported by people. We NEVER FOCUS on ANYTHING during meditation--this meditation is NOT concentration, and any bit of effort will always prove counterproductive. But, yes, we favor our attention on the mantra, and repeating the mantra, and that is our intention, if not always the outcome! Okay?
Michael

Edited by - mikkiji on Sep 10 2011 7:06:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2011 :  11:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Michael, again very clear, very helpful! Thank you for the beautiful answer!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000