Judas collaborating with Jesus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  10:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Lamsa's bible has corrected quite a few mistranslations in the King James.
No profound differences in meaning, ....So having lived a life of being immersed in God, to break at that point would seem to negate his entire purpose. Instead what he was doing was rejoicing in the fulfillment of his purpose. And that is exactly what those words mean if they are translated correctly.

Etherfish,

Thanks, I'll reflect on that angle.

Bewell
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David wrote:

"The Council of Nicea rejected any books that implied that any person could find the light of God within themselves (and there were a number). Finding the light was the job of The Church. It was a highly political council, with highly political purposes and results.
The Council of Nicea was the end of 'Open Source' in Christianity, and the rise of an all-powerful priest-group, whose job was to find the light for everyone."

While this is true, there is good and bad in everything.
The purpose of the council of Nicea was that Constantine wished to stop all the fighting and
disagreement among all the small sects. So he gathered together spokesmen and leaders from the small sects and motivated them to discuss their differences and build a platform of all the things they could agree about within christianity.
The council achieved just what Constantine wanted. The many different sects were united, and could communicate peacefully with each other. But as what seemed to be a great peaceful time for the Christians was forming, Constantine as the hero, there also formed the underground movement of those who believed God could be found within and the church was not necessary. So the very foundation of the peace created was based upon everyone sticking to the agreements made at the council, which agreements were directly opposed to the underground beliefs (the truth) and
which created the groundwork for all the persecution and inquisition in the future. It also made necessary the hiding of gospels and encryption of the true meaning of Jesus' teachings.
When persecuting those people, they were accused of cannibalism, sodomy, and incest, none of which were true, but were all twisted interpretations of the wording of the forbidden gospels.

So instead of basing their peace upon just a desire to get along, they based it on "The Word of God" and their big egos claimed "right and wrong" was involved, and so the illusion of a great good was accompanied by the reality of a great evil.
Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  11:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit ranger's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend anyone interested in the Council of Nicea and the formation of the bible to look at Elaine Pagels' most recent book, Beyond Belief (2005). While primarily a study of the Gospel of Thomas, in contrast to the canonical Gospel of John (which Pagels believes was written as a refutation of Thomas), she also outlines her beliefs on the criteria used to select the canonical texts.

Much of that focus is on Irenaeus, the 24 year old bishop of Lyons during a series of persecutions that decimated the Christian community there, claiming up to a third of the several hundred in that region. His entire goal became to unify the survivors. Ultimately he wrote and made strong assertions as to which letters and Gospels were true, and Pagels claims that the goal of unification was his main criterion.

Most of the texts and ideas he rejected claimed "secret teachings" or "higher initiations," so in a sense, he was rejecting all claims of "special knowledge" that some individuals and groups used to claim a higher status than the run-of-the mill Christains who had "merely" been baptized. If his community was going to survive they had to hang together, so he rejected anything that hinted of division, "I'm a third degree Christian and you're a beginner."

Eventually, Pagels claims, Irenaeus's list of "correct" vs. "incorrect" books was a key source of the Nicean council's decisions. Some of the really fascinating Gospels that were rejected, Thomas, Phillip, Mary, and now Judas, all make this claim of revealing "hidden teachings."
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  3:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding this subject, has anyone listened to Father Charlie Moore lecture? http://www.beyondtheordinary.net/fa...harlie.shtml Tell me what you think. -Hunter
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  8:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish said:
While this is true, there is good and bad in everything.
The purpose of the council of Nicea was that Constantine wished to stop all the fighting and
disagreement among all the small sects.

It is true that there is good and bad in everything. It's also true of intentions, particularly political or imperial ones, which are almost never simple or even close to entirely pure. In other words, we can say that Constantines's purpose was to stop the disputes in Christianity. We can also simply say that Ivan the Terrible's purpose was to maintain a strong united Russia, or that Bill Gates's purpose was for us all to have a strong united operating system, or that Adolf Hitler's purpose was to bring peace on earth.

I'm no scholar on the council of Nicea. But my understanding is that Constantine himself exerted a lot of control over it and deliberately excluded many people whom he felt would not be in agreement with his vision of what christianity should be.

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 06 2006 9:01:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  7:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ranger said:
Eventually, Pagels claims, Irenaeus's list of "correct" vs. "incorrect" books was a key source of the Nicean council's decisions. Some of the really fascinating Gospels that were rejected, Thomas, Phillip, Mary, and now Judas, all make this claim of revealing "hidden teachings."

The ones that were rejected also allow for a direct connection from God to Man, without the intermediation of the Church.

I don't know to what extent what you said is representative of Pagels, but when I see what you have written, I wonder if she is some sort of Christian apologist, making a revisionist attempt to whitewash the work of the council. It reads as if an egalitarian motive was a main driving force behind the works of the Council. I have enormous doubts about that.

I believe the Council was quite the opposite to Egalitarian -- Imperial. I'm not sure that egalitarian sentiment even existed at the time to any significant extent.....

The facts are visible for all to see: the Council sealed a dogma where they (the now 'official' and 'united' Church) were the high-class christians who made all the religious interpretations and did all the thinking for everyone else.

All right, I'm ranting a bit...

By the way Mark 4:10-12 seems to indicate that Jesus himself gave hidden teachings to his disciples which he did not give to the population at large.....

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 07 2006 7:36:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  7:04:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ranger's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

I don't know to what extent what you said is representative of Pagels, but when I see what you have written, I wonder if she is some sort of Christian apologist, making a revisionist attempt to whitewash the work of the council. It reads as if an egalitarian motive was a main driving force behind the works of the Council. I have enormous doubts about that.

I don't see where in my synopsis you get "egalitarian apologist." I see the basic thrust as: one is a Christian by virtue of specific sacraments administerd by the church (baptism, eucharist, etc), and we do not hold as valid any direct personal experience that certain individuals or sects may claim.

There were certainly a host of reasons for Nicea to exclude certain books, for instance the early heresy that Jesus was never really a man, but really pure spirit.

Elaine Pagels first book was The Gnostic Gospels (1979), which was the first intro a lot of people got to the Nag Hammadi texts. Later books (which I haven't read) include Adam, Eve and the Serpent, and The Origin of Satan .

The entire thrust of her academic career has been looking at the multiplicity of Christianities that existed prior to dogmatization.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  11:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ranger said:
I don't see where in my synopsis you get "egalitarian apologist."

It extracted it partly from here:

so he rejected anything that hinted of division, "I'm a third degree Christian and you're a beginner."

But as I admitted, I was ranting to an extent. Ranting = not necessarily making very good sense.... Just roll your eyeballs.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  8:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is one bit of evidence that Constantine may have been more interested in unification of people than the actual form the new christianity would take after the council of Nicea.
That is that Constantine was a pagan, and never converted to christianity, until on his deathbed, the christian leaders anointed him and declared him a christian!
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  8:48:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cynical me would just say he was hedging his bets. He didn't want to get on the wrong side of Apollo while he still needed earthly power.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000