AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Washing Dishes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  06:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This is the explanation the Master gave his disciples: “There are two ways to wash dishes: One is to wash them in order to make them clean; the other is to wash them in order to wash them.”

That was still far from clear, so he added, “The first action is dead, because while your body does the dishes, your mind is fixed on the goal of cleaning them; the second is alive, because you mind is where your body is.”

Anthony De Mello, SJ

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  06:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nice ...thx
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  11:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2011 :  7:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it is impossible for anyone to have a goal and still be in the moment. That's why enlightened people are always homeless.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  01:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry dear Ether... But can you elaborate more, I think I sort of misunderstood you. I am no enlightened being but concerning my personal experience with being aware in the here now is that a lot of things are done in a great way and life is much better and at ease. I might end up homeless who knows yes Just quit my job a week back because the job conditions where unfair plus I needed change big time and I am back on the market looking now...

Peace [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  08:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was being sarcastic; I believe the quote is relating two extremes. While it carries a point, there is a middle ground where you are able to make goals and follow them, and also have your mind and body at one.

It's what we are all trying to do if we want to live in this world and be enlightened too. It's not easy, and requires a delicate balance. It is using the mind as a tool to live in this world, and know what jobs it is good for, and how to put it to rest in between, rather than obliterating it altogether.

PS Good luck in your job search- I was totally kidding about enlightenment and homelessness.
My boss treats me like crap too; but I love the work they give me, hours are normal and the paychecks are good so I put up with it. So don't expect everything to be good with your new job, just important things.

Edited by - Etherfish on Aug 18 2011 08:51:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  09:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't worry I have no expectations... Just want change... If it's another sh*tty job as the old one... I'll quit again and end up homeless I guess but hopefully enlightened
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  7:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find a good job! They are out there.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  03:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't mind... Thx for the encouragement
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  10:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes.
--Robert Frost

It seems you can do the dishes because you really enjoy cooking, and cleaning the dishes is just part of it.

Very best of luck with your job search!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2011 :  10:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  03:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2011 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
clean the floor
You can clean the floor like a robot, a mechanical thing; you have to clean it, so you clean it. Then you miss something beautiful. Then you waste those moments in only cleaning the floor. Cleaning the floor could have been a great experience; you missed it. The floor is cleaned but something that could have happened within you has not happened. If you were aware, not only the floor but YOU would have felt a deep cleansing. Clean the floor full of awareness, luminous with awareness(Osho)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  04:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awareness is a funny word. It can have very different meanings depending on what stage you are at. When identified with the body and external objects it is of certain nature. When merged with the self it 'is' and has no expression or meaning.

Same with bliss, a difference in experiencing a feeling of bliss, to being bliss. Realising that you are bliss makes the word redundant. It belongs to the world of illusion where it stands for an idea and concept, another fleeting thought, a ghost.

So there is a third way to wash the dishes which involves no dishes and no one to wash them
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  04:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

So there is a third way to wash the dishes which involves no dishes and no one to wash them

I am open to that, when it happens it happens...

Right now I am enjoying the first as best as I can, just being with whatever is. Living it to the fullest

namaste
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  04:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

cool
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  05:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda
I am open to that, when it happens it happens...

Right now I am enjoying the first as best as I can, just being with whatever is. Living it to the fullest

namaste

Just as the heart requires no attention to keep beating, it is the same with the dishes.

Sometimes the idea of living each moment in awareness is taken to mean awareness of the task, this does begin inward introversion. Easier to be centred in the self, aware of the self only. Stay at the point before you wake from deep sleep, just before awareness begins. It's hard at first but gets easier with repetition.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  09:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just being Aware leads to that dear, it's full awareness of the self and everything around it... Or at least so does the Buddha along with many others say. In my personal case, it has lead to a lot of clarity and inner silence in my personal life.

I have nothing against advaitic talk, which you seem to be sharing here. But from personal experience with it myself and a lot of the people whom I see talking advaita in these forums and outside. I've found a lot of it non relational.

If in your case it is relational, good for you.

Salam
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One minute wisdom - Presence

“Where shall I look for Enlightenment?”

“Here.”

“When will it happen?”

“It is happening right now.”

“Then why don’t I experience it?”

“Because you do not look.”

“What should I look for?”

“Nothing. Just look.”

“At what?”

“Anything your eyes alight upon.”

“Must I look in a special kind of way?”

“No. The ordinary way will do.”

“But don’t I always look the ordinary way?”

“No.”

“Whyever not?”

“Because to look you must be here. You’re mostly somewhere else.”
Anthony De Mello, SJ
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  11:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,
I think my Inner Guru found it necessary for you to pose the question of relational vs none relational inquiry so thank you for that.

I re-read Yoganis lesson on this and found the missing piece of the puzzle. It is not only related to inquiry but also to every form of spiritual practice.

Jesus wove tha key into the phrase "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God"

The 'witness' can also be relational and none relational, so even gaining a measure of stillness does not guarantee that self inquiry will be anything more than an intellectual exercise. Like any dry run, it is none the less a move in the right direction.

Maharishi calls it devotion. However I see It is a purity of heart, selfless love, desire less desire.

Without that humble desire born of selfless love, there is always the need to live a richer life. It is that desire for gain which has to be let go. That, I think, is what is meant by being ripe.

The tiniest drop of that pure devotion is the match which lignites the infinite love of pure self. Without it, it is like pebbles thrown against a dam to release the water.

That's the best I can do. De Mello calls it ordinary. To look in an ordinary way is far more difficult than it seems. I remember a quote in some book or other that has stayed with me. You love the beauty of the birds song, but you do not see the bird.

Edited by - karl on Sep 05 2011 11:37:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  01:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
You love the beauty of the birds song, but you do not see the bird.

it is J.Krishnamurti
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  01:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

quote:
You love the beauty of the birds song, but you do not see the bird.

it is J.Krishnamurti

Might well have been. I remembered it being a very confusing statement at the time.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  03:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Hi Ananda,
I think my Inner Guru found it necessary for you to pose the question of relational vs none relational inquiry so thank you for that.

I re-read Yoganis lesson on this and found the missing piece of the puzzle. It is not only related to inquiry but also to every form of spiritual practice.

Jesus wove tha key into the phrase "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God"

The 'witness' can also be relational and none relational, so even gaining a measure of stillness does not guarantee that self inquiry will be anything more than an intellectual exercise. Like any dry run, it is none the less a move in the right direction.

Maharishi calls it devotion. However I see It is a purity of heart, selfless love, desire less desire.

Without that humble desire born of selfless love, there is always the need to live a richer life. It is that desire for gain which has to be let go. That, I think, is what is meant by being ripe.

The tiniest drop of that pure devotion is the match which lignites the infinite love of pure self. Without it, it is like pebbles thrown against a dam to release the water.

That's the best I can do. De Mello calls it ordinary. To look in an ordinary way is far more difficult than it seems. I remember a quote in some book or other that has stayed with me. You love the beauty of the birds song, but you do not see the bird.

namaste

P.s: Anthony attended a few of J. Krishnamurti gatherings.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  05:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

[quote]

namaste

P.s: Anthony attended a few of J. Krishnamurti gatherings.

In answer to your original question, for me it is, or was relational. However it is beyond that now. Far beyond, off the map completely. There are no more instructions, nothing in any books to indicate how to navigate, it's like learning to walk all over again

I'm puzzled by a tremendous urge, an instinct to serve in some way but cannot see that there is anything that needs my service. Everything is going along perfectly without intervention, just watch the everyday things being done around me.

The dust has not settled as yet and I expect lots of after shocks.

My apologies if my original posting came across Too strongly. I'm drawing from another place and it is crystal clear and simple and quite raw and new at the same time.

Your question was the final realisation that I was on my own, it took some inertia out of it like making a newborn baby make it's first cry of life.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2011 :  05:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's all good
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000