Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Problem tracing nerve during SBP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thouqht

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2011 :  4:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone!

So I've been practicing spinal breathing for about a week now and I notice that I'm having trouble following the spinal nerve on the low part of its path.

The problem for me is that the lower part of the spine actually curves away from the perineum. We are supposed to trace the nerve from the perineum, up the spine, into the head, and forward to the third eye.

So at what point does the spinal nerve actually deviate from the spine and start heading towards the perineum?

Thanks for any help!!

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  11:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again Thought!

Just keep going the unresponsive patches will wake up in time. Sometimes my spinal nerve is not even in line with the top and bottom. Its all over the shop!

The less you think about it the easier it gets. As long as your attention is at the root when inhaling and at the third eye on the exhale you'll be all right.

http://www.aypsite.org/44.html

Go to Top of Page

Thouqht

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  3:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again woosa! As my control with Mulabandha has improved I've noticed that my awareness in my lower regions has increased greatly. This in turn has helped me notice the flow of energy during spinal breathing in my pelvic region.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2011 :  10:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thought

I've been reflecting on you question. Part of the problem is imagining the anatomy. I have found that some pictures helped.

This is the spine in relation to the perineum. I was surprised to actually see where the spinal tip points (in this image, the spinal tip is color-coded orange, and is visible right of the rectum):
http://www.aspiruslibrary.org/pictu...prostate.gif

Here is another look at the spine which displays more dramatically the curve at the bottom tip in a forward direction.

http://www.backpainoconnor.com/images/spine.gif

See how the tail bone curls directly toward the perineum?

In SBP

"...visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine, and up through the stem of your brain to the center of your head. At the center of your head the tiny nerve makes a turn forward to the point between your eyebrows."

Edited by - bewell on Aug 14 2011 11:10:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  04:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thx Be....it is helpful...personally my visualization of the spine is vague....but since the DM that follows is usually deep i dont worry much about the quality of spine visualization....what do u think?
Love
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  06:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't need to visualise just do it whichever way makes sense. I only feel the outward and inward flows as cold and hot currents running up and down my spine. Some do better with visuals but it's not necessry, just follow the lessons. Skip over those parts that don't appear to respond and finish at brow and root on inhale and exhale cycles.

Over analysing is optional.
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I learnt to spinal breathe naturally about 15 years ago when I started yoga, it was something that happened spontaneously. I became natural for me to start visualizing energy gathering into the top of the head, deep into the brain and and bring it slow down into the neck and down into the spine, vertebra by vertebra. This takes some time especially if I spend time imagining the energy flowing around the vertebra and in the spaces in between. I also visualise energy going down the spinal cord and then into the channel inside the spinal cord. Some knowledge of anatomy can help, it helped me.I found after doing this for sometime I can now feeling energy flowing up and down easily. I take it to my third eye or in and out of the top of the head depending on how I am feeling.

This is what works for me, I know it is not the AYP recommend practice. This is my intense spinal breathing practice which takes me about 30- 45mins. I find it is very, very relaxing and my breathing slows down while I do it quite considerably. I thought it would share and that it might be helpful.

I do this especially when I am in pain of some kind. I go to the area in the spine that is closest to where the pain is coming from and circulate energy around the corresponding vertebra....but I digress. I like to think of these as little energy wraps or blankets wrapping around the area.

Edited by - Kahlia on Aug 15 2011 08:00:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kahlia

161 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  07:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It takes time... I have found the channel gets wider and very expansive with practice. At times I feel the channel is so compacted and I see it as the width of a piece of string and at other times when I practice it becomes what feels like the width of a fist. The wider it gets the better it feels. Sadly most of us are so constricted and tight and our channels reflect this.... I work on widening and I see it as a blue channel of light. When I do this I feel blood and prana flow increase to all my organs
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  09:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Thouqht

The problem for me is that the lower part of the spine actually curves away from the perineum.

Touch can help clarify the anatomy of the lower spine. Follow the spine with your fingers all the way to the tip at the base.

Edited by - bewell on Aug 15 2011 09:44:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  09:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari
...but since the DM that follows is usually deep i dont worry much about the quality of spine visualization....what do u think?

Hi Maheswari!

Seems to me that the SBP instructions make sense best if one knows that the bottom tip of the spine curves toward the perineum in a smooth, continuous path:

"...visualize beginning at your perineum, continuing up through the center of your spine..."

As to your question, I will reflect on it. Time for a sit.

Edited by - bewell on Aug 15 2011 10:42:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Be
hope u get inspired
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2011 :  10:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari,

I have some thoughts on quality of SBP visualization. I just read through some of Yogani's SBP book, and noticed that he said that in SBP the visualization can change to direct perception of the spinal nerve, it can also go from a general path from root to brow to a more specific path through the center of the spine. That seemed to me to express the transition I am on in this practice: moving from general energy awareness to more specific awareness of the thread in the spine. The questions that come up on the forum often nudge me. This one has nudged me toward a more direct experience of the spinal nerve.

SBP leads into DM. I'm not sure whether to say "I go deep." It is relative, and it changes. What I do is take responsibility for favoring the procedure. The rest is scenery. Keeping in mind that we are on a thread that is meant to support beginners in the practices, I try to keep my comments as close to the Main Lessons as I am able. So this is not so much about my particular journey, as it is about the practices.

Thanks for interacting with me here.

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2011 :  01:35:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank u for your reply Be
quote:
it can also go from a general path from root to brow

this is my practice right now.....currently i am reading SB book and will see
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  09:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm about a week in with SBP and I too have visualization issues. I get the gaps that Karl mentioned, and also feel as if I am slightly off-center (to the left) with the sensation. It's definitely easier to visualize it for certain areas and not others. Interestingly I find the lower areas much easier that the middle. Neck is easier than head/ajna area. My "thread" is also much fatter. I try to thin it down but it wants to be garden hose sized :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000