AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama details
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I introduced AYP to a friend of mine, and she is looking for details on pranayama practice. I don't know the answers to her questions so I thought someone here might be able to help.

She has read the basic lesson on pranayama because I copied it all and sent it to her.

Here is what she is asking:

"so, just to be clear, i sit in a chair with a straight spine. hands on lap? palms up?

when i breathe in, i pull in my keegals and start the energy ball at the perinium, then run it slowly up my entire spine to head and third eye. on exhale i go the way i went in.

i find that i want to pull IN my tummy when i inhale with sphincter pulled up. do you find that? but i thought the directions said to inhale letting belly out. i can do it that way, but then i don't pull up my keegels, so it feels like i'm starting more at the base of my spine rather than lower and deeper in my perinium area.

in qi gong you pull in on the inhale. this might be just splitting hairs. i'm just finding i can't totally relax while doing it cuz i keep wondering which is more correct. (in qi gong master lin says there is no right or wrong, only good/better/best. maybe it's the same here...but i'd still like your advice!!)

thanks so much for your patience on this!!"

Thank you all and have a nice day.

Jennifer

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  09:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing AYP with your friends.

quote:
"hands on lap? palms up?"
What ever feels natural. We do not focus on the hand, it will come to rest in whatever position feels comfortable and may change over time.

The rest of what she is talking about sounds like mulabandha/ashwini mudra.
Maybe ask her to check out the other spinal breathing lessons, or send her a copy/paste of the Mulabandha lesson http://www.aypsite.org/55.html

quote:
when i breathe in, i pull in my keegals and start the energy ball at the perinium, then run it slowly up my entire spine to head and third eye. on exhale i go the way i went in.

Also, we do not imagine a ball of energy. We just work with our attention. We do not limit things by imagination, we let things evolve into whatever happens in that session. We just stick to the procedure described in the lessons.
http://www.aypsite.org/41.html
With one slow, deep inhalation let your attention travel gradually inside the nerve from the perineum all the way to the point between the eyebrows. As you exhale, retrace this path from the point between the eyebrows all the way back down to the perineum. Then, come back up to the point between the eyebrows with the next inhalation, and down to the perineum with the next exhalation, and so on.
Go to Top of Page

jenniferad

47 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2011 :  11:27:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2011 :  02:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds liek she is doing fine and shouldn't focus too much on the details of technique at first, just fous on regular practice and sensitivity. With time the details tend to reveal themselves in practice. Just don't restrict the breath on the inhale but allow it to be gently received. use the sound in the throat to slow and control the exhalation. Don't ever exceed your comfort zone and if you read this website there is more than enough information to work with. Just keep up regular and steady daily practice!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000