Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 witness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  8:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
still waiting on my witness, i know i'm still a bit early in the game but sure would like to advance.
bless all.
L

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  01:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
waiting will make u wait more...
just Be

Edited by - maheswari on Jul 28 2011 02:27:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  02:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Imaher22

quote:
still waiting on my witness, i know i'm still a bit early in the game but sure would like to advance.
bless all.
L

That in us that waits......is itself the witness. When what we are looking for/waiting for never shows itself, we slowly - over time - fall back into the waiting/looking itself and let go the idea of advancement or any other concept we might have about what it is to "just be here".

I never knew how to just be here. I still don't.

Everything changes all the time. Gradually we stop waiting for that to change. With the help of our daily practices and an honest and full engaging in every day life the witnessing is continuously becoming more and more conscious. Thus we can enjoy the level of consciousness that is here.

May you be tenderly embraced by your humanness.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  07:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that K.

(or thanks for being that...)

Miguel.

Edited by - miguel on Jul 28 2011 07:06:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  08:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Imaher22,

Katrine made an excellent point about "engaging" in everyday life. An example is that just listening can help. Try "just listening" to some relaxing music. When the mind clutter stops and you listen to music,ultimately the witness is left to enjoy the music.

Just relax and let the music wash over you.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  09:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:)
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Personal change, including the rise of the witness within that, indeed happens from my experience, except that it is never in plain sight. The change happens across time, and from the perspective of now, lacks reference points and other tangible elements to permit the mind to easily declare anything, providing the illusion that nothing changed, even if, truly, everything has and in ways unimaginable.

The moods that once colored life in one direction or another no longer have the same grip. Events and social dramas fade into a background of fleeting moments. Bhakti is ever stirred (and sometimes set ablaze ). From this emerging perspective, it becomes harder for the mind to regard such things with the same level of significance they once had. This in effect gives the illusion that they never were so all-consuming, that it really is not that hard to transcend them, and not much has changed.

I imagine it is also possible to encounter denial to the changes when they are truly brought to light, perhaps attributing them to abstract concepts such as 'aging'.

..Or maybe mythologize the witness as something other than what is already emerging. This might serve our bhakti for a time, but in the end only becomes another foreign concept obstructing our relation to the now from its place of origin in the unmanifested edge of its ever re-emergence.

all the best on your path :)
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  2:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The witness witnessing itself witnessing itself witnessing itself witnessing itself witnessing itself witnessing itself witnessing ..... like a hall of mirrors.

Love!

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  3:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi :)
Here is an interesting bit about the Witness. In it Gurudeva answers many questions including how to cultivate the Witness, how long it takes to establish one's self in the Witness... and the practise is very simple and easy to do. You will know right away what the Witness feels like, if only for a short time at first..

link: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...s_ch-30.html
quote:

Saturday
LESSON 209
Seeking a New Perspective

In the philosophical-theological perspective of the mind which I call mulif, we see thoughts as traveling from one to another. This is what they seem to do, from one point of view. They not only travel from one person to another, but are seen to pass rapidly before our vision, ever demanding and commanding our awareness to travel with them. We are then faced with the tedious task of quieting the mind by endeavoring to control these thoughts. Through breath control and various forms of prior understandings, which are cumulative as we persist in the performance of our sadhana, the deep, mystical perspective which I call shumif soon situates individual awareness deep enough within ourselves, undisturbed by physical or emotional upheavals and intellectual tangents, that the world of thought may be viewed as stationary, and it is awareness that moves from thought to thought, scanning and registering what it sees. This, as I have mentioned before, is the perspective to be sought and attained through the performance of sadhana.

Remaining in one place in the inner depths of the mind, totally aware of being in that one place, as well as aware of that which is happening about you, is the state to be attained and maintained throughout your life. By being the watcher, ignorance is dispelled, emotion is quelled, and the foreboding stampede of excitement is subdued. By being the watcher, the overview of life is precise, and an equal balance between the inner and the outer is maintained.

During the course of this practice, you may feel totally apart from what you had come to believe were the realities of life. It must always be remembered that an initial dissatisfaction had occurred, compelling the search within to begin. It was this dissatisfaction that first consciously established the deep, inner state of being able to watch your mind think and experiences occur. But this state, once attained, is not easy to maintain. Practice is needed to give confidence and accept new habit patterns in the outer realms of daily expression. The practice is the constant pulling of awareness within, and from there, that one central point, looking out upon the mind. Only in performing this act time and time again does success come and stay.
If you have never experienced watching your mind think, observing your emotions play, watching your body move while living within it, then you may find it difficult to conceive of this state of perpetual permanence within one central point deep within.

As we have to start somewhere, let's begin with the body. The eyes watch the hands at work, and while doing this, we can think about the hands. Also, one step deeper, it is possible to think about the eyes and inwardly observe the mechanism of sight. There is a "you" in there that is observing this mechanism of sight, the eyes, the eyes seeing the hands, the thoughts about the hands, eyes and sight. This "you" is the watcher, the witness -- the state that the mysticis consciously conscious in. Becoming conscious in this state through this one simple practice is possible for short periods of time, and once you have understood the principle involved, success is assured.

Sunday
LESSON 210
Become The Watcher

We must be aware that it is only reawakening consciousness into a natural state, and that there is nothing mystical, difficult or inward that has to occur to hold an awareness of the inner and outer simultaneously from one central point in the mind. It is only because one is not accustomed to thinking in this way that it may seem difficult. But little children are in this state much of the time, and it is natural to them.

The beginning stages of watching the mind think I shall describe as similar to sitting quietly with your eyes open and, while not thinking about anything in particular, simply looking at what is around you -- all of the time feeling somewhat empty on the inside, but seeing what is in front of you, to the left side of you, to the right side of you, above you, below you, and knowing what each object is, but not thinking about any object or collection of objects. Your eyes are watching; who lives behind them is the watcher. The objects that the mind perceives are similar to thoughts.

When you close your eyes and begin thinking about the objects you have been looking at, duplicating your surroundings in your mind by creating thought pictures of those objects, there is a deeper you who is the watcher of those thoughts. This you can practice all through the day almost anywhere you are. It takes no particular skill or practice. It can be done at any time. You are simply becoming conscious of the natural processes of awareness, consciousness and thought which have been going on day after day all through your life up to this point.

Each time you practice being the watcher, using the method just outlined, as soon as you begin to succeed, you will immediately receive the impact of realization of the extent of involvement in the external mind that had occurred between these periods of practice. You will find that the more you practice regularly, increasingly, more frequently, you will remember to continue "the witness" in the midst of daily life -- while riding in conveyances, talking with people, shopping in crowded stores, even in the midst of a disagreement or at the pinnacle of a creative flow. "You," the watcher, will preside, and in presiding will carry that inner presence so necessary for a full and fruitful life.

With this in mind, be encouraged, for we must remember that total involvement in the externalities of the mind seems to be the cultural trait of this century. Therefore, it may take a few years to change the pattern. To send awareness soaring within to home base is not easy when the rest of the world is plunging in the opposite direction. If at first you only succeed a few minutes a day being able to watch the mind think or watch the eyes see, that is sufficient, as long as the practice is regular and consistent, day after day.

Other kinds of practice previously outlined in the sadhana of this book will strengthen this ability and increase your capacity to maintain that equal balance between the inner and the outer, if performed with regularity. This intricate study of awareness steadied versus fluctuating thought can only be pursued by taking the slow and sometimes arduous approach, not being overly enthused by success or discouraged by failure.

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  4:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
great comparaison Carson
Go to Top of Page

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  5:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A useful transit point, the witness, but if you can, live wholly instead.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2011 :  10:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also waiting for my witness
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  03:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i am waiting for my man (the velvet underground)
much more appealing to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugY9CwhfzE
kidding of course...why wait for anything?...life is great Now even if it is sh*tty...lolllz

Edited by - maheswari on Jul 29 2011 04:01:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2011 :  07:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha ha! That was my favorite group back then; the Velvet Underground and Nico. Of course the real star was Lou Reed. Sort of drug soaked and very dark.

My favorite was Venus in Furs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awza...ture=related
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  02:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
That was my favorite group back then

the music nowadays is really really crap....
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  09:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No no! - there is an incredible amount of good music available on the net - you just have to search for it.
I started another thread here with some examples:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=10119#1011

But don't depend on mine, you have to find your own - it's easy, but takes time.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2011 :  10:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful post AumNaturel,

Thanks!

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000