Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 ten minutes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  10:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Not to bore anyone but I've consistantly noticed that it takes me a good ten minutes to get into a 'comfortable' state while meditating. Lately though, I seem to get into a 'happier' state a bit earlier. Am I getting better at it? Does it become more normal a way of living as time passes? Will I ever feel like I've made a 'break through'? Thankfully it's almost an ingrained habit now so I do it no matter what and I do have lots and lots of hope because of this site and the people on it.
Bless you all.

trip1

USA
739 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  11:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit trip1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lmaher22,

AYP meditation is a practice, and as with any type of practice, we will become more in tune with it the more we do it. With that said, yes, it sounds like you are moving forward with your meditation.

In regards to "breakthroughs", they will come, and it will be exciting. We can enjoy them for a while, and then move our focus back to our practice and continuation on the path. While these peak experiences can be great indicators of our progress, the real benefits of practice will begin to reveal themselves in our daily life as the mind begins to take a back seat to the current moment. This is where the rubber meets the road.

Congrats on building a daily practice, and best wishes on your path.

Brett
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  03:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I often notice 1 spontaneous, very relaxed, very deep breath of relief after about 10 minutes, exchanging even the residual air with no effort at all. It has become more automatic and far less dramatic over the years. When I meditate very regularly, it seems to happen a couple of minutes earlier, but I no longer bother to check the clock.

A "western style" explanation is that regular practice fine-tunes the meditation process, making it dig down more quickly through the "shopping list layer" of consciousness, where the mind stores superficial rests and traces of thoughts from everyday life;
the pleasurable periods are just part of the scenery, and periods of friction (although probably fewer or shorter) are scenery too, and they tend to return and go away most of the time (unless we'e talking about an extremely quiet life in an ashram - maybe, just maybe... )

IMO part of "getting better at it" is favoring the mantra even while noticing some scenery. Judging the "results" or "feelings", thinking the meditation technique through, or comparing things are all conversation activities of the mind, rather than meditation activities. They're not imperative bans, but rather subtle, useful signals that the mantra might be sliding out of focus = a call for effortless action = favoring the mantra.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  06:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Seemingly good or bad sessions are an illusion. Each session is what it is, you can't get better or worse at it although sometimes it feels that way. The part where you can't seem to get into the meditation is every bit as valuable as any other part.

Whenever you think things are not going well......then easily go back to favouring the mantra, it's just your mind wanting to make up the rest of the thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2011 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. I think I need everyone's support as much as I need the excellant advice.
My sincere thanks,
L
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000