Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Meditation: how to prevent a very good nap?!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

spinal_tap

Indonesia
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  08:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit spinal_tap's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that while meditating, we have a focus/awareness and then we have thoughts. they are 2 different things. You can send your focus/awareness to parts of your body, for example if I focus on my hands then my hands will be more sensitive. If my focus is on my mind/brain area, then my mind will be more active and thoughts can easily enter.

it is possible to focus on the mind and yet not have thoughts. It is like focusing on the hand but not moving the hand. The hand become more sensitive but it is not used, you are merely focusing on its existence.
It is easy to mistake focusing on the eyes as focusing on the mind too, especially when the eyes are closed. At least thats what I feel.

while some may say it is impossible to have thoughts because even if you are aware/focused on the mind then the sensation you feel, the existence you feel are thoughts. Maybe those feelings are thoughts, but as long as it is the right thoughts and its working, why not?

I have a theory on this purification. I read that when we fast, our body heals itself because the energy that are usually used to digest food are used to purify our body. Something like resetting our body to its original factory default, I think. As for our nervous system, if we meditate successfully maybe our mind are fasting from the daily thoughts. And thus the energy used to 'digest' those thoughts are used to purify/reset/repair our nervous system. Just my theory though, I have only meditated successfully yesterday(because I stop smoking) after trying for about 2 weeks so please don't take this ideas seriously..
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  09:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good analogy Spinal Tap. Could be true.

Gumpi is correct in saying nobody can say he is doing his practices wrong. We have no way of knowing what he is doing.
And by the same token, Gumpi has no way of knowing what the results will be for other people.

Each of us has to do what we feel to be right according to our inner guiding force. This inner guru will only begin guiding us when we begin finding silence within.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  1:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
good analysis spinal tap.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  1:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Goddessinside

I wana share something with everybody:
whenever each one of you has the opportunity to be in nature,
go, sit and do your practices: they will simply be 10000000 times
more intense as you will gather much much prana from the sun, the air, and all the trees and plants..
I did DM this morning, in wild nature. I dropped about 5 times into sleep (not too deep),but very quickly got back to the mantra..
I really felt the difference between doing it outdoor and indoor:
you just feel nourrished by the prana around you and it cleanses in a deep way, supporting the meditation process.

So, try it if you didn't already, and enjoy!

PS: you can also just sit under a big tree, for about 30 minutes,
and receive its healing energy...it works miracles!

hi Goddess,

concerning practicing in the outdoors it helps in prana work but not so much in deep meditation.

the best condition for deep meditation is a dark room so that the senses may withdraw within.

don't take my word for it, try it and you'll see the difference.

but this doesn't mean that this is a must for deep meditation to work.

yogani has covered the outdoors part here:
http://www.aypsite.org/31.html

by the way everyone likes being arround trees, especially them cedar ones

and thk you for opening this topic, good discussions are flooding in.

warmest regards,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  4:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Ananda, of course meditation is a turn "in" not "out"
at the beginning, cause actually there is no IN and OUT.. we know that. (at least we know it intellectually!)
When I was meditating outdoor, I realized, of course, that it was a bit unusual.. because usually, this inner work is done at home, in a quiet place. So maybe it's also a matter of routine..
Yet, I could overcome this feeling and soon, I turned IN, and I came to a point where nothingness was felt all around.. nothing but pure energy..I was bathing in pure energy in and out..
When I fell in few seconds of sleep, there was no more IN and OUT..
The whole process felt like a communion.
This is definitely a very little taste of what could be experienced afterwards..

PS: Cedars? If the Guru is not in you, go to the cedars, you will find Him there, totally drunk!
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  6:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gumpi,

For me the gap is the silent witness, myself. It is inner stillness.

Regarding AYP style meditation, it is soft style meditation vs. hard style meditation which you describe. That is how I like to think of it. Before AYP, I did hard style as you describe it and got some authentic experience with it. But in my old age, I am lazy, and I prefer tai chi to kung fu if you get my metaphor.

To me, the AYP could almost be described as a taoist approach. By resisting nothing and forcing nothing you come to rest in your native state, the silent witness, the gap of 'awareness of awareness', over and over again, which gradually expands. By not fighting thought or anything, you transcend it.

I love becoming conscious of my entanglement with thought during meditation. It is accompanied by a self recognition and the knowledge that I am under no obligation to stay entangled, and a simple return to the mantra. I am present for a while and then again I go unconscious again only to become conscious of my presense and again return to the mantra.

No effort. The result is a state of continual presense and unbroken consciousness.

Pages 82-83 in the Self Inquiry book are very good in this respect. The mantra is just a device to help you develop the key ability necessary to be successful in this style of meditation.

A continual habitual letting go. I find the sense of freedom it creates very pleasurable.

Well, that is how it is for me. I am very easy to please.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  02:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Goddess,

the guru is everywhere in and out thk you for the reminder, and thank god we know it more than intelectually now it's a certain fact.

and i love to go up and see them old cedars trees, it's a blessing that we are able too in the part of the world where we live in.

by the way, it seems that your case is very similar to mine concerning practices.

i used to do a lot of yogic practices before i got here as well, but when i added the deep meditation technique on this site wowahhh it all changed and got multiplied in effect even though i used to do other forms of deep meditation like letting go and midfullness...

do keep us posted with your progress in case there is any, and watch out cz you might need to self pace if this multiplication thing is happening.

love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  02:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
p.s: i need you to send me the exact address for the salam center book store.
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  03:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

p.s: i need you to send me the exact address for the salam center book store.

Hi Ananda,

Salam Center is mainly a macrobiotic and organic store with
books, CD and DVDs section..

http://www.baytalsalaam.com , phone: +961 1 383111
Just ask them for the address.. it will be easier for you!

Hope you will find interesting informations..

Peace..

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  01:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
guess it's back to ordering from the internet for me after what i've heard, one day the availability of such books in leb will change...

namaste
Go to Top of Page

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  2:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Look into practices called tightening and loosing involving open eyes, gazing up and a variety of different things to do to wake up. You can interrupt with kumbhaka session for five minutes, get up and walk around, do an asana, etc. etc., to freshen up your mind, and then get back into it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000