Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Snake 's danse
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jeanjean82

France
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2024 :  10:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
Following a discussion with @dogboy, I remembered a movement that creates a very particular effect in me. To give a little background on this sensation, I believe I?ve always experienced it (sometimes with a slight nausea) when I spun around on myself while tilting my head slightly to the side for a certain amount of time (a bit like the dervishes). When I stopped, I would of course feel a bit dizzy, but also a very pleasant sensation that 'electrified my whole body.' I?ve always considered this sensation as a 'normal' physiological effect without really trying to understand it further. Recently, I came across a video from 'Original Strength': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAQ8JfrlqHg.
This movement is supposed to activate (among other things) the vestibular system. When I perform this movement by engaging the entire spine and following my clasped hands with my gaze (about 30 repetitions), and then stop, a pleasant yet almost overwhelming sensation electrifies my body from bottom to top. I feel like I can regulate the intensity of this sensation by adjusting the number of repetitions. I wonder if this sensation has an energetic origin.

While observing this movement, I noticed two things: 1) it seems that the body moves like a snake (see video), and we make an infinity sign with our hands, which made me think of Ouroboros (a snake forming an infinity sign by biting its tail) and... kundalini is sometimes represented as a coiled snake... coincidence?? I'm not sure if everyone feels this, and maybe it's just a unique feature of my nervous system. However, I was wondering if any yogis could share their experiences with this movement...

Note that if I follow my hands without sufficiently engaging my entire spine, nothing really happens (except for slight dizziness). You really need to make the whole spine undulate (without hurting yourself) for it to work (the video is quite representative, I think). Thanks for your feedback!!

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2024 :  04:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
JeanJean, thank you so much for this link to Original Strength, I ended up subscribing the channel! I will give this particular movement some effort and report back. The host of the channel has a very similar outlook I have on movement and the vestibular system: to build strength, test balance, breathe mindfully, and to work connective tissues, including employing tongue and facial exercises, all while striving for fun and playfulness in my yoga.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000