Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 full length mirror: simultaneously inside/outside
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2024 :  4:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In my home I have a few spaces where asanas are practiced in full-length reflection, an opportunity to reflect on one's inside and outside, in real time and inner silence. Balancing poses are my 'go to' because of the requirement to give the body attention and quiet the thoughts. I gently flow between standing poses, holding each about five seconds, for as long as the lactic acid in the standing leg will allow. If I faulter, no matter, just tap the toe and go back to what happening. The lactic acid will decide.

When I have had enough and stand in tadasana the lactic acid, without fail, shoots through this body and out the head. I had to learn to pause and know it. Now the other side.

Gazing at my reflection, especially in fluid motion, is simultaneously arousing and awkward, I get shy about meeting my gaze, and begin inquiring about the thoughts in real time, all the while holding my gaze loving the fleeting moment.

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2024 :  8:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So there is no one in the online AYP world inclined to engage in a discussion on asana or their personal yoga practices?
Go to Top of Page

Jeanjean82

France
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2024 :  08:51:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Dogboy,
I haven't your sensibility but i could share with you some idea about physical practice. It's not a yoga practice per se, but I personally see it as an interesting way to free our body and mind from tensions, whether physical or emotional. It's somewhat yogic, after all... I dedicate some time during the day to observe my body through slow movements and/or light contractions and relaxations. My level of attention is not focused on energy movements (anyway, I don't have that sensitivity or enough prana in movement to feel it), but rather on the simple sensations that flow through my body. This resembles the Feldenkrais method; I see in the simple awareness of tensions in the body a better integration and emotional and physical relaxation. There is no need to 'do' anything, just to be aware of the sensations associated with movements, contractions, and relaxations in the body. I imagine that this 'illumination' through attention allows for integration and an automatic 'correction' of unnecessary tensions in the body. I have practiced one martial art (Systema) and There is a lot of work related to muscle tension in connection with emotional states. Maybe you 'll find that interesting! Best
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2024 :  5:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello JeanJean thanks for engaging. Much like any creative endeavor (of which I include yoga practices) the pursuit is isolating and apart from others, and done in privacy. There also seems to be a stigma among yogis to share or discuss experiences, so I really appreciate when others find the inclination to do so.

quote:
I see in the simple awareness of tensions in the body a better integration and emotional and physical relaxation. There is no need to 'do' anything, just to be aware of the sensations associated with movements, contractions, and relaxations in the body. I imagine that this 'illumination' through attention allows for integration and an automatic 'correction' of unnecessary tensions in the body. I have practiced one martial art (Systema) and There is a lot of work related to muscle tension in connection with emotional states. Maybe you 'll find that interesting

I do find this interesting, and good practice for you should you find yourself in a conductive body in the future. Our inner attention does sharpen as we mature spiritually and influences our inner intentions along the way. The practice you describe sounds similar to instances when I may awaken in the night and do not immediately fall back to sleep. I witness the tension in the situation and surrender any anxiety regarding it by imagining thoughts/tensions within dissolving like a seltzer tablet in water. The act, this imagination, is often enough to literally feel relaxation and to fall back to sleep, the body rested enough to not be tired in the morning. Noticing inner tension and thoughts is the first step toward relief through active attention, a good imagination, and the belief our changing neurobiology is producing a more capable "you".

Thanks for your response!
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2024 :  06:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy, My asana practice is much less robust than yours, more akin to Yogani's short set. I also don't do my poses in front of a mirror. I can relate to a similar experience when doing weight training at the gym. There is a mixture of feelings noticing my own body in the mirror. After weight lifting muscles are at their fullest state, which can feed into narcissism. Generally I lean slightly into an appreciation of any "improvements" in my overall aging body, mostly as a way of continuing to motivate myself to keep at it.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2024 :  02:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Generally I lean slightly into an appreciation of any "improvements" in my overall aging body, mostly as a way of continuing to motivate myself to keep at it.

Amen!

Edited by - Dogboy on Oct 13 2024 02:17:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000