Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Ujjayi During Asanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

elderberry

USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2024 :  4:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been working my way through the AYP asanas course.

I am on lesson 19.0 on using ujjayi Pranayama during our Asana routine.

The instructor says that ujjayi (restricting the epiglottis) should be used on both the inhale as well as the exhale.

This seems to contradict Yogani's instructions on ujjayi during spinal breathing pranayama in lesson 41:

"On the exhalations, allow your epiglottis to close enough so that there is a small restriction of the air leaving your lungs. Do not restrict the air coming in. Rather, allow the deepest part of your throat to open wide, comfortably."

Are asanas different in this way, in that we should be engaging ujjayi and restricting airflow during both inhalation as well as exhalation? Or am I misinterpreting the instructions given in lesson 19.0 of the online video course?

Edited by - elderberry on Jun 30 2024 4:02:53 PM

Christi

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2024 :  7:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Elderberry,

It is really up to the practitioner. As you mentioned, Yogani advises to use ujjayi only on the exhalation with Spinal Breathing Pranayama with a fully relaxed throat on the inhalation. He feels that restricting the air flow on the inhalation can create a slight negative pressure in the lungs which can cause irritation and be distracting. However he has also said that it is not a big deal and someone could use ujjayi on both the inhalation and exhalation if they are drawn to do that.

It is the same with asana. If someone prefers to use ujjayi with only exhalation then they can, or they could use it with both inhalation and exhalation. It can be good to experiment with both and see what feels right for you.

So, it is not that there is something special about asana practice that could require a different approach, it is simply that Devrim, who is teaching that course, prefers to practice ujjayi that way.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2024 :  12:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Before AYP I was taught it was for the exhale, and Christi's advice squares with the idea the inhale stimulates/integrates and the breath should not be impaired. I love ujjayi in asana, the whoosh of sound is subtle arousal in and of itself. Listening to your exhale is an opportunity to notice when your breath catches or sighs in automatic joyful expression.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2024 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dogboy and all,

Personally I use ujjayi only with the exhalation sometimes, and at other times I use it with both inhalation and exhalation. I find there is not a great deal of difference. The benefits of the practice come either way. When ujjayi happens automatically during practices, I find it is usually happening with both inhalation and exhalation.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000