Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Ayurveda - Does it work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

SubNaut

Belgium
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2024 :  3:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

does anybody have good experience with Ayuveda or experience at all? Reading ayurvedic books, the system seems so very arbitrary, micrological and regulating at the same time, even contradictory sometimes. It doesn't seem logical why those guidelines should help maintaining health or prevent disease.

Mats

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2024 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SubNaut,

I cannot really give insights from my own experience. However, I have similar thoughts now and then and would also be interested if someone could shed some light on the issue.

Christi, do you have answers to those questions that you would like to share?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2024 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SubNaut and Mats,

I have not had any experience with Ayurvedic treatments helping to maintain health, or prevent disease, but I have had experience with following Ayurvedic guidelines around diet and with techniques for cleansing the physical body.

If I am feeling sluggish, then I will avoid eating heavy foods, and eat more salads and lighter foods. If I have too much heat in my body (caused by excessive prana rather than by the physical temperature) then I will avoid spicy food and spicy teas such as ginger. If I have an excess of mucus then I will avoid dairy and have more bitter foods such as miso soup. Also, honey, ginger and lemon are good when there is too much mucus. Over the years, I have found all these things to be very beneficial for bringing the body back into balance, and for helping me to be able to continue with my practices.

I have also made a lot of use of the Ayurvedic purification practices such as jala neti (cleansing the nasal passages with salt water), and basti (colonic irrigation). Jala neti is useful when there is too much mucus blocking the sinuses, and basti for when digestion feels slow and sluggish. Again, these things are not necessarily for preventing disease, but rather for bringing the body into a balanced state so that it is easy to continue with spiritual practices.

As for whether Ayurvedic principles could be used to prevent disease, or to maintain good health, I think that could be the subject of an interesting study. I will leave that one for the scientists! In the meantime, we can make use of Ayurvedic principles to support our yoga practice if we wish to.

Yogani has published a simple guide to using Ayurvedic dietary advice to balance kundalini issues on the AYP Plus site which is here.

Addition 304.1 - Balancing Kundalini with Ayurveda Diet Measures

It is also in Part Two of the newly published paperback book "Advanced Yoga Practices - The AYP Plus Lessons" here
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000