Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 purification and timing question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  07:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys

Rod Speaking. Hope you're all well.

I've got three questions:

1) If I do 5 minutes of DM after 10 days would theoretically "cause" the same purification as 10 minutes after 5 days?

2) Is it possible that there will be a time when 5 minutes of DM would not purify my nervous system so in order to start purifying again I would have to increase the time?

3) In this case, is DM's purification cumulative or time-based in your view?

I'm sure it will help a lot, thanks.

PS: I'm oversensitive to mantra meditation like some people here so I'm doing only 5 minutes of DM (once daily) and I stil feel purification in my nervous system (yes, my energetic body is awaken).

Edited by - digofarias on Feb 03 2014 07:39:19 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  08:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Digofarias,

One of the most important aspects of yoga is the cultivation of inner silence. 5 minutes of meditation is not really long enough to cultivate inner silence, so if you have had to cut back to that degree because of over-sensitivity to the mantra, then I would suggest you switch to breathing meditation until things settle down. Breathing meditation does not have the same effect on the subtle nervous system as the mantra does, so you should be able to sit for 20 minutes per session or more which will give you more time to cultivate silence and peace.

The purification will happen in due course anyway as the sense of peace and stillness deepens.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  09:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still doing breathing meditation (It's been a year actually) and now I tried to include some DM to speed things up. If 5 minutes is too little so these energy moviments I feel after 5 minutes of DM in my nervous system are not linked to purification then? Are these just useless side effects of an oversensitive nervous system to mantra meditation? Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Digofarias,

One of the most important aspects of yoga is the cultivation of inner silence. 5 minutes of meditation is not really long enough to cultivate inner silence, so if you have had to cut back to that degree because of over-sensitivity to the mantra, then I would suggest you switch to breathing meditation until things settle down. Breathing meditation does not have the same effect on the subtle nervous system as the mantra does, so you should be able to sit for 20 minutes per session or more which will give you more time to cultivate silence and peace.

The purification will happen in due course anyway as the sense of peace and stillness deepens.

Christi

Edited by - digofarias on Feb 03 2014 09:06:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  09:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Digofarias,

That's great that you switched to breathing meditation. And if you feel stable enough, then it is fine to add in some DM as well. I would only recommend keeping an eye on how it goes which I am sure you are doing already.

5 minutes of mantra meditation is only too short a time to establish inner silence (for most people). It is not too short a time to experience purification in the nervous system from the mantra. In fact, even one repetition of the mantra would produce purification. But the degree of purification would depend partly on the degree of inner silence present in the mind when the mantra is being recited. Mantras resonate in silence.

So that might help to partially answer your first set of questions about what is equal to what in terms of timing. Purification is affected by inner silence, so meditation for 10 minutes will be more profound, and more purificatory than two 5 minute sittings. But both purification and the degree to which inner silence is established are affected by two body clocks. One body clock is a 24 hour one, which means that if we sit every day at the same time, we will experience deeper silence- and therefore purification than if we only sat once a week say, for a longer period of time. The second body clock is a 12 hour one, and it has to do with the re-setting of the subtle energetic body. So this means that sitting twice a day for 20 minutes each time would be more powerful than sitting once for 40 minutes.

So it is a complex process, but basically the most powerful effects in terms of purification come from practising twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening before dinner, and meditation for at least 10 minutes each time, and preferably longer.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

digofarias

Brazil
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  2:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi,

That was a lovely explanation. I'm doing well with 5 minutes of DM (it's been a few days already) and I'll probably be able to increase the time a little bit soon so I hope to get to the point where the mantra purification and inner silence are both working together.

Love,

Rod

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Digofarias,

That's great that you switched to breathing meditation. And if you feel stable enough, then it is fine to add in some DM as well. I would only recommend keeping an eye on how it goes which I am sure you are doing already.

5 minutes of mantra meditation is only too short a time to establish inner silence (for most people). It is not too short a time to experience purification in the nervous system from the mantra. In fact, even one repetition of the mantra would produce purification. But the degree of purification would depend partly on the degree of inner silence present in the mind when the mantra is being recited. Mantras resonate in silence.

So that might help to partially answer your first set of questions about what is equal to what in terms of timing. Purification is affected by inner silence, so meditation for 10 minutes will be more profound, and more purificatory than two 5 minute sittings. But both purification and the degree to which inner silence is established are affected by two body clocks. One body clock is a 24 hour one, which means that if we sit every day at the same time, we will experience deeper silence- and therefore purification than if we only sat once a week say, for a longer period of time. The second body clock is a 12 hour one, and it has to do with the re-setting of the subtle energetic body. So this means that sitting twice a day for 20 minutes each time would be more powerful than sitting once for 40 minutes.

So it is a complex process, but basically the most powerful effects in terms of purification come from practising twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening before dinner, and meditation for at least 10 minutes each time, and preferably longer.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2014 :  4:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Christi,

That was a lovely explanation. I'm doing well with 5 minutes of DM (it's been a few days already) and I'll probably be able to increase the time a little bit soon so I hope to get to the point where the mantra purification and inner silence are both working together.

Love,

Rod

Hi Rod,

That's fantastic. Good to hear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000