Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Insight timer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2011 :  1:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For those that revel in the iPhone / pad revolution I have been using this brilliant little app for a few weeks.

It gives a selection of singing bowls and intervals sounded by gentle chimes. The sound quality is very realistic.

However this isn't simply a timer, it's a community. You can see who is meditating at the same time as you and it allows the logging of your practice times and dates as well as a place to add a personal diary of your session.

It's quite good fun to use and you can make friends with like minded illusions

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  4:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

For those that revel in the iPhone / pad revolution I have been using this brilliant little app for a few weeks.

It gives a selection of singing bowls and intervals sounded by gentle chimes. The sound quality is very realistic.

Hi Karl, :)
Thank you very much for pointing out this app for iPhone!

So far I am enjoying it immensely. Not only am I using it for a meditation timer, but I'm also using it as a custom meditation device. Let me explain. I've set up a routine for 35 minutes, and I've set up the interval time for 1 minute. So, a bell goes off every minute. When the bell goes off, I listen intently to it as the sound dies away. As the sound dies, I increase my attention in order to hear exactly when I can no longer hear it. At that point, with intense concentration, I'm listening to the hole that bell left behind. Perhaps this is inner silence.

I first learned about the fading bell phenomenon from a CD by Eckart Tolle; how listening carefully teaches you how to increase your attention and how it leads you to silence/presence.

Anyway you look at it, I believe this meditation is good training for the attention and seems to lead me to silence very easily.

I've been looking for such an app for quite a while. Was going to write one myself, but you've saved me the trouble.

Thanks again. I sure appreciate it.

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000