AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Adyashanti - on being "stuck" in "emptiness"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 13 2011 :  4:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"Many spiritual seekers get "stuck" in emptiness, in the absolute, in transcendence. They cling to bliss, or peace, or indifference. When the self-centered motivation for living disappears, many seekers become indifferent. They see the perfection of all existence and find no reason for doing anything, including caring for themselves or others. I call this "taking a false refuge." It is a very subtle egoic trap; it's a fixation in the absolute and all unconscious form of attachment that masquerades as liberation. It can be very difficult to wake someone up from this deceptive fixation because they literally have no motivation to let go of it. Stuck in a form of divine indifference, such people believe they have reached the top of the mountain when actually they are hiding out halfway up its slope.

Enlightenment does not mean one should disappear into the realm of transcendence. To be fixated in the absolute is simply the polar opposite of being fixated in the relative. With the dawning of true enlightenment, there is a tremendous birthing of impersonal Love and wisdom that never fixates in any realm of experience. To awaken to the absolute view is profound and transformative, but to awaken from all fixed points of view is the birth of true nonduality. If emptiness cannot dance, it is not true Emptiness. If moonlight does not flood the empty night sky and reflect in every drop of water, on every blade of grass, then you are only looking at your own empty dream. I say, Wake up! Then, your heart will be flooded with a Love that you cannot contain."

-Adyashanti

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  02:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it is a razor edge path..till the very end of the path...it is essential to keep on enquiring who am i ..until the very end ...ie total total disappearance of the i...let it sink in the Heart and die their ..never to emerge again...only the grace of the Self will help the seeker to avoid pitfalls ...only the Self will suck this i into the Heart and kill it...
namaste
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  03:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda
I say, Wake up! Then, your heart will be flooded with a Love that you cannot contain."

-Adyashanti

God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. (1 John 4:16).

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  05:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
manigma ur quote made me remember this quote from a book i am currently reading:
"Love is the law of life.To love is to fulfill the law"(This monk from India-Swami Chidananda...by Yvonne Lebeau)

Edited by - maheswari on May 14 2011 05:19:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ananda,

Thank you for this post, it is something that really resonated and need to be heard on this end.

There was such a strong draw into transcendence that once it was recognized, the mind did not want to leave. In fact it created to duality through a process of defining the absolute and the relative. One truth the other maya. The past couple of years have been a process of abiding as the Self but not including everything as the Self. It seems the "neti, neti" practice can do one a disservice. There was an assumption that this process of abiding as the Self would somehow organically transform my entire reality so I would only know and see the "Self" everywhere. All it did was further isolate and make distinction were there were none in truth.

Reflecting back, I used the emptiness as a refuge to escape from the relative. The relative that I did not want to deal with. Not wanting to deal with it, was of course justified, because the relative was illusory.

Coming to terms with the paradox that knowing you are infinate, complete consciousness while being in a localized, limited body/mind has been one of the most challenging things for me.

Coming back into and embracing the body/mind has been existentially painful, but absolutely necessary.
Thanks...

Edited by - wakeupneo on May 17 2011 3:53:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Ananda,

This is the best post to ever flow out of you.

I call this "not being a mushroom head". If we are just going to spiritually masturbate with our near-freedom, then we might just as well be masturbating with mr. thumb and his 4 friends. There is no meaningful difference.

I'm not saying that a fully self-realized being, couldn't spend long periods of time playing with kittens or whatever.. but the flow does things in the world.. not just in the ether.

Beautiful, lovely, enlightned post, my dear brother.

Love,

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is necessary and body/mind/world IMHO is not illusory, it's the face of God/Truth everywhere in everything.

Thank you for writing and sharing your personal experience, it's very helpful to know...

Speaking from this side, I also go into the heart cave to enjoy bliss every now and then and sometimes it's used as a form of escape from what Is! instead of accepting it...

I wish you all the best on your path my friend.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Kevinji

Thanks for the reply, you are a kind soul

As for the post, well these are the words of Adyashanti and not mine:
http://www.adyashanti.org/

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

Yes it is necessary and body/mind/world IMHO is not illusory, it's the face of God/Truth everywhere in everything.

Thank you for writing and sharing your personal experience, it's very helpful to know...

Speaking from this side, I also go into the heart cave to enjoy bliss every now and then and sometimes it's used as a form of escape from what Is! instead of accepting it...

I wish you all the best on your path my friend.

Love,
Ananda

Ananda,

No, you demonstrated enormous wisdom with your post.

To become obsessed with near emptiness, is no better than to become obsessed with near fullness. Our PERCEPTION of both advaita and dvaita (non-dual and dual) are equally entrapping.

Just like Katrine did with her recent post... even the perception of the emptiness is not the emptiness.

I am honored to be in the presence of giants.

Love,

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  01:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My good friend, I feel more like an elf over here.

It's me who is honored to be in your presence. To be honest with you, I had some early disagreements about the way you shared your knowledge here being a guest at AYP and all but your openness and loving acceptance and the rapid change which that has brought in you humbles me in respect.

namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000