Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 But who weeps for God?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  05:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Men shed a jugful of tears for the sake of their children, for their wives, or for money. But who weeps for God? So long as the child remains engrossed with its toys, the mother looks after her cooking and other household duties. But when the child no longer relishes the toys, it throws them aside and yells for its mother. Then the mother takes the rice-pot down from the hearth, runs in haste, and takes the child in her arms.(Ramakrishna)

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  11:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No offense to Ramakrishna but I've done this so many times in the past and I still do it every now and then (Just can't help it... Even though I might not want to...) And I've banged my head in the walls enough I think. Daily practice is much better

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is my favorite quote of Ramakrishna's, Maheswari.
Thanks for sharing that.

Yes, as we keep going on our path, Ma sends us scenery to keep us entertained, but when we are no longer satisfied with the scenery, when we let go the mind pleasing toys, Ma (stillness) will show us herself.

Ananda, practices are the cry for ma... Ramakrishna is saying not to get caught up in the scenery but keep practicing with bhakti and the oneness (Ma) will soon be revealed to us.... well at least that is how i have always looked at it.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  1:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti,

"Practices are the cry for ma..."

Sorry but I can't agree... By crying I meant the unbearable suffering which comes out from the desire for release, for melting and disappearing... As for them tears in the eyes well that's just a little part of the equation... In practices it's inner silence, ecstasy and bliss often with tears in the eyes

Salam
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 10 2011 :  1:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Suffering is an addiction. Suffering fills the emptiness, with
something that seems more attainable.

When we define "ourselves"; when we define "our path", we are
actually choosing suffering over liberation. Suffering makes the
pretty lights in our nervous system.

The source of all light and apparent darkness, is none other
than the One.

There are many apparent paths to the one.. but at the end of the
day, the child comes home for dinner and hugs, no matter the
dirt, frogs and poisonous serpents he plays with, on the path home.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  05:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
good to know it is yr favorite quote dear Shanti...i agree with u that practices are the cry for Ma...it is Her blessings that push us to practice...and that wakes up this inner urge in us...
Ananda i got ur point...give up "the desire for release, for melting and disappearing"....
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  05:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"By crying I meant the unbearable suffering which comes out from the desire for release, for melting and disappearing... "....
Ananda ..this sentence really moved me....God bless u...
who is there to suffer?

Edited by - maheswari on May 11 2011 06:23:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  07:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No one is... Yet the play is still going on and what's mentioned above still does happen from time to time but very rarely now... As i've already written it happens even though I don't want it to happen.

Salam
Go to Top of Page

njethwa

USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  09:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If a kid wants candy and if you deny,there are different reactions based on the kid individual. some kids may stop asking, some may do tantrums and some will start crying. If you scold enough and be stern some kids may stop the tantrum and forget it.

Some kids if they really want it will keep weeping with all the noise, some kids will keep repeating their plea weeping and sobbing "please, can i have one". Finally the kid who's time is right may get the candy (enlightment?), sometimes even after so much of weeping and sobbing, the parent successfully manages to divert the attention by showing some tricks or a toy(distraction), sometimes the parent just says "not today, you will get it tomorrow" (keep practicing) and so on.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  09:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

As i've already written it happens even though I don't want it to happen.

Pushing it away (I don't want it) is as much a mind game as encouraging it.
Be with it.
The excessive crying and overflowing devotion is purification... so we self pace... but pushing it away or fearing it will keep it in place.
When it comes up, accept it, observe it, allow it, but dont become a part of it... don't get swept away by the power of it... but don't fight it either.

"Accept It, Observe It and Allow It"
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
njethwa.."the parent successfully manages to divert the attention by showing some tricks or a toy(distraction), sometimes the parent just says "not today, you will get it tomorrow" (keep practicing) and so on."....no dear njethwa,the child 's attention for the toy is NOT due to the Self (the parent)...the child made the choice to focus on the toy....that is why how can he get the attention of the Self?....it is only when the child realizes the futility of the toy that he starts crying (practicing) for the Self....of course enlightenement (which is always here and now...and we are already That) will come to the child only when the time is right....the ground should be very well prepared...
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
from hard core vedanta pint of view...the child did not make any choice...all is pre planned...there is no child ..no toy...nothing ever happened...sorry for the complicated useless blabberring
Go to Top of Page

kevincann

USA
335 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Free will ... what a concept! LOL. Some comedian said that.
For most of our existence, we do not have the free will, not
to believe in free will. LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

As i've already written it happens even though I don't want it to happen.

Pushing it away (I don't want it) is as much a mind game as encouraging it.
Be with it.
The excessive crying and overflowing devotion is purification... so we self pace... but pushing it away or fearing it will keep it in place.
When it comes up, accept it, observe it, allow it, but dont become a part of it... don't get swept away by the power of it... but don't fight it either.

"Accept It, Observe It and Allow It"

Thank you, I needed this
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  3:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

from hard core vedanta pint of view...the child did not make any choice...all is pre planned...there is no child ..no toy...nothing ever happened...sorry for the complicated useless blabberring

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000