New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  2:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never experienced any heartbeat irregularities. Doing kechari does seem to channel my breath in a different way as if it takes a more "internal" path but I have not experienced any breath or heart stoppage from kechari so far
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  10:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin,

I did hold the epiglottis closed.

What I meant was the effect of the extreme depth diminished over the days, and eventually I was no longer able to produce these results.

I have never (yet) had considerable sessation of heartbeat. I expect that if I cross further boundaries, my heartbeat will start to slow down too.

-D

Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  03:12:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David wrote:

quote:
What I meant was the effect of the extreme depth diminished over the days, and eventually I was no longer able to produce these results.

As the ability to hold breath for very long is a sign of slow metabolism and deep rest, it seems to mean that you're not having your meditation as deep as those days. How can that be? Is this because of your intensive meditation those days?

The ability to hold breath for 5 minutes or so is rather common for adepts in India. The book Hatha Yoga written by Theos Bernard (published in 1968)contains a description of the experiences of the author, who was a American scholar in the subject. The books is a rather objective and honest record as i see it. After a few years of training, the author can hold his breath for 5 minutes (though he usually hold it only for 3 mins).

By the way, that book is probably the first (1968!!) book in English to contain instructions on snipping/milking of the frenum.

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Mar 30 2006 04:03:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can hold your breath for five minutes just by practicing. I used to hold mine almost that much because we had a swimming test where we had to swim the length of the pool underwater, so i practiced holding my breath.
I think i was up to four minutes when it was enough for the test.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  09:21:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In you case, Ether, is this done by extending it gradually with at least some strain? Still, i've to say you're rather talent on that to be able to hold it for 4 mins by training: I don't think many people can be trained to hold that long.

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Mar 30 2006 09:40:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lavazza

69 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  10:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lavazza's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether, that's amazing. I think my record was 35 or maybe 40 meters. I think that I could do 25 today, but I have not tried for 15-20 years.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  11:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin said:
As the ability to hold breath for very long is a sign of slow metabolism and deep rest, it seems to mean that you're not having your meditation as deep as those days. How can that be? Is this because of your intensive meditation those days?

Yes, this kind of phenomenon is worth mentioning.

For a time after a positive transition into Inner Silence ( and/or/= the removal of a blockage ) some active 'karmas' become temporarily dormant and the mind/body often goes into a temporary state of extra-high consciousness. The karmas start to act again and there is a descent from that peak. The effect is like temporarily (in some aspects of yourself) going up ten steps and then down eight. You are left having gone up two, but have a nice preview of what is to come.

'Up and down' are indeed maybe not the best way of looking at it -- Another way of looking at it is the window becomes temporarily extraordinarily clean, then begins to get clouded again. Like looking through a car windscreen which is being wiped by windscreen-wipers in a rainstorm, but in slow motion.

In short, it wasn't that my meditation practice weakened, but rather that I was enjoying a very temporary advance.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Near,
Tell us some interesting experiences that you have had
-Shanti.

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 30 2006 5:05:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  8:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin wrote:
"In you case, Ether, is this done by extending it gradually with at least some strain? Still, i've to say you're rather talent on that to be able to hold it for 4 mins by training: I don't think many people can be trained to hold that long."

Yes, I can't recommend my method because it might be bad for you, but what I did was hyperventilate first, then lie down and watch the clock while relaxing as much as possible. I could increase the time by maybe 10 seconds every day. At the end my body would start that automatic convulsing, trying to breathe. So I would try to stand that as long as I could also. It really came in handy a couple times when I got caught under turbulent water while trying to body surf huge storm waves.

Lavazza, our pool was no longer than 40 meters. It's just that you have to hold your breath for much longer lying still than when you're swimming because energy uses up the breath. I didn't mean I could swim for four minutes under water! You can usually do about half if you really swim with minimal energy.

Edited by - Etherfish on Mar 30 2006 8:08:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  02:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David wrote:

quote:
In short, it wasn't that my meditation practice weakened, but rather that I was enjoying a very temporary advance.

The "up and down" fluctuations is understandable. It is common in other physical endeavors too. But when did you experience that? I don't think it's common to a temporary advance of, say, 2 years!

Ether wrote:

quote:
I could increase the time by maybe 10 seconds every day.

Amazing!! But even if you or anyone recommend it to me, I won't try. I am worrying about any risk of damaging my brain. With appropriate preparation, I can hold for about 2 mins. But I didn't do it for a year, and I didn't aim for longer. By the way, you progress is considered to be VERY fast. Even 10 sec per week is rather good already.

The scriptures mentioned that when one can hold the breath for a few hours, something extraordinary could happen. Considering the fact that no one on earth can show this in public, I find the claims rather difficult to believe.

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Mar 31 2006 02:58:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lavazza

69 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  07:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lavazza's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
2.15 without hyperventaling at my first try here behind the computer after lunch. Not a nice experience, but curiosity got the better of me.
Go to Top of Page

Lavazza

69 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  07:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lavazza's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The world record in underwater swimming on one breath is 164 meters. The world record in underwater breath retention is a bit mor than 7 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  08:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin wrote:
"The scriptures mentioned that when one can hold the breath for a few hours, something extraordinary could happen."

Yes, you get to see God in person. Oh, did I mention you won't come back?
just joking, I'm sure Babaji can do that, but it's like all those other accounts of stuff that happens much later. Doesn't mean anything from where we are at now.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  09:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000