AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Back to basics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shantaya

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit shantaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello to you all in this wonderful forum. I've never participated in something like this so please forgive any breaches of ettiquette or protocol!
I started AYP ages ago and got distracted by lots of other practices. Just got myself all muddled and unfocused. I'm ready to give it another go; I'll keep the basics of my asana practice, but start meditation from scratch. I have a simple question, though. When repeating the mantra I AM or AYAM, we are not to worry about the meaning, but the vibration. So, does it matterr how one pronounces I AM? I've lived lots of places and it could be pronounced AYE EM, or AAAH AYem, or Ah aim, or ....you get my drift. In particular does the AM vibrate like 'am rhymes with ham' or 'ahm like bij mantras lam vam ram', etc. Or does it not really matter?

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 06 2007 12:38:10 AM

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  4:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't sweat the details. Just start it up and let it go, sort of like a barber cutting your hair. Let the mantra do its thing.

Also, just to be clear....don't actually SAY the mantra. Just let it silently intone.
Go to Top of Page

shantaya

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit shantaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jim & k,

'Ah Aim' ready to just give in to the process. I've had enough sweating of details already!
Go to Top of Page

shantaya

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  5:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit shantaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Melissa,

Deal! Thanks, all!
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  5:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Shantaya

Were all here to help each other so post as many questions as you like there will always be someone to answer you.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  6:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Shantaya. "I am" glad you decided to join us If you don't have a clue about the etiquette and protocol.. you are at the right place.. So "ah aim" away.. there is no wrong way "ay yam" sure

Edited by - Shanti on Mar 21 2006 6:16:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  8:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Shantaya!

We're glad you're starting over and glad you're here. I did that after a fifteen year break to raise my kids.... Hee Hee. Might have been a smoother process if I'd continued the meditation!

Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  10:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi shantanya,

Let the pronunciation be similar to how you pronounce english 'I AM'. Actually any word will do in the initial stages because the exact vibratory qualities matter only as you advance and go deeper. Dont worry about your pronunciation once u start the meditation. Then it just becomes some faint sound which you want to come back to whenever u lose it.

-Near

Genes are a result of karma RATHER THAN A CAUSE OF IT - Yogani
Go to Top of Page

shantaya

9 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  2:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit shantaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your warm encouraging welcome. I'm really glad to be back.
Go to Top of Page

shantaya

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  10:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit shantaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again,
I've been exploring different topics and just found this discussion which further answers my first question.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=529

I'd decided to try to use ay-ahhhm instead of my more yankified pronounciation I am; seemed just as easy, and even easier to detach meaning from mantra. These posts (starting about halfway down the first page) were an interesting treatment of a pretty basic question. No need to get hung up on details but no harm in starting out closer to the "correct" vibration. I hope this helps any other newbie who stumbles upon this post.

I'm finding the practice lovely, simple, elegant. Things have gone pretty smoothly in meditation, and I'm finding a base of stillness that is growing stronger in my daily activities. I feel blessed that AYP found me!
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  11:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shantaya, it's very good to hear that your meditation is going smooth. I use AYAM also since a year, it works very good and makes it devoid of meaning, as you have found too. As we can read in many other posts as well, simplicity is what we want in meditation, that is what will help us get rid of all our unnecessary complexities in our minds. You may also be interested in getting Yogani's little book (not little in content!) "Deep Meditation" which is available from our home page.
Go to Top of Page

shantaya

9 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  11:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit shantaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Weaver,
I have the little blue book, as well as the AYP Online lessons book. They are both great resources. I received an invitation about 2 years ago (or more, I don't remember exactly when...) to join the yahoo group and followed the lessons as I received them online. I was very, very new to hatha (Anusara) yoga, and to meditation. I had some intense experiences after my first or second meditation session (before AYP) and a good teacher-friend referred me to Kundalini Yoga (as taught by Yogi Bhajan) to help bring my energy into balance. Shortly after I began receiving the AYP lessons. My appetite for all things yoga was pretty voracious and I've tried lots of different things. As I mentioned in my first post, I got pretty unfocused and muddled. I'm so happy to return to this sweet practice. Yogani is truly inspired, sharing the core of this wisdom without hocus-pocus, pseudo-mystery, or ego. What a treasure.

Edited by - shantaya on Apr 17 2006 11:40:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  12:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000