Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Brandon Lee (The Crow)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  04:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In an interview just prior to his death, Lee quoted a passage from Paul Bowles' book The Sheltering Sky that he had chosen for his wedding invitations; it is now inscribed on his tombstone:

Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

I watched the movie 'The Crow' yesterday. I was surprised to see how much it resembles with 'Batman: The Dark Knight'. The characters, the story, dialogues, scenes... very identical.

The most surprising thing is both Brandon Lee (Crow) and Heath Ledger (Joker) died at the age of 28.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/pho...-245-245.jpg

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  07:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I visited his grave, and Bruce Lee's, in Seattle a few times.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  08:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes of course, The Crow was made long before Bman. I love Brandon Lee. I have a poster of him from the Crow on my wall! I went to college with the author of The Crow.
There is all kinds of controvery surrounding him (and his dad Bruce Lee's death).

When Brandon got shot in the movie, it was a real bullet! The ballistics experts had checked the gun and loaded it with a blank, but they later figured a bullet must have been lodged partially up the barrel. I think the actual footage of him getting shot was cut from the movie out of respect for his family, but it really happened.

Very good quote from his gravestone. I have thought about that concept so many times. I forget about "life changing" spiritual experiences so easily, let alone everyday occurrences... time seems so long and other times so short.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 26 2011 1:15:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  11:44:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Minigma, Etherfish,

Interestingly, for me, there was a take-off on that Bruce Lee story last night on the detective show titled Monk, but I did not know it was a take-off until I read this forum this morning. There was a martial arts instructor, a student of his who was a movie star who was killed under unusual circumstances, a museum of memorabilia for fans, and best of all an exhumation of the corpse to ascertain the nature of movie star's "death."

Bewell

Edited by - bewell on Feb 26 2011 11:46:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  02:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Yes of course, The Crow was made long before Bman. I love Brandon Lee. I have a poster of him from the Crow on my wall! I went to college with the author of The Crow.

Cool. One of my cousins in England has it on his wall as well. But I saw the movie for the first time.

Quick rundown on the similarities I noticed between Crow and The Dark Knight:

1. Crow and Joker makeup and acting.
2. Crow - Bats
3. Joker talks about his father/childhood. Top Dollar does the same.
4. Joker and Top Dollar both carry a small knife.
5. Gordon (DN) and Albrecht (Crow) both say "He does that" when the hero disappears while they dialogue with someone else.
6. The way Crow enters the gang meeting saying 'Good Evening Gentlemen'. Joker does the same in a scene in DN.
7. Crow and Joker both sit cross legged in a scene in both movies.
8. There is a major scene of a car banging into the side of another car in both the movies.
9. There is a scene where the Hero says "Let her go" and the villain drops the girl and she goes sliding down the roof.
10. Both Brandon and Heath are dead and they died at the age of 28.

There could be more similarities too.

quote:

Very good quote from his gravestone. I have thought about that concept so many times. I forget about "life changing" spiritual experiences so easily, let alone everyday occurrences... time seems so long and other times so short.

Its because the time itself is false.

Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  04:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
11. Both movies are based on comic books.

My friend's dad studied Gung Fu at Bruce Lee's school in Seattle in the 60's for a while. He said the movies don't do justice to Bruce Lee's speed and power. Amazing martial artist.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  05:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow
11. Both movies are based on comic books.

Oh yes.

12. Both Joker and Top Dollar like to burn places with Gasoline.
quote:

My friend's dad studied Gung Fu at Bruce Lee's school in Seattle in the 60's for a while. He said the movies don't do justice to Bruce Lee's speed and power. Amazing martial artist.

Cooool!

This is one of my favorite quotes by Bruce Lee:

A good martial artist does not become tense but ready. Not thinking yet not dreaming, ready for whatever may come. A martial artist has to take responsibility for himself and face the consequences of his own doing.

To have no technique, there is no opponent, because the word "I" does not exist. When the opponent expands I contract and when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, "I" do not hit, "It" hits all by itself.

~Bruce Lee [Enter the Dragon]

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  11:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bruce Lee had the "one inch punch". He would hold his fist one inch from his opponents chest, and when he hit his opponent would go flying and sliding for 30 feet. When he demonstrated it he would have the opponent hold a phone book on his chest to keep from breaking ribs and killing him.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  03:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Bruce Lee had the "one inch punch". He would hold his fist one inch from his opponents chest, and when he hit his opponent would go flying and sliding for 30 feet. When he demonstrated it he would have the opponent hold a phone book on his chest to keep from breaking ribs and killing him.

Wow... I wonder if I could do that too. But it requires years of practice and perfection.

You have to gather your chi/energy in your fist and then punch.

I tried using my chi like this a few years ago. But there is not even one martial art school in my city so I dropped the idea.

I am not hitting. The hands are.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...383978258506

You'll notice how I gave up hitting as I got exhausted very quickly. Its because I lacked the stamina and strength. If I continued to practice I would be hitting even more faster and harder.

But sooner I discovered that chi can be generated to make a very powerful blow... without moving any of your body parts at all.

And it would throw the opponent flying and sliding for 30 feet.

Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to post this link earlier, but forgot. Very interesting doc called "How Bruce Lee Changed the World" He was very influential in a lot of different areas.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/how-...anged-world/
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  8:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link, Steven. I only planned on watching 1 of the 10 parts for now, but ended up watching the whole thing. Very inspiring and insightful! I'd love to visit his grave in the near future.

Hope life is good where you are

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  11:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Cosmic, glad you enjoyed it. Bruce Lee's original school is still open in Seattle, a little north of the University district. I think one of his first students owns and runs it now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000