Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Blade Runner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  03:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Its an old movie but I watched it for the first time yesterday.

I have never seen a movie where the Villain saves life of a Hero. In the end, Deckard (Harrison Ford) is about to fall off from a ledge of a building when the villain (Roy) grabs his hand and pulls him up.

That was just mind blowing.

[Its raining outside and they are both fighting]

[Deckard hits Roy with pipe.]

Roy: Good, that's the spirit.

Roy: That hurt. That was irrational. Not to mention, unsportsman-like. Ha ha ha. Where are you going?

[Deckard does some amazing climbing, then jumps to next building, but fails to make it through and grabs on to its ledge. Roy follows, holding a white pigeon.]

Roy: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

[Deckard spits at Roy as he's about to fall; Roy catches Deckard with one hand and pulls him up.]

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the darkness at Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

[Roy sits down and dies. Bird flies off...]
Deckard : I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

http://www.trussel.com/bladerun.htm

Beautiful!

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  07:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The bit were Rutger Hauer releases the Dove is awesome. Even more impressive is where in the hell did he manage to get hold of one! Must have been friends with David Blaine.

Read the book

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K Dick. A lot of interesting questions he had.

Awesome, and very different from the film.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that film is one of my all time favorites. I have it on VHS, and I only owned very few movies then. That film made me a fan of Rutger Hauer. I think the doves were being kept in cages on the rooftop for wedding ceremonies etc.
You forgot to mention that Roy is an android. Not the usual human with robotic parts kind, but a robot with human biology. I love Daryl Hannah and Sean Young in that movie, both androids who are quite human, struggling to live a human-like life, while missing certain key elements like memories. They have memories but they were implanted.
It's a heart wrenching story because you can identify with the androids. Makes you realize that although we are struggling as humans, we are not ultimately human either.
Yes, incredible story and everything by Philip K Dick is awesome, several movies have come from them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000