AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 How do you define "mine"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gentlep

USA
114 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  9:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I hear from various non-dual teachings that "Neither I am the thought nor the thoughts are mine". Now I understand the 1st part that is I am not the thoughts as I can be aware of thought, unless in the moments I am lost in it. But the 2nd part, "Thought are not mine" is confusing. So I guess the definition of "mine" is of question here, isn't it? If I can say, the car is mine, the house is mine, the body is mine etc... doesn't the same "mine" apply to the thought as well?

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  3:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear gentlep,

since we're in the Advaita forum I'll speak pure advaita

Saying that the house is mine, the body is mine ect is also wrong in advaitic terms. Nothing ever existed, nothing ever happened. Because everything outside the body is thought form, which existence depends on the act of seeing. Close your eyes and it will all disappear and you'll be back to your inner thoughts pictures and feeling and if you inquire on those you'll be back to your I and from there well that's for you to find out.

Everything is created to point toward the Atman and it should be used as so. I suggest you read Atmanandopanishat, it's a small beautiful book written by Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon and some of it points really dissect what I am speaking about here and make it much clearer. You may find it for free on www.stillnessspeaks.com

I'll check if the book is still available there and share it in the books forum.

Anyways, back to the main discussion. We should differentiate between advaita talk and normal talk. The first negates the latter. Live normal and talk normal with normal people, talk advaita and live advaita with yourself and other like minded people.

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  3:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That "mine" feeling can be applied to anything in existence, or, like you may see something in your surroundings, like a tree, and it doesn't have any special significance to you, it is not yours so you don't have to try to keep it or protect it, you just watch it and continue on your way, if you'd think that tree is yours and it is special to you, you'd try to protect it, and if someone will want to cut it down you'd go bonkers!! I think that the people living in non-duality experience thought as just something passing that doesn't have any special significance. But they can use thought still to do whatever they want.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  3:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9205
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  3:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but I didn't find the free copies for Atmanandopanishat which consists of two books:
Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvrity.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000