AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Foundation of Identity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Anything I have ever accused anyone of being or doing, I am.

How would I like to be perceived by others?

and

What wouldn't I ever want anyone to think of me?

are

The pillars of identity and the foundation of "me".

Edited by - Anthem on Jan 15 2011 12:52:25 PM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  02:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  5:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Byron Katie in her "Nobody Intensive" workshop amongst other things, has people inquire into basic aspects of identity. For example, age, gender, nationality, political groups, social groups, family etc. It's a really interesting way to see past some of the underpinnings of identity that create and contribute to the limited viewpoint of "me", "i" etc.

The above post takes this to a more personal place where you can list all the ways you want to be perceived by people around you. Do you want to be perceived as kind, compassionate, considerate, spiritual, smart, attractive, etc.?

Equally important if not more so, how would you least like to be perceived, what are the worst things you could think of being? Dishonest, ignorant, dumb, weak, violent, evil, etc.

The way we want to be perceived or not to be perceived leads us to judging these qualities in ourselves and others.

A useful little exercise for self-inquiry!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  10:41:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Again much thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000