Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation - Mantra or focused listening?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

threearrows

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear forum,

I was wondering if there is a benefit to utilizing a mantra in meditation as opposed to deep listening, waiting, and anticipation - or vice versa. So instead of I AM, going into a deep state of intent listening.

What is the focus of the mantra and why would one add to a mantra (as is explained in AYP, adding "shree shree" to I AM, etc). If the goal is inner silence and listening, how does a supplement to a mantra help?

Thank you,
James

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 10 2012 6:43:49 PM

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  10:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
James,

Deep listening does have the same effect as meditation. Good music can do similar things. Mantra's can help in a couple simple ways... In the beginning, many people have difficulty just "listening" and are easily distracted. The mantra can keep the ego busy and focused. Also, thoughts and sounds have a vibrational impact on our energy system. It helps with the cleansing. With your deep listening, try listening to different music. You will resonate with some songs, taking you deeper.

Namaste, Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  12:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on my experience practicing both ways (mantra vs "objectless" meditation) I can easily say that mantra meditation has been vastly more powerful and effective. As for why one would want to enhance a mantra, i can once again only speak from my personal experience of having practiced with the enhanced mantra for several months. I find the first mantra enhancement to cause significantly more purification of my nervous system. I have experienced automatic yoga movements for a long time with the Ayam mantra, but once I switched to the first enhancement those slight head movements tuned into a full performance of automatic chimpump jaladhara. I've noticed a perceptible deepening of both inner silence and energetic cultivation.

So, why would someone want to enhance a mantra if the goal is to go deeper into inner silence? Well, because it works. That is the only response I can honestly give you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000