Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Ram Dass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  07:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
For those of you who don't know Ram Dass, he's an excellent spiritual teacher and a disciple of Maharaj-ji. He's obviously very well known, so I expect most of you have heard of him.

I watched this clip of Fierce Grace, a film about Ram Dass's life, and was moved to tears.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...01213738527#

There is also a 1 hour video narrated by Ram Dass, in which R.D. provides an overview of Ramana Maharshi's teachings. There is also comprehensive film footage of Ramana Maharshi and rare photos of him in this video. I'm just about to watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...740128202927

kami

USA
921 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing mr_anderson!

Just in the last week, I've read two books by Ram Dass - "Paths to God: Living the Bhagavad Gita" and "Be Here Now". Love them both! Have been reading the Gita for many years; but recently I had a feeling of losing sight of the forest for the trees. That is, with extensive commentary on each verse by so many authors, I was "losing sight" of the main message(s) of this beloved scripture. "Paths to God" came along (pretty much like everything else) at exactly that point in time when I needed it - when I was struggling to understand a few "key" concepts. It is not a typical commentary or verse-by-verse translation like other texts on the Gita, but actually the essence of all the 18 chapters. It also has a neat appendix at the end with an extensive guide on implementing the Gita in daily life.

Once in a while, there comes a book or teaching that kicks up one's sadhana several notches. "Paths to God" has been that book for me recently.

HIGHLY recommend this book for any student of the Bhagavad Gita.

"Be Here Now" is of course a classic, and now I know why! Fantastic overview of living a spiritual life. I'm already looking into his other books (Be Love Now is what I will read next)

Very profoundly touching in his work is his devotion to his Guru, Maharajji. He brings Neem Karoli Baba into the reader's consciousness with his love for him. In my case, also a yearning for the Guru (who is of course, in me )

kami

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  7:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you enjoyed it Kami - I was going to recommend it to you, thought you would like it. I have very good feelings about Ram Dass as a teacher and believe he has integrity. I've read his guide to meditation and will order paths to god as soon as I return to NY.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  9:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know that he just released a new book - Be Love Now.
Go to Top of Page

Jasmine_Sunshine

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  02:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting about Ram Dass...he is my hero!

I LOVE the organization that he founded called SEVA. They work with indigenous populations on health projects. They are best known for their work in preventable blindness, and have helped nearly 3 million blind people suffering from cataracts to see again in poor countries around the world. Check them out at http://www.seva.org

I particularly love their GIFTS OF SERVICE catalog. You can restore eyesight to a blind person in someone's name as a gift. A wonderful alternative gift! Check out the catalog http://www.seva.org/gifts

Thanks Ram Dass!!!!
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  06:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000