Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 First Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse in 456 Years
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  11:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just FYI to all:

2010's Winter Solstice (aka Tuesday, 12/21/2010) is the first winter solstice with a total lunar eclipse in 456 years.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 19 2010 11:28:42 PM

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  11:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman!

Sharing this with my fam!
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  03:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

It's gonna be something in terms of energy
.\ | /.
----
./ | \.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  10:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup....Full moon, lunar eclipse and the winter solstice all on one day....can you say "energy blast"?? Hahaha.

I posted this picture on FB the other day but figured I would share it with those of you here who aren't connected to me there..... http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/nat...tal-ANON.gif

This is a picture of the 1999 full lunar eclipse.... finding this photo made my whole being open into ecstatic pleasure.... like seeing a long lost brother for the first time. This is pretty close to what I had been seeing with my eyes open (and closed) for about 6 weeks straight a while back. I still get flashes (of varying length) of it everyday, but it is no longer in my field of vision non-stop (thank god!). Hope those of you who haven't seen this picture yet get a nice big kick in the kundalini from it.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  1:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks K-man

Here's another article that somewhat touches on the energy/transformation aspect of it. According to this, the solstice is masculine and the lunar eclipse is feminine, so that's why it's powerful and balancing. I don't know about these things, but it's interesting.

This is written from a wiccan, rather than yogic perspective, but it's interesting nonetheless: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life...2/story.html

Love!
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  3:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody and thanks cosmic for the link.
In the next hours to months, reality surpasses IMAX
What a sight!

Solar Eclipse Jan 4th., near perihelion (Earth close to Sun).

Full Moon March 19 near the spring equinox plus during the closest perigee (Moon close to Earth) in about 10 yrs.
Called the "Wolf Moon" among Candadian Indians, isn't it? (Full Moon in perigee - occuring once in 13½ months).

Times of reflection, for most of the time...
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  6:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Yup....Full moon, lunar eclipse and the winter solstice all on one day....can you say "energy blast"?? Hahaha.

I posted this picture on FB the other day but figured I would share it with those of you here who aren't connected to me there..... http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/nat...tal-ANON.gif

This is a picture of the 1999 full lunar eclipse.... finding this photo made my whole being open into ecstatic pleasure.... like seeing a long lost brother for the first time. This is pretty close to what I had been seeing with my eyes open (and closed) for about 6 weeks straight a while back. I still get flashes (of varying length) of it everyday, but it is no longer in my field of vision non-stop (thank god!). Hope those of you who haven't seen this picture yet get a nice big kick in the kundalini from it.

Love!

All very awesome .... but ....... I'm pretty sure that's a picture of a *solar* eclipse.

Lunar eclipse is more like this, this, here.

I was trying to understand a description of a lunar eclipse, and it wasn't making sense to me, because if (as is the case), the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon, how do we see the light behind it, as in your picture?

Answer: we don't, per the picture I linked to, above.

A lunar eclipse is less dramatic, but still very interesting, and per the 456 years part, very uncommon, especially right on the Winter Solstice.

The thing that makes a lunar eclipse interesting and dramatic is: not having the reflected light of the Sun to illuminate it, per the Earth blocking the Sun's light, the moon appears to go through its full phase (from full to new and back again) in, in this case - maybe always the case - 72 minutes (2:43am - 3:51am tomorrow, EST in the USA, for all you ultra-early risers out there).

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up!

And, to all:

Per Carson's post above, initial third-eye opening can look a lot like a solar eclipse (my initial experience was almost identical to Carson's, including the seeing it with eyes open, in broad daylight, for a few weeks - off and on, in my case).

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 20 2010 6:27:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  9:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that this will be a full moon eclipse in Gemini. Anyone have some knowledge how would this effect a young person with a Gemini sun sign?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  9:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, my bad. The picture I posted is the *solar* eclipse from 1999. I knew that, really I did... I'm just, well, perhaps all that lunar energy is making my brain a little mushy.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  10:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

Thanks K-man

Here's another article that somewhat touches on the energy/transformation aspect of it. According to this, the solstice is masculine and the lunar eclipse is feminine, so that's why it's powerful and balancing. I don't know about these things, but it's interesting.

This is written from a wiccan, rather than yogic perspective, but it's interesting nonetheless: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life...2/story.html

Love!
cosmic

Cool - thanks, Cosmic!

I don't know a lot about the symbolism overall, other than to say that yogically, all eclipses are considered to be the unity of opposites - Sun & Moon, Male & Female, Subject & Object, and so on.

In ancient times, this was symbolized by combining the Sanskrit syllable signifying the Sun (Ha) with the Sanskrit syllable symbolizing the Moon (Tha).

Yes - Hatha.

The fact that this occurs on the Winter solstice, the shortest day (and longest night) of the year, shows the connection of the unifying of these forms with each other, and their dissolution into the wholeness of pure awareness (the darkness of the longest night, multiplied by the power of the darkness of the total lunar eclipse - utter stillness).

From this stillness, new divine consciousness can be born - hence the myth of Jesus being born on December 25th (Winter solstice).

And so, symbolically and/or energetically, this event can potentially be quite powerful.

And, starts in, what ... about four and a half hours, in the U.S., yes?

(11:43pm on the West Coast of the U.S.; 2:43am on the East Coast.)

For those who check it out -- enjoy!

(I, having the siddhi of YouTube, will review it at a time less in conflict with my sleep schedule. )

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  10:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Yeah, my bad. The picture I posted is the *solar* eclipse from 1999. I knew that, really I did... I'm just, well, perhaps all that lunar energy is making my brain a little mushy.

Love!

No worries - the picture said "lunar" right at the top ..... and I was thinking that was a lunar eclipse (what it looked like), too.

It wasn't until the description of a lunar eclipse made it clear that that *couldn't* be a picture of one, that I "got it" (so ... my brain's mushy, too - a known side-effect of all this yoga stuff; "I'll take it!!" )

However, it's pretty clear someone just mis-labled that picture ... right under the picture, it talks about coronas, and flares ... which are both about the Sun, unless they're about getting involved in some beer-related unpleasantness. Per the picture, I'm going with "Sun". )

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  10:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

... my brain's mushy, too

Yeah I know....I've driven in a car with you Hahaha, just messin' with ya.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  04:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here it was cloudy until the Moon set down
Thanks Kirtanman, for the yogical recap of eclipses! Now skies & mind are getting clear, and I wish likewise to all creatures in Canada & the US, plus a better timing
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  09:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I stayed up and watched the whole thing with wonder. The skies were clear here, the moon was incredibly bright (until it was in the Earth's shadow of course ) and the energy was intense. Hope others got a chance to see it despite the middle of the night timing.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  2:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

... my brain's mushy, too

Yeah I know....I've driven in a car with you Hahaha, just messin' with ya.

Love!

Specifically with me driving you mean .......

And yes ..... I can get somewhere in just three hours that would take a regular driver at least an hour and a half!

("The siddhi of spontaneous scenic-routing" )

You've even experienced the power of Kirtanmaniacal directions on foot (along with Cosmic ........ as I'm guessing you both remember, for now, anyway ..... a few years of high-quality therapy should clear that right up, though .... ).

"My bad."

Really glad you guys lived, and everything.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  12:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey K-man, I love riding around in endless circles while laughing my fool head off. No worries about the driving (or the walking)
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  01:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that I didn't need nowhere near as much sleep on this night.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  08:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched the moon before and after, but slept during. . that's OK I'll catch it next time
i know what you mean about driving slowly. I watch my navigator and go the speed limit. Compared to everyone else that's slow, but I was inspired by tickets. Police depts are short of money - they lay in wait to prey on us big time around here.
If I get to work late I leave early to make up for it.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  09:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

i know what you mean about driving slowly.

Oh, Kirtanman doesn't drive slowly, he drives decently fast. He's just a bit "directionally challenged"

Story #1:

Kirtanman picks AmericanBaba, Rattan and myself up from the Newark airport. We're due for supper at Shanti's house in about 2 hours (in Pennsylvania). We hop in the car and head towards Shanti's house (or so we thought). K-Man is using his Iphone navigator to help figure out where to go, but somehow, we end up on our way into New Jersey, in rush hour....the exact opposite direction from Shanti's house. Needless to say, we were late for dinner.

Story #2:

Kirtanman is driving me (and I believe Cosmic as well) from Shanti's house to the Allentown retreat center....Shanti lives in a crescent on a closed loop....we exit Shanti's cresent, drive around the loop only to come right back to Shanti's street...obviously we missed the turn. We try again and realize the turn to take was the first right out of Shanti's crescent. We come to a 4 way intersection and Kirtanman says he thinks it's left, so turns left. About a minute after turning he says; "I don't recognize that strip mall, think we're going the wrong way," turns around and goes back and straight through the 4 way intersection (which would have been a right turn at first). About a minute down the second road he says; "I don't think this is the right way," turns around, goes back to the 4 way stop, and turns right (which would have been straight through the intersection the first time). Now we have tried all possible routes at the 4 way stop. About a minute into the last possible option at the 4 way, K-Man says; "Nope, this isn't the right way," turns around, and goes back to the 4 way stop and turns right (our original direction). This was in fact the correct direction.

Story #3:

We're at the retreat center and trying to figure out how long it will take us to walk from our retreat house to the main center for lunch. K-Man drives Cosmic and myself to the main center and tells us how to get back to the house on foot.
"Go up the hill....at the top of the hill there is a labrynth...follow the path out of the labrynth down the other side of the hill and you'll come back to the house...should take 10 minutes."
Cosmic and I walk up the hill (I'm wearing sandals, no socks, and the ground is wet and covered in leaves. Granted, I'm Canadian and this is no big deal, but that's assuming it's a 10 minute walk), find the labrynth, and begin looking for the path out the other side. Neither Cosmic nor myself can seem to find the path out. We decide we'll take what looks like the most well travelled path down the backside of the hill (which is essentially not travelled at all, it just has a few less trees perhaps) in the direction of the retreat house. About 20-25 minutes later we're still trudging around looking for anything that looks like a path, a house, or even remotely familiar.....nothing. We're really not sure what to do. We decide on a direction, end up walking through someone's acreage, coming to a road, which just so happens to be the end of the driveway of the main center...basically 200ft from where we had started. As we find the road we notice K-Man driving up behind us....at this point it was 45 minutes later. My feet were a bit cold and wet ....anyway, the path we were ACTUALLY supposed to take was at the bottom of the driveway (pretty close to where we ended our 45 minute trek, about 2 minutes from where we started), on the OTHER side of the road, and much much more "well-travelled".

So....in closing, enlightenment may make it a whole lot easier to navigate Life without any suffering, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll know which way is North.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  12:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is not a coincidence: solstice+lunar eclipse+full moon. Its a clear manifestation and a powerfull doorway to 2011 that will be a powerful year, for sure.
2011,2012,2013 and so on... will be powerfull/historic years from an astrological-energetic perspective.All we are are ascending.

Edited by - miguel on Dec 22 2010 12:46:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

swaha

Lebanon
88 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  2:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Story #1:
Story #2:
Story #3:

Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  8:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, if Kirtanman ever gives you directions, treat him like a doctor. Get a second opinion

To Carson's Story #3, I will just add that the actual route to get back to the retreat house was stupidly simple and easy. Yet we really roughed it trying to find the path. Slipping on wet leaves, hopping over rocks and fallen tree branches, wading uphill through tall grass. And I was concerned about being shot at as we walked through some guy's property. Shanti almost sent a search party after us

But it was a great time, so I hope you don't feel like we're picking on you, K-man. I love you for the laughs and adventures you gave me during the retreat.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  11:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

No worries, Cosmic (& Carson)!

I'm having fun reading the re-telling, too ... and will likely chime in with some of my own comments, tomorrow!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  11:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny is good!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2010 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

i know what you mean about driving slowly.

Oh, Kirtanman doesn't drive slowly, he drives decently fast. He's just a bit "directionally challenged"

Story #1:

Kirtanman picks AmericanBaba, Rattan and myself up from the Newark airport. We're due for supper at Shanti's house in about 2 hours (in Pennsylvania). We hop in the car and head towards Shanti's house (or so we thought). K-Man is using his Iphone navigator to help figure out where to go, but somehow, we end up on our way into New Jersey, in rush hour....the exact opposite direction from Shanti's house. Needless to say, we were late for dinner.

Well, I don't know that I agree that your recounting is completely factual.

.................................. I have a Droid, not an iPhone.

(Other than that, pretty much "spot on", I'd say ...... )

quote:

Story #2:

Kirtanman is driving me (and I believe Cosmic as well) from Shanti's house to the Allentown retreat center....Shanti lives in a crescent on a closed loop....we exit Shanti's cresent, drive around the loop only to come right back to Shanti's street...obviously we missed the turn. We try again and realize the turn to take was the first right out of Shanti's crescent. We come to a 4 way intersection and Kirtanman says he thinks it's left, so turns left. About a minute after turning he says; "I don't recognize that strip mall, think we're going the wrong way," turns around and goes back and straight through the 4 way intersection (which would have been a right turn at first). About a minute down the second road he says; "I don't think this is the right way," turns around, goes back to the 4 way stop, and turns right (which would have been straight through the intersection the first time). Now we have tried all possible routes at the 4 way stop. About a minute into the last possible option at the 4 way, K-Man says; "Nope, this isn't the right way," turns around, and goes back to the 4 way stop and turns right (our original direction). This was in fact the correct direction.

This one surprised even *me*. (And I deal with this stuff all the time ... ).

Thank you for not mentioning that this was all *with* GPS, though she (<- the female computer-voice that speaks the directions) wasn't exactly helping; I think even she was a bit aghast, at that point ........).

What's really crazy is that whole (correct) route had maybe 6-7 total turns / "directions to note" to it ... and I had 5-6 of them down just fine (it's the one you don't have that gets you ....... ).

quote:

Story #3:

We're at the retreat center and trying to figure out how long it will take us to walk from our retreat house to the main center for lunch. K-Man drives Cosmic and myself to the main center and tells us how to get back to the house on foot.
"Go up the hill....at the top of the hill there is a labrynth...follow the path out of the labrynth down the other side of the hill and you'll come back to the house...should take 10 minutes."
Cosmic and I walk up the hill (I'm wearing sandals, no socks, and the ground is wet and covered in leaves. Granted, I'm Canadian and this is no big deal, but that's assuming it's a 10 minute walk), find the labrynth, and begin looking for the path out the other side. Neither Cosmic nor myself can seem to find the path out. We decide we'll take what looks like the most well travelled path down the backside of the hill (which is essentially not travelled at all, it just has a few less trees perhaps) in the direction of the retreat house. About 20-25 minutes later we're still trudging around looking for anything that looks like a path, a house, or even remotely familiar.....nothing. We're really not sure what to do. We decide on a direction, end up walking through someone's acreage, coming to a road, which just so happens to be the end of the driveway of the main center...basically 200ft from where we had started. As we find the road we notice K-Man driving up behind us....at this point it was 45 minutes later. My feet were a bit cold and wet ....anyway, the path we were ACTUALLY supposed to take was at the bottom of the driveway (pretty close to where we ended our 45 minute trek, about 2 minutes from where we started), on the OTHER side of the road, and much much more "well-travelled".

Labyrinth ....... path ........... those words sound kind of similar, if one ..... has my (lack of) memory ....

And yeah, maybe 30-40 mins after I dropped you guys off, we had all finished unloading the cars ..... and a few people were wondering aloud why your ten minute walk was taking so much longer than that ......

I was dispatched to look for you (strangely enough .... ) .... and that's when we had the "straight outta Blair Witch Project // {Insert Horror Movie of Choice} conversation on a *very* patchy cell phone connection:

Kirtanman: "Carson!! You're alive!! Awesome!! Er, I mean ..... 'Hello?'"

Carson (sounding mellow and happy like Carson always sounds):

"Fu{static}!! We're really F{static}ng Lost, Dude!! F{static}!! We Fu{static static} out of the F{static}ng woods!! I don't Fu{static static}rever!! And F{staticstaticstatic}"

{Call drops}

Kirtanman: "Hello? Hello?? Uh Oh ......"

A bit later ..... Carson calls back ....

Carson: "F{static} Dude!! I think we're F{static}ng actually F{static}ng there! F{static}!! I think we see some F{static}ng buildings!! We F{static}ng made it!! F{static}!!!"

Then, I saw Carson and Cosmic emerge from the woods, at least 100 yards/meters from where they entered the woods (talk about traveling the pathless path!! ) .... and I gave them a ride back to the other part of the retreat center .... and the start of a great ..... story ... (and retreat!! )

A bit later, we were at lunch, and we saw Shanti kind of laughing to herself, and looking over at us (Cosmic, Carson and I were having lunch together, at the same table, as I recall) ... she finally came over, and showed us a text from Carson that had just arrived (cell phone service was very patchy at the retreat center), and which said (no kidding, direct quote -->)

"We're really lost ....labyrinth f****d us up. :( ;) "

(Though there were no asterisks in the original text.)

All's well ....... including that which ends well ..... especially when it's chock full o' humor potential .... *especially* when there were no injuries or large fines.

quote:

So....in closing, enlightenment may make it a whole lot easier to navigate Life without any suffering, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll know which way is North.

Love!

"Enlightenment is the end of suffering" ......... in one's own experience ...... no guarantees for anyone else in the vicinity, though!!

And, to end on a kinda-sorta-barely serious note (to anyone reading, especially if you were at the Allentown retreat) .... that's what I meant when I said that what changes, in terms of living unbound, or "in liberation", or whatever else we might care to call it, is context, not content.

Simply put: *all* the same kinds of things happen in life, generally speaking; there are just no conflicts, disharmony, problems or suffering -- at all.

(There wasn't a single moment, as far as I know, where any of us in the above stories was the tiniest bit upset - not even a little bit - then, or during the rest of the retreat.)

This was true of the retreat overall, and the recent New Jersey retreat, as well, in terms of how "those of us who've been at this a while" live life: normally, happily, peacefully and enjoyably.

That's just how it is.

What we get from practices isn't mystical, magical or supernatural - it's real; it's wonderful, it's perfect ... and it's equally available for us all .... and it's available right here (AYP).

Sometimes that reality still happily amazes me; Wow.

Happy Holidays to All!!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Dec 26 2010 8:04:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000