Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Numb legs after 30 min Siddhasana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2010 :  03:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently I upgraded my SBP and DM routine from 5 / 10 min to 10 / 20 mins, so I'm sitting total time 30 mins. Also then shikantaza which I also practice are 3 * 25 mins.

Now my legs grow numb in the end of the sitting, I sit in siddhasana with help of a cusshion. It doesn't bother me during the sitting, but afterwards it takes some time (a few minutes) till they 'recover' again.

Do you also have this, or does it go away later? Maybe somebody has advise for making my hips less stiff?

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  12:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sitting too much on your leg that is on your perineum?

Do you sit with back support?

To increase hip flexibility is the front splits. Which is quite extreme! If your hamstrings are too tight then try the lunge stretch.

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/2488

When there is enough flexibility and strength move your body straight up - not leaning forward while having your back foot flat on the floor - the top of your foot on the floor. Move your torso so it is perpendicular to the floor - hands off the floor, thus strengthening your hips for the splits. Then progress with holding the back foot to increase the stretch. Then onto to the splits if you so desire!

Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  1:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Zelebe

Recently I upgraded my SBP and DM routine from 5 / 10 min to 10 / 20 mins, so I'm sitting total time 30 mins. Also then shikantaza which I also practice are 3 * 25 mins.

Now my legs grow numb in the end of the sitting, I sit in siddhasana with help of a cusshion. It doesn't bother me during the sitting, but afterwards it takes some time (a few minutes) till they 'recover' again.

Do you also have this, or does it go away later? Maybe somebody has advise for making my hips less stiff?

hey there. yes this is common.

i would advise you to open your hips more with asanas. increased flexibility will allow your body to take siddhasana as a natural position without any stress.

just look up "hip openers" or something on the google and maybe check into a hip opening yoga class.
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  4:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sitting in this for a while could help

http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/486
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  1:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. I don't use back support and funny enough the leg that is on top goes numb/asleep; that's usually my right leg. But also when I put my left leg on top, my right one will turn out more numb. I'm going to try the hip opening asanas.
Go to Top of Page

Zelebe

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  2:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there,
I thought I post an update. My legs are already getting better, less numb. Also they recover already faster. I suppose it's also getting used to the longer sitting period a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  4:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Zelebe:

Did you try hip opening asanas or not? if yes can you please list the name of the asanas ?

Thank You.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000