Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Which books have you re-read over and over again?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So far I've got:

The Holy Bible
Tao Te Ching
Yogani's books
Yoga Philosophy of Patanjali: Containing His Yoga Aphorisms ... - Swami Hariharananda Aranya

Looking for more spiritual reading that I could re-read once a year, never growing tired of them.

Thanks!

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  10:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bhagavad Gita(!)
Gospel of Thomas
Light on Yoga
Where's Waldo? (still haven't found him )

I highly recommend Bhagavad Gita, hence the exclamation point (!)
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  03:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Vedanta: Seven Steps to Samadhi (Talks on Akshya Upanishad by Osho)

Finger Pointing to the Moon (Talks on Adhyatma Upanishad by Osho)

The White Lotus (Talks on Bodhidharma by Osho)

The Mahageeta (Talks on Ashtavakra Samhita by Osho)

The Secret of Secrets Vol 1 & 2 (Talks on the Secret of the Golden Flower, Lao Tzu, by Osho)

Dogen, the Zen Master: A Search and a Fulfillment (Talks on Dogen by Osho)

I Am That (Dialogues of Sri Nisargadatta)

Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful suggestions! I will look into each of them.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  12:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some books I have read many times over and continue to enjoy each time I re-read them:

"Loving What Is" Byron Katie
"Real Love" Greg Baer
"Secrets of Wilder" and "Deep Meditation" Yogani
"The Cosmic Serpent; DNA and the Origins of Knowledge" Jeremy Narby
"Ishmael", "The Story of B" and "My Ishmael" Daniel Quinn
"Holy Bible"
"Bhagavad Gita" Eknath Easwaran's translation

Love!

Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  6:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I began "I Am That" first (I liked the title). Goes well with AYP.
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  8:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I keep trying to read I AM THAT, but find it next to impossible.

I guess a page at a time is good.

Right now it is under the bed as I was perusing it recently, and I have used it to press my special nature things.

Today I was wondering while I hiked what a mendicant is?
I seen that frewuently and suppose I could get a definition...
Job title for like a merchant store owner?

Probably my most thumbed thru book is the prophet/kalhil gibran

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
some defs say a beggar or friar forbidden to own property.
A good one is:
Mendicant:
a member of a religious order (as the Franciscans) combining monastic life and outside religious activity and originally owning neither personal nor community property
Go to Top of Page

Panthau

Austria
149 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  03:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Panthau's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Eckhart TolleĀ“s books. I find his books are more objectively and for the masses, while other books
are written totaly out of subjective perspectives, which isnt a bad thing, but i believe they dont help as much
to get in the now yourself.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  09:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage890

I keep trying to read I AM THAT, but find it next to impossible.

I guess a page at a time is good.

LOL.

I remember I was stuck at Chapter 48: Awareness is Free! for atleast one week.

Here is an excerpt:

Q: You behave like a person who thinks.
Nisargadatta: Why not? But my thinking, like my digestion, is unconscious and purposeful.

Q: At this very moment who talks, if not the mind?
Nisargadatta: That which hears the question, answers it. The same power that makes the fire burn and the water flow, the seeds sprout and the trees grow, makes me answer your questions. There is nothing personal about me, though the language and the style may appear personal. A person is a set pattern of desires and thoughts and resulting actions; there is no such pattern in my case.

http://www.fixdisease.com/i_am_that.pdf

Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  12:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the part where ALL OF THIS ....
condenses to consciousness and

I AM.

one page at a time.

Sometimes I like my own made up confirmations. Today-

I see one of my nature things pressed randonly on chapter 48.
after reading the above posts
it is a bald eagle bookmark.

yesterday I murmur around made up names
one was eagle feather
and the other was spirit bear

I will have to read starting with chapter 48 tonight.

Hey Panthau----

what about what you DO like for reading? would you want to share that?

the mendicant word shows up with Nisargadatta, maybe in the forward.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  05:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sage890
I murmur around made up names...

..the mendicant word shows up with Nisargadatta, maybe in the forward.

Oh yes.

The mind produces thoughts ceaselessly, even when you do not look at them. This is your waking state -- your consciousness shifts from sensation to sensation, from perception to perception, from idea to idea, in endless succession.

Then comes awareness, the direct insight into the whole of consciousness, the totality of the mind. The mind is like a river, flowing ceaselessly in the bed of the body; you identify yourself for a moment with some particular ripple and call it: 'my thought'.

All you are conscious of is your mind; awareness is the cognisance of consciousness as a whole.

- I Am That, Chapter 48: Awareness is Free!!
http://www.fixdisease.com/i_am_that.pdf

Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  2:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm now half way through "I Am That" and I have just finished reading a lecture series by Osho titled "Sex and the Superconsciousness."

I am enjoying "I Am That." I could see re-reading it in the future. When I first began it, I had some opening because of the self-inquiry challenges Nisargadatta poses the questioners. But quickly, those openings led me in circles and it switched to non-relational self-inquiry.

I don't think I will be reading any more Osho. What is it that you enjoy about his talks? He reminds me of certain people I've known over the years. Verbal masturbators who seek to punish anybody who will listen to them. Storytellers and hypnotists who will test the limits of what things they can get people to nod their heads to. Preachers and prophets who seek only fame and followers. I see that he is quite skilled at it... but what's the point? I would be hard pressed to read any more of him. Perhaps I picked a poor example of his work, one of your suggestions would be better. It seems he has hundreds of individual works though!

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm going to finish I Am That, and then on to the Gospel of Thomas.

Edited by - JDH on Oct 14 2010 2:20:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  03:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JDH

I have just finished reading a lecture series by Osho titled "Sex and the Superconsciousness." ...... Perhaps I picked a poor example of his work, one of your suggestions would be better.

'From Sex to Superconsciousness' is a sweet and short book. It has some basic yet lovely talks given by Osho to general public in 1968.
http://balbro.com/s2s/

His later talks given to his disciples were much advanced topics.

Osho has a book titled 'I AM THAT' as well (1980).
http://balbro.com/iam/

Here is an excerpt:

I am that! This is the ultimate statement of the Upanishads. This "I" does not mean the ego; this "I" simply means your pure existence, without any ego in it. One simply is.

The moment you are without the ego, just utterly empty of the ego, without the self, just pure consciousness with no idea of any "I" at the center of it, then you are That, then there is no difference.

It has nothing to do with "I". In fact, they are trying to convey something which is not conveyable. They are saying, "I am not, now only God is." Now God is speaking; they are no more speaking.

LET MY BREATH MERGE WITH THE COSMIC BREATH...

This is the prayer; only after meditation it is possible. I should not be in any way separate from the whole. I should breathe with the whole, I should dance with the whole. This is ultimate let-go. Dissolve yourself with the whole, merge with the whole. Your breathing is no more separate, your heartbeat is no more separate. Your heartbeat and the heartbeat of the universe are in deep rhythm, they are in tune; there is a great communion happening.

Om
Purnamadah
Purnamidam
Purnat Purnamudachyate
Purnasya Purnamadaya
Purnameva Vashishyate.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogananda's autobiography of a yogi. The only book I have read more than two times (4x =P).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000