Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 knee pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  11:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently I have added bow pose to my sequence but have found that when I do it, it hurts my knees. I have also found this happens in setu bandhasana.

I can only describe the pain as like my legs being ribbed out of the knee sockets.

Not sure if it matters or not, but when I was a child my knees often would "lock" up on me, meaning make it so that I couldn't straighten my legs out for a short period

Does anybody know what I may be doing wrong or if there is something I could do to help it?

Thanks,
Luci

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  6:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luci,

I have the same thing where my knees lock.

First, you should make sure you have proper technique.

I advise you to especially pay attention to the angle of your legs when in these poses. They should be at 90 angles to the floor, and not spread wide.

Other than this, you really should see an advanced instructor regarding this, as one's technique and body cannot be viewed on the internets.

best wishes to you!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  10:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Luci and Tonight,

A pity I'm not in therapeutic yoga.

- Yes, keeping an eye on the angle is important, knee angle about 90 degrees (check if very small changes in angle make a difference). Elbows straight, the knees are "trying to straighten" to pull the upper body up, but there's very little movement in the knee itself, more like an overall "pull feeling"; you can try (gently) to sense it while the thighs are still on the mat and the knee angle still quite sharp (be careful with your knees, then) but the upper body is already lifted. If you're comfortable there and sensing the pull, take a couple of deep breaths there before lifting the thighs.
- The gap between the knees, yes, just slightly more than hip-wide apart, you can play with it a little, but play inches rather than ft.
- The grip is on the ankles, from the outsides. Again, try even an inch or two closer to the toes or to the calf, to see if that gives relief.
- The lateral angle. Legs almost parallell, but you can try to lean the calves slightly (inward/outward) to figure out your own middle path there.

Traditionally, the leg power lifts the body up. But, given knee issues it's much more important to listen to your own body... And, it's always wiser to have deep breath take you into an asana, in full awareness, than rushing into it by force.

Alternatives for self-pacing:
Half bow (ardha dhanurasana), one arm stretched forward, palm on floor, gently helping the lift.
Camel (ustrasana), with a matfold under the knees, to make it soft. Thighs near vertical, most of the bend in the thoraccic spine to make it a similar heart-opener as the bow.
All best, hatha

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Oct 22 2010 11:17:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  2:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Luci and Hatha,

One thing I just thought about (because i've been thinking about it lately ) is that pelvis. It's likely that the problem is probably not in your knees Luci.

As Hatha mentioned, form is crucial. But maybe you need to do some more hip opening. Seriously, go to a good yoga asana class and talk to the teacher about your concerns.

Hatha, I have a question for you.
I made a post (http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=8608) regarding a my own pelivs .

The right illium has a posterior/interior tilt, while the left side an anterior/superior tilt.

I'm doing lots of hip asanas... and i really would appreciate any asana advice you might have regarding poses that will stretch, balance and strengthen the area. If you read the post, you'll find that i've broken the problem down, but I need to "build it back up" again.

best wishes luci! thanks hatha!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  4:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tonight,

Again, a pity I'm not in therapeutic yoga...
Generally for the pelvic area (given very cautious self pacing)perhaps Gomukhasana, Supta Virabhadrasana, Ardha Matsyendrasana, Janusirasana.
In the bow, you can also roll to the side and then the other side (Parsva Dhanurasana), head off the floor, keeping the grip at he ankles.

The hints in the other AYP thread make sense, including chiropractics - you might even get some advice about therapeutic stretches there that are not mainstream asanas but efficient nevertheless. For ex., lying on your back, left knee bent and left footsole on the floor, right ankle on left knee, right knee pointing to the right. Let your hands gently pull the left knee toward you, right elbow pressing the right calf/knee away from you to increase the stretch in the right hip. Then swap sides. They usually customize the stretches to fit the particular combination of problems.
Best of luck, Hatha

Edited by - HathaTeacher on Oct 24 2010 4:37:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  5:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the advice hatha!

yes, i've been doing those poses along with some others.

they seem to be helping.

what i am realizing now is that i have had a "problem" with the right side psoas/adductors and related muscles for some time now. i can remember these pains from when i was douzaine years. they were simply covered up over time.

i will continue with these poses and some other stretches like the one you explained. these will focus on the psoas and quadrus lumborum.

what i'm curious about now is what does this injury represent emotionally? I feel like it was the product of my resistance to the divine flow, because i've never experienced extreme emotional or physical trauma (like abuse or a car accident).

i have been putting my left (feminine) side in front slightly, with the right (masc) side following behind. Paradoxically, the right (masc) side was support the majority of the physically stress.

could this mean that i was shielding the masculine with the feminine, and yet attempting to support the feminine with the masculine, like a soldier holding a shield? hard to say.

do muscle problems in the groin/hip flexor area generally refer to a particular type of emotional pain? or is a case of who knows?

you may not have any insight in these matters (I certainly don't!) but i thought i'd throw it out here just in case!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2010 :  1:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tonight,
I don't know the emotional implications of the pelvic area, but the L/R - F/M sounds very logical.
I've several old injuries and they're mostly on my L, which is my weaker side, and that by and large corresponds to the way I usually dealt with life.
Go to Top of Page

LucienneK

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  10:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi HathaTeacher and Tonightsthenight,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I was waiting for Carson to come home from the AYP retreat so that he could help me understand exactly what you were explaining. He read your responses and was able to physically correct me using your advice. We figured out what adjustments were needed and now I am able to do the postures with much more comfort.

Thank you for your help!
Luci

P.S.

HathaTeacher,
I had originally tried to send you a private message as Carson said you'd be the one to ask, but for some reason it didn't work. I'm glad I ended up starting a thread instead as it seems to have helped Tonightsthenight as well Everything is just so perfectly perfect when you let things happen how they're gonna happen eh?!.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  10:21:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LucienneK

eh?!

Eh.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2010 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for reminding me I've a new e-mail address.
Now my profile seems up to date again
Go to Top of Page

Marina_J

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  07:49:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marina_J's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your suggestion. I really appreciate your post. Massage is a very effective way to relief any pain. You massage your knee is to slowly move your patella in a circular motion. It tries to do it rather slowly. You massage every day 15-20 mints after few weeks you feel better.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000