Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 thoughts seem louder--anxiety!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DansInEveryWay

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  2:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hello all!

i have been meditating since january and things have been going wonderfully. i have become more aware of thoughts, emotions and behaviors and have had some great experiences (that i have accepted and don't expect more of). the problem lately is that my thoughts seem louder, faster and are generally more invasive (to the point where i feel overwhelmed at times).

i was attempting some self inquiry for a time based on robert adams' and n maharaj' teachings, but i think i'm not quite ready for that yet as it felt kind of artificial (it felt like i was forcing discovery).

so are these rushes of thoughts coming about because i am more sensitive and notice them more easily? or am i looking at thoughts the wrong way and expecting peace when there isn't any on that level of mind? MORE importantly, will these rushes tone down?

here is an additional rambling question that i don't really expect anyone to be able to answer concisely unless there are psychics out there: what, generally, are the signs that someone is able to practice self inquiry?

sorry i couldn't keep this more simple, but it has been rough lately. i'd appreciate any input.

thank you, dear ayp community!

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  3:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey dansineveryway

(((((((HUG)))))))

quote:
so are these rushes of thoughts coming about because i am more sensitive and notice them more easily?

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to this one. I suspect there likely isn't an answer to this question. Lots of times there are no answers to the "Why?" questions. Truth is, stuff happens. It's likely a purification thing, and a phase, which will pass (hopefully) soon.

quote:
or am i looking at thoughts the wrong way and expecting peace when there isn't any on that level of mind?

There are always going to be thoughts. In my experience they do seem to quiet down more and more as I continue to meditate every day, but sometimes there do seem to be "mindy" periods. I just deal with these mindy periods the same way I deal with the thoughts that still arise when the mind is "quieter"....I notice them, and then let them naturally dissolve as they want to. "Like waves on the Ocean man....they just come, and go....come and go." *said in my best possible stoned surfer dude voice* I suspect that as these rushes of thoughts are coming at you, you are tensing up on all levels. Just try to stay open, neutral and loving, and allow the thoughts to arise and dissolve, arise and dissolve. In my experience, the more you fight stuff like this, the more it sticks around. Best to just surrender and observe in my experience.

quote:
MORE importantly, will these rushes tone down?

I can't know for sure, but I suspect they will. Your reaction to these rushes can probably "tone down" though. The more you relax while the rushes are happening the less power they will have over you.

Hope this was helpful in some way.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  3:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a common experience when beginning a meditation practice. The more we meditate, the more we are able to experience the state of our mind as it really is.. and how is really is, is often quite crazy. I wouldn't say the thoughts are "coming" because you're more sensitive. It's more likely that you are just noticing more of what was already there. This is a good thing and a sign of progress in it's self.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  4:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

In my experience, sometimes (but not always) the mind gets louder when I'm about to reach a deeper level of silence/awareness. As though it's trying to distract me and pull me away from practice.

Not trying to get your hopes up, but this is a good sign to keep moving forward with practice and not give up.

8 months of meditation is a good chunk of time. Congrats on sticking with it and the progress you've made so far!

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

DansInEveryWay

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the encouragement guys! your words of experience and outlook were the perfect chill pill; i'll just watch and ride it out. thanks for the e-hug carson!
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  5:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dansineveryway,

These conscious of noisier than usual periods of thought activity can also come from being slightly over in practices. Self-pacing at this point might help things smooth out.

In terms of inquiry, Byron Katie's method is very practical and can be very helpful, check it out at www.thework.com, her book which describes the method best is "Loving What Is".

Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000