Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 headstand practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devrim

Thailand
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  10:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit devrim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i am relatively new to this forum, however i have been reading and reading (such great stuff) but reluctent to write as i feel a little overwhelemed about amount of information here.
i guess this is not the best way to participate in a forum, so from today i am just going to get involved more, please excuse me if my questions have been covered already.

IS THE HEADSTAND PRACTICE CONSIDERED A CROWN PRACTICE

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Devrim,
Take a look at this topic, maybe something here will help.
Headstand

I am sure asana pros will chime in too.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Devrim

I wouldn't consider headstand to be a "crown practice", but it does certainly have some effect on the crown. I think it is essentially when we place undue attention on the crown that we can begin to experience excess purification there. I would suggest that you just remain cautious and conscious of the effects, both delayed and immediate while doing headstand for any length of time.

Love!

P.S. Hopefully some REAL asana pro's will chime in soon
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  1:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by devrim
IS THE HEADSTAND PRACTICE CONSIDERED A CROWN PRACTICE

I used to do headstand as a grounding technique.

The excess energy in the crown would ground into earth.

I also used to hear a sound similar to what is produced when water is boiled and turns into steam/vapours. The sound would expand like the ripples over a still lake when a drop falls in.

A perfect headstand feels like your head (crown) has been nailed/glued into the ground and your legs are straight upwards like an arrow.

I no longer do headstand as now the energy is centered from above and below in the heart area and absorbed there.

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  11:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

...maybe something here will help.
Headstand

Hi Devrim,
I definitely recommend Yogani's post in the above thread: (http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...._ID=833#3459 )

The triangle he mentions there (of which 1 corner is at the head and 2 at the elbows) should be equilateral, at most; elbows closer to each other is quite OK, but not wider apart than that - it would make your base short and unsteady, prone to missing the tipping point. Some people even color-tape the 3 correct corners on the floor, to remind themselves.

A crown practice: energywise quite so, although not literally muscularly: I don't mind calling it the king of asana but it would be more instructive to call it an Upper-arm stand because that's where the weight is (and later, in prolonged headstands, the lactic acid too IMO :-) whereas the head/neck makes just a stabilizer.
After a few years, the upper arms become trained enough to allow a sheet of paper or cardboard to be put between the hair and the mat - while holding the posture.

The benefits of headstands would make a list of lists: anatomy, purification, grounding, energy/kundalini, balancing the body & mind and preparing it for meditation, emotions & world view (shift of perspective), etc. - provided a correct posture, and no hurry, no getting it "jerky".

Enjoy - step by step, at your own pace.

Go to Top of Page

devrim

Thailand
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  12:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit devrim's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
shanti, thank you for that excellent link. there is so many wonderful comments here.
thank you carston
quote:

I think it is essentially when we place undue attention on the crown that we can begin to experience excess purification there.
i have a feeling this is the answer to my question, attention is the key thank you for that.
manigma
quote:

I used to do headstand as a grounding technique.
interesting perspective, i will give it a try.

i have been practicing headstand for over 10 years, and have gone from putting all the weight on the neck, to no weight on the head, to 50% of the weight on the head, and finally now to the present day whatever percent i feel like depending on my feeling. the last technique works best and seems to fit into the AYP open system approach.
i have never felt any over simulation at the crown due to the headstand but have for the most part felt great and at other times felt a neck ache. thank you for helping me understand the place of the 'king of asanas' in relation to AYP and crown practices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000