Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Im able to move prana without breath is it ok ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dnice

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  7:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Thank you for this website

Please i have a question

When i do "mula bandha with vajroli" without any AIR in my stomach , Im able to make it rise really high ,
True it rises when i breath in , BUT, when i have alot of prana in my head im able to bring it up higher or bring it down lower without using the breath , i want to know if this is ok?

I can move it up and down without the breath , is it ok to practice deep spinal breathing without focusing on the breath ?
Because when i try to direct the prana with accordance to exhalation my prana does not go to the "root" fast enough , i usually have to exhale and inhale for the prana to really go down .

any thoughts ?
thank you

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forums dnice!
Thank you for an interesting post. Some thoughts:

The answer depends mainly on how long you've practised pranayamas & meditation and how regularly.
Retention after exhalation (Bahya Kumbhaka) is more powerful, and the withdrawal from the senses it brings about is immediate and more extreme than after inh. (Antara Kumbhaka). That makes self-pacing even more important - no need to rush it.

Yoga-TT courses advise teachers to practise Antara Kumbhaka with beginners for quite some time first, gradually lengthening the retention, before itroducing Bahya Kumbhaka.
Apart from some oxygen shortage and thus more lactic acid (causing sore muscles after practice), there is even some risk of side effects with people who are used neither to yoga nor physical training, especially if there have been any mental health issues before (often, hand in hand with the lack of regular practice, because for ex. self-pacing can sound up-in-the-sky theoretical, then).

In my perception, upward pull on kundalini energy during arousal also became easier when combined with an under-pressure in the belly. This can be induced by Bahya Kumbhaka and the upward part of Uddiyana bandha (rather than the inward part); again, self pacing is important, unless one likes suffocation; if there's food in the stomach, easily digested dishes are preferable (whereas excessive servings, or belly movements, should be avoided... )

Some people are almost born with extatic conductivity, which might explain your moving the energy round the body easily (that's a key ingredient in Tantra), independent of breath. Provided you can really detach from it (for ex., no need to abandon all pranayama pratices beacuse of this one ), it's a gift IMHO.

No matter the degree of one's progress, regular yoga practice is an affordable insurance package during the transition toward an expanded, unselfish awareness. For a period of time (before you embrace life more widely, without expecting a lot in return), it might seem that nothing really matters: Some days, I might feel not only detached but also disconnected, demotivated, deappetized, robotically performing daily tasks for no interesting reason... In which case, it's helpful to decide that yoga still matters even if one "happened" to shirk from food or laundry or whatever, one at least doesn't skip the daily sadhana (even on such a "totally useless" day) because it's the practice that will finally take the mind forward, further from there.
Go to Top of Page

dnice

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  12:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you teacher!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  5:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dnice,

if you move the energy/prana in your body without breathing, the routing may be easier and you will go into more suptle levels faster. But if there are still some major blockages and or your nervous system and your bodily system is not purified enough, it can happen that a lot kevala kumbhka happens ( breathing stops out of itself) but the body can't handle the deficiency of oxygen. In other words, if you deepen into the sushumna without breathing, after some weeks to months your body could become too weak and other health problems can arise.

This happened for me many times over the course of years. The safest way for bodily health and astral/mental/causal cleansing is really in breathing together with going up and down. After some weeks and little months it should be easy for you too to perfectly sync breath with feeling, thought and attention.

Mental spinal breathing also does a lot, but if you can master it with breath, it does even more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000