AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  8:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am just finishing up the best-selling "Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" by Robin Sharma.

This was written in 2000 or thereabouts, a story about a prominent lawyer who leaves his life to become a monk. In my opinion, really a thinly disguised story line to deliver a slew of practices for people to use to improve their lives. I was very impressed with how comprehensive it is in terms of types of daily practices that people can use to improve their circumstances. From meditation, to goal-setting, to yoga asanas, to inquiry, to daily routines, to positive thinking, to service for others. It does not detail sitting practices or go into depth like AYP and is not as practical but there is a lot of useful tools and great ideas.

Definitely has a business slant and application but overall a worthwhile read though as mentioned not at all a riveting story.

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  07:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had avoided reading this book so far because of the its popularity within the business management communitiy. I am reading it now and enjoying it and finding useful techniques in the book. Agree with you Athem not as practical as AYP but easily complimentary.
Go to Top of Page

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link where it is freely available

http://booksonweb.files.wordpress.c...s-sharma.pdf

Edited by - nearoanoke on Jan 05 2012 12:05:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Thanks Near! That helps because my copy has a good 25 pages missing!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  12:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am really enjoying this book and can't seem to stop reading... Thank you for bringing it up brother Anthem

Love,
Ananda
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  05:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just started reading this book...lovely...thank you for aharing it
i never understood workaholics and prestige seekers,it is just not worth it ....we are really blessed to be in this journey...everyone will start this journey at his own time...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  07:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes workaholics just love their work, or are excelling at something. People seem to call them workaholics if they don't like the kind of work being done. True, business men will neglect their families, and are called workaholics because it is a fad to see business as not valuable work.

But if we see their work as valuable we give them more heroic names. People like Mother Theresa, Olympic athletes, Bill Gates, Benjamin Franklin, Leonardo DaVinci are all people who could be called work-a-holics if you were their family, but they contributed greatly to society. Bill Gates' dad thought he was wasting his time in the garage with the computers, before he became one of the richest men in the world, and decided to give most of it to charity.

True, prestige and power seekers can be narcissistic and step on people along the way, except for the 1% who are doing it for the people.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2012 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes off course ...dedication to a goal requires much effort and time...the difference is in the kind of goal and in the deep personal intention behind it....
you know Etherfish...i am sure many believe that we at ayp are yoga workaholics... yogaholics
and it is so true
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  04:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just finished this book...it hinted on many aspects of yoga ...but it did not mention anything about the role of sexual energy in the process of enlightenment...
also it does not mention if the sages of sivana are celibates or not...Juilian is wearing a monk robe, nut nothing is explained concerning this particular aspect?!!!....
also there is much focus about how to master the mind,think positive vizualize etc...but we all know that mastering the mind is an impossible task...the mind should be transcended...
furhtermore visualzing one wants to do or to have is against the core of spirituality, the core is to surrender, to stop wanting things the way you want them to be
it does not mean to become lethargic, just act and let go...
so i will say it is 101 or 201 yoga book....but definitely not advanced ...neverthless i enjoyed it
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  06:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awful book. Cheesy. It made me cringe and I was only a handful of pages in. It lacked sincerity and was a mix of techniques ripped from the pages of great books and plastered on like a bad collage.
An idealised spiritual journey came across as a fabricated farytale, patronisingly told. The Author seems very far from the character he wants to portray.

For those that have not explored these areas it will probably come as a revelation so like most things, even the direst has some merit. However for those already familiar with this direction of spiritual exploration it really isn't the best thing to cast the eyes upon.

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  09:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Monk who sold... was the first self-development book I ever read, and while it certainly isn't timeless literature, it completely changed my life. It was 7 years ago, I was suffering from suicidal depression and had had a temporary psychotic break with auditory hallucinations, which whilst I knew they weren't real were pretty scary all the same. That book not only bought me back from the brink, but gave me the first realization that I could learn to change my thoughts, habits and behaviors and find happiness by changing myself instead of hoping that the world would somehow do exactly what I wanted it to all the time. It gave me back sanity and I quickly recovered from everything I'd been through, (including the psychotic break, lol) using that and other resources including meditation, without ever using medication or seeing a shrink.

So thank you Robin Sharma :-) I will always remember reading that book. I've oscillated through various attitudes to self-help: loved it, become sick of it and cynical about it, and as my heart has opened more and more the ultimate conclusion I have is that if you write something and it helps to improve just one or two people's lives, you've done a good job. In this book's case, it was the catalyst for a complete transformation in my life, and saved me from insanity and possibly suicide.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2012 :  10:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is that all? no, just kidding. That's incredible.
The same book having such widely diverse effects on two people who are heading the same way on different paths!
It goes to show that enlightenment comes from within us, not the outside.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  05:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

all is good
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  09:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking to my sister about something similar. She has been staying at a Buddhist centre for the last year and felt that the altar statues were not part of her personal journey.

Gurus I think are like magnets. Sometimes the poles oppose and sometimes they attract. None the less, like a game of Pinball, eventually the bumpers and traps push us onwards.

For Mr A the book was attraction at the right time, for me it is repulsion. Two sides of the same coin.

All good as M says

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  09:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And we can learn for non-gurus too.
I was helped a great deal by Castaneda, whose work was quite likely a big hoax. Although he was very knowledgable of spiritual writings, he wrote about sorcery.
And I have learned from other people who had no intention of teaching or being anything spiritual.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

And we can learn for non-gurus too.

I think Gurus are everything and anything. They don't need an official title, or be recognised in some way. Some of my greatest Gurus were tv adverts.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2012 :  5:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000