Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 An interesting article from the NY Times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  4:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/s...edelics.html

Love!

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  7:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/s...edelics.html

Love!

.... Dude ... I was *SO* going to post this .... but you beat me to it (*Awesome*!) ... and indeed interesting!

It seems that the medical community is finally acknowledging something we've discussed here at the forum for some time ..... or, at least, they're starting to, which is:

Hallucinogens can be helpful for people with terminal illness or other deep-seated health issues (addiction, depression, and so on), *because* hallucinogens can provide the experience of ego-cessation, by simply ingesting them.

As I've said before, I feel that yoga/meditation are ultimately better ways to go, if possible, for a variety of reasons, *but* not necessarily in health situations such as these, because of the time that yoga-meditation can take to facilitate ego-cessation, even in brief experience (i.e. samadhi).

And so "emergency ego-dissolving" via hallucinogens is not only appropriate and applicable in such situations, in my opinion, it also appears to be *superior* in its effects to all other treatment modalities ..... specifically because of the ego-cessation component, which nothing other than yoga/meditation (or equivalent spiritual practices) provides, but which can take quite a bit of time. Time that people in emergency health situations may not have.

I can ultimately see the two modalities become complimentary, especially for people suffering with depression and addiction: start with hallucinogens, help the patient see the falsity of ego ... and then introduce yoga and meditation to naturally facilitate the changes which will help ego not to arise. Without ego, neither depression nor addiction is possible, of course.

We're on the cusp, I would say, of a major revolution, in terms of the fundamental power of consciousness with respect to health, and with respect to the potential adoption of modalities such as hallucinogens and yoga/meditation, which have previously been more-or-less utterly disregarded by the medical mainstream.

Considering the fact that existing treatments for things such as addiction and depression have essentially dismal success rates ..... this will likely be very, very good news for people suffering with these issues (meaning: a true and permanent cure may well be available, and the dots to show how this can be done are finally being connected).

And kudos to the NY Times for running this!!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  10:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I just started reading DMT: The Spirit Molecule. I've got a friend who is battling cancer right now and have been thinking about suggesting these types of studies to him, though I think he's tried hallucinogens before.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  01:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rick Strassman's book is alright, but I enjoyed Jeremy Narby's "The Cosmic Serpent, DNA and the Origins of Knowledge" much more: http://deoxy.org/narbystew.htm

Love!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000