Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Gnosis / Kabbalah / Universal Knowledge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  11:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I was wondering whether gnosis (knowledge)is very similar to the knowledge gained whilst undertaking yoga practices?

I have been interested in the kabbalah and symbology that gnostics (particularly Samael Aun Weor) who seem to have unbounded access or knowledge of, and have written much about in the astral realms and was wondering if this is a side-effect of yoga practices/opening of the nervous system and third eye or whether this is a different pathway?

Apparently dream yoga, or astral travel whilst in the dream state grants access to the higher plane & much learning can be done there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! : )

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 07 2010 11:40:53 PM

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  11:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DAMOMCK

Hi all,

I was wondering whether gnosis (knowledge)is very similar to the knowledge gained whilst undertaking yoga practices?

I have been interested in the kabbalah and symbology that gnostics (particularly Samael Aun Weor) who seem to have unbounded access or knowledge of, and have written much about in the astral realms and was wondering if this is a side-effect of yoga practices/opening of the nervous system and third eye or whether this is a different pathway?

Apparently dream yoga, or astral travel whilst in the dream state grants access to the higher plane & much learning can be done there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! : )

Hi Damomck,

Welcome to the AYP Forum!

Gnosis in Western Esotericism, and Jnana in Yogic paths literally mean the same thing: Knowing.

Certain Gnostic groups, such as Samael Aun Weor's have a lot of deep wisdom, but I've found some things with his material that don't quite resonate comfortably, either (though "your mileage may vary", as they say).

In my experience, a good indicator of a given group's teachings, resides in how conscious, clear, open and caring the leader/teacher is.

Partially for this reason, partially for the quality of the information, and partially for the synthesis of Eastern/Western esoteric information, I highly recommend the work of Tau Malachi and the Sophian Gnosticism Fellowship, at http://sophian.org

And an important point: any valid, complete path can ultimate take you all the way to liberation; some paths just focus more on scenery (astral planes and forms and whatnot).

I highly recommend the approach of "liberation first" .... which is how AYP approaches things, as does the Sophian Fellowship, mentioned above.

The reason for this, is: it's so very easy to get lost in the fascination of various astral planes .... without any spiritual benefit to doing so. Liberation basically is access to full range of consciousness at will .. as well as the only aspect of spiritual practice that truly matters .... and so, I'd said: go for liberation, first ... which means pretty much ignoring various planes on the way "up" (opening into liberation), and then freely enjoying all aspects of consciousness as you like.

And so, again, to answer your initial question:

Same results via different pathways ..... with very different focus; some paths indulge focus on astral planes, some do not ..... such as AYP and Sophian Gnosticism, and I'm recommending the ones who do not, as the best resources for serious, liberation-oriented practice.

I hope that's helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Apr 14 2010 7:25:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  1:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kirtanman,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to my question! I was starting to think no-one knew what I was referring to and thought I may have been totally off track hehe

I understand exactly what you mean about Aun Weor's teachings not quite resonating comfortably - although I am intrigued about some of the topics he discusses & the depth of knowledge he possesses, some aspects of his teachings seem almost fanatical (no ill intent meant to the people involved in this btw)

Since stumbling upon the AYP website some 6 months ago, I feel I have finally found exactly what I have been searching for all these years. Just reading the first lesson (10) on the site had me floored because it mirrored precisely my thoughts. It is apparent how conscious, clear, open and caring (using your words here)that Yogani comes across and you are totally right - if something RESONATES with us, we have to go with it.

I look forward to checking out the Sophian Gnositicism website you suggested. No doubt that too is something that will resonate with me also.

Thanks again Kirtanman,

Damien
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  8:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DAMOMCK

Hello Kirtanman,

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to my question! I was starting to think no-one knew what I was referring to and thought I may have been totally off track hehe

I understand exactly what you mean about Aun Weor's teachings not quite resonating comfortably - although I am intrigued about some of the topics he discusses & the depth of knowledge he possesses, some aspects of his teachings seem almost fanatical (no ill intent meant to the people involved in this btw)

Since stumbling upon the AYP website some 6 months ago, I feel I have finally found exactly what I have been searching for all these years. Just reading the first lesson (10) on the site had me floored because it mirrored precisely my thoughts. It is apparent how conscious, clear, open and caring (using your words here)that Yogani comes across and you are totally right - if something RESONATES with us, we have to go with it.

I look forward to checking out the Sophian Gnositicism website you suggested. No doubt that too is something that will resonate with me also.

Thanks again Kirtanman,

Damien

Hi Damien,

No problem; you're very welcome.

Another site that you might enjoy, and which may help you "connect the dots" in terms of some of the deeper consciousness-related symbolism of Kabbalah, is http://psyche.com (based on the work of Kabbalist Carlo Suares).

All the best!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  08:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
G'day Kirtanman,

I had a bit of a read of some of Tau Malachi's books on Amazon tonight and I've got to say that they were right up my alley!!! I ended up purchasing a few in the end because he writes in a very humbling and matter-of-fact way (sort of similar to Yogani) that instantly resonated with me! -Sorry for stealing your word again Kirtanman haha! (resonated, I'm referring to)

Anyways, thanks for putting me onto him - you were spot on with what I was after.

Will check out psyche.com when I get a chance also.

Kind Regards,

Damien
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000